Display cycling through input modes before windows login

fracta11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hi, I've been racking my brain and googling the *** out of the internet the last few days to try and figure why my monitor is doing this: when I power on/restart my pc in between the windows logo and the login screen my monitor will cycle through the input modes like it's losing connection. To be clear I can still log in but it causes a 5 secondish delay it's really annoying, and would like to know if anyone has any ideas to fix it. I recently basically replaced almost everything in it, new Mobo/CPU/RAM/Video Card/SSD. I've had the video card for almost a month now, and it's been doing fine so I really don't think it's that. It just started happening when I reinstalled Windows 7. My monitor is attached through DVI when it happens, if I attach it to HDMI it doesn't cycle through as far as I can tell. I do have a TV hooked up through HDMI typically running as duplicate display, I've tried starting w/ just my monitor hooked up, and it will still do it. I also have my PCI set to PEG in the bios, so I'm pretty sure it's using my gpu and not the integrated graphics.

my specs:
acer S232HL (analog) monitor
msi m-power mobo
i5 ivy bridge cpu
corsair 2133mhz ram
msi gtx 660 ti pe gpu
zuma 850 watt psu
ocz vertex 4 128gb ssd
wd caviar black 1.5 tb data drive
seagate 2 tb data drive

if anyone has any idea please let me know, it would be much appreciate! thank you!

Solution
Maybe the SSD just loads it differently(faster) and somehow you get to see it now. I know my old screen did have an option to disable it, but my current ones does not, but it just stays on that input.

I also looked at the manual for that monitor and saw nothing about disabling it.

It looks like you are on VGA? does DVI or HDMI do it as well?
Just to be clear, The screen it self starts swapping inputs just before you get into windows? So it goes from lets say VGA -> DVI -> HDMI then back to VGA?

If so

When loading windows, The video driver takes over from the basic functional driver. At this point the screen may loose in communication with the monitor(only for a second or 2). Some screens react to this by checking other inputs for signal. When non are found they move on until they get back to your PC. By this point you get video and life goes on.

I would see if you have an option to disable this feature on your monitor.

fracta11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Yes, that's precisely what happens.

That's pretty much what I assumed was happening, but just wanted to be sure since I haven't put a PC together in like ten years haha. I've already looked through all my monitor options, and haven't found anything that would help it stop. I feel like it didn't do this before, but maybe I'm mistaken. Oh well just a minor inconvenience I guess (would be nice to fix this though since my new SSD loads Windows before my screen can cycle back to the login screen ha) :/. Thank you for the help though!

Maybe the SSD just loads it differently(faster) and somehow you get to see it now. I know my old screen did have an option to disable it, but my current ones does not, but it just stays on that input.

I also looked at the manual for that monitor and saw nothing about disabling it.

It looks like you are on VGA? does DVI or HDMI do it as well?

Solution
This part made me think it was VGA

"acer S232HL (analog) monitor" as most would say "acer S232HL (digital) monitor"

I am not sure if one of the other inputs waits a bit longer to switch or not. VGA is not quite as sharp as DVI/HDMI, but for a test it may be an idea.

fracta11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
So just to update, I ended up having to reinstall windows because of an unrelated matter, but this time I only connected my main monitor while installing windows and updating drivers. After I was completely done updating everything I connected my TV through the HDMI cable, and that fixed the problem somehow.