Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Card fan spinning but not detected - ati 5850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2012 10:23:41 PM

The problem I have no is that my video card fan is spinning but my computer is not able to detect it. It's a newly built pc and these are the specs:

intel i5 3570
MSI Z77A GD65
Radeon HD 5850
OCZ 700w Stealthxstream 2
8gb of ram
120gb ssd
1tb hdd

The 5850 uses two 6 pin connectors but my psu only has one but after some research this shouldn't make unable to be detected as i've seen posts of others having using only one connector.

I choose PEG as the primary boot option in my bios. This motherboard doesn't seem to have an option to disable the integrated video in the BIOS so i did it under system>device manager but this still didn't work. I get video when i plug my hdmi into the motherboard but when i change it to the card i get a black screen. I tried all 3 of my pci-3 slots and none of them works.

I don't have another psu or card i can try so im stuck with these parts. It could be the motherboard but i'd like to think that all 3 pci slots are not broken.

please help!
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 10:39:09 PM

maplecrete said:
The problem I have no is that my video card fan is spinning but my computer is not able to detect it. It's a newly built pc and these are the specs:

intel i5 3570
MSI Z77A GD65
Radeon HD 5850
OCZ 700w Stealthxstream 2
8gb of ram
120gb ssd
1tb hdd

The 5850 uses two 6 pin connectors but my psu only has one but after some research this shouldn't make unable to be detected as i've seen posts of others having using only one connector.

I choose PEG as the primary boot option in my bios. This motherboard doesn't seem to have an option to disable the integrated video in the BIOS so i did it under system>device manager but this still didn't work. I get video when i plug my hdmi into the motherboard but when i change it to the card i get a black screen. I tried all 3 of my pci-3 slots and none of them works.

I don't have another psu or card i can try so im stuck with these parts. It could be the motherboard but i'd like to think that all 3 pci slots are not broken.

please help!

Probably from higher quality power supplies, yours sadly is not.

You might need to buy an adapter so you can plug in both 6-pins in the card.
m
l

Best solution

November 29, 2012 10:49:45 PM

I'd say only having the 1 six pin sounds like the culprit. They sell molex -> PCI-e adapter, you may have even got one with your vid card. Try one of those and see if it works.
Related resources
November 29, 2012 10:54:30 PM

maxalge said:
Probably from higher quality power supplies, yours sadly is not.

You might need to buy an adapter so you can plug in both 6-pins in the card.

xFriarx said:
I'd say only having the 1 six pin sounds like the culprit. They sell molex -> PCI-e adapter, you may have even got one with your vid card. Try one of those and see if it works.

I actually got the psu and card from a friend and i just asked him about it. Apparently he forgot to put the molex to 6pin converter in the box. At least for now, this seems to be the problem. I will grab a converter tomorrow to test it out and hopefully everything will work.

Thanks for the input.
m
l
December 10, 2012 1:34:30 AM

Best answer selected by maplecrete.
m
l
!