Card fan spinning but not detected - ati 5850

maplecrete

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
The problem I have no is that my video card fan is spinning but my computer is not able to detect it. It's a newly built pc and these are the specs:

intel i5 3570
MSI Z77A GD65
Radeon HD 5850
OCZ 700w Stealthxstream 2
8gb of ram
120gb ssd
1tb hdd

The 5850 uses two 6 pin connectors but my psu only has one but after some research this shouldn't make unable to be detected as i've seen posts of others having using only one connector.

I choose PEG as the primary boot option in my bios. This motherboard doesn't seem to have an option to disable the integrated video in the BIOS so i did it under system>device manager but this still didn't work. I get video when i plug my hdmi into the motherboard but when i change it to the card i get a black screen. I tried all 3 of my pci-3 slots and none of them works.

I don't have another psu or card i can try so im stuck with these parts. It could be the motherboard but i'd like to think that all 3 pci slots are not broken.

please help!

Solution
I'd say only having the 1 six pin sounds like the culprit. They sell molex -> PCI-e adapter, you may have even got one with your vid card. Try one of those and see if it works.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Probably from higher quality power supplies, yours sadly is not.

You might need to buy an adapter so you can plug in both 6-pins in the card.

xFriarx

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I'd say only having the 1 six pin sounds like the culprit. They sell molex -> PCI-e adapter, you may have even got one with your vid card. Try one of those and see if it works.

Solution

maplecrete

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

I actually got the psu and card from a friend and i just asked him about it. Apparently he forgot to put the molex to 6pin converter in the box. At least for now, this seems to be the problem. I will grab a converter tomorrow to test it out and hopefully everything will work.

Thanks for the input.