Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pioneer Elite?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
October 26, 2004 8:09:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

'X-No-archive: yes'

Looking to replace my LD player and would like suggestions for a upgrade.
I'm assuming prices of players should be dropping rapidly with the DVD
release of Star Wars. Pretty sure I want a Pioneer Elite model but I am
open to any suggestions. A player with DVD would be nice but not necessary.
Please recommend model and price I should expect to pay. I am planning on
watching ebay over next few weeks but if you have other suggestions I would
appreciate those also.

Thanks
Brian

More about : pioneer elite

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 2:41:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

First, what do you have now?

Second, why do you need an Elite model? The CLD-D704 is a very good unit.

Third, Star Wars was not the single item keeping LD people around, many
other factors.

Also; I would avoid the DVL combo units as the picture quality is a step
down from the 704 and they cost more. They are also harder to work on when
you have problems.

Kurtis


"brian" <brianblockinger@sbcnospampleaseglobal.net> wrote in message
news:r6kfd.23647$Qv5.6310@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> 'X-No-archive: yes'
>
> Looking to replace my LD player and would like suggestions for a upgrade.
> I'm assuming prices of players should be dropping rapidly with the DVD
> release of Star Wars. Pretty sure I want a Pioneer Elite model but I am
> open to any suggestions. A player with DVD would be nice but not
> necessary.
> Please recommend model and price I should expect to pay. I am planning on
> watching ebay over next few weeks but if you have other suggestions I
> would
> appreciate those also.
>
> Thanks
> Brian
>
>
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 5:08:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

>From: "brian" brianblockinger@sbcnospampleaseglobal.net

>Looking to replace my LD player and would like suggestions for a upgrade

I am sure our other experts will reply here. For best results they say do not
get a combo ld/dvd player.
Related resources
October 27, 2004 8:00:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

'X-No-archive: yes'

Hello Kurtis

Thanks for your reply


> First, what do you have now?

I have a Pioneer CLD??? That works maybe one out of 50 time you press play.
I took it for repair and for $30.00 the shop told me it was not worth
fixing.


> Second, why do you need an Elite model? The CLD-D704 is a very good unit.

I recently purchased a VSX-55RXi Elite Receiver. I am looking to upgrade
most of my system and I would like to keep it all Elite if I can. I am just
geeky that way.


> Third, Star Wars was not the single item keeping LD people around, many
> other factors.

I totally understand that but I have always assumed Star Wars was a huge
factor for a lot of LD die hards. Which would lead to a recent flood of
available players???? I just started seriously looking this week so I may
be way off with this idea. My main LD interest are rare music vids.

> Also; I would avoid the DVL combo units as the picture quality is a step
> down from the 704 and they cost more.

Thanks for the advice. Is the "704" considered the best? Does it play cd
video [that is not real important]. The main reason I was thinking of a
combo unit is because they seem to be the last ones made and I would like my
player to be as new as possible.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brian



They are also harder to work on when
> you have problems.
>
> Kurtis
>
>
> "brian" <brianblockinger@sbcnospampleaseglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:r6kfd.23647$Qv5.6310@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> > 'X-No-archive: yes'
> >
> > Looking to replace my LD player and would like suggestions for a
upgrade.
> > I'm assuming prices of players should be dropping rapidly with the DVD
> > release of Star Wars. Pretty sure I want a Pioneer Elite model but I am
> > open to any suggestions. A player with DVD would be nice but not
> > necessary.
> > Please recommend model and price I should expect to pay. I am planning
on
> > watching ebay over next few weeks but if you have other suggestions I
> > would
> > appreciate those also.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Brian
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 9:44:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

I think the release of the Star Wars DVD will have the opposite effect!
Instead of causing a flood of available players, it might cause a few
people to BUY players, once they realize that the ONLY unaltered
versions of the film on disc, are on laserdisc!
Kevin.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 2:45:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe it would both decrease and increase sales on LD
players and the net result is no change???? :-)


KevHaw@webtv.net (Kevin Hawerchuk) wrote in message news:<12295-417F6DED-197@storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net>...
> I think the release of the Star Wars DVD will have the opposite effect!
> Instead of causing a flood of available players, it might cause a few
> people to BUY players, once they realize that the ONLY unaltered
> versions of the film on disc, are on laserdisc!
> Kevin.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 10:55:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

>From: pmjones@imajis.com (Pete Jones)

>Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe it would both decrease and increase sales on LD
>players and the net result is no change????


That depends on the number of ld enthusiasts that die and the addition of new
enthusiasts.
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 10:55:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

john339077353@cs.com (John339077353) wrote in message news:<20041027145500.24956.00003632@mb-m20.news.cs.com>...
> >From: pmjones@imajis.com (Pete Jones)
>
> >Hmmmmmmmmm, maybe it would both decrease and increase sales on LD
> >players and the net result is no change????
>
>
> That depends on the number of ld enthusiasts that die and the addition of new
> enthusiasts.

One thing for sure, it DID result in an increase of the price of the
Star Wars "original" LDs, just look at the stats.
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 2:11:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

The 704 is the best non-Elite unit and the best bang for your buck.

There are other units that are considered the best, they are Japanese
imports but the price is 4X higher than the 704. Unless you are a picky
videophile the 704 will make you more than happy. It was also the last high
performance non-Elite US model made. The Japanese models were made until
2002 or 2003, Nicolas would know when they stopped.

Kurtis

"brian" <brianblockinger@sbcnospampleaseglobal.net> wrote in message
news:T3Ffd.14054$Rf1.4090@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
>
>
> 'X-No-archive: yes'
>
> Hello Kurtis
>
> Thanks for your reply
>
>
>> First, what do you have now?
>
> I have a Pioneer CLD??? That works maybe one out of 50 time you press
> play.
> I took it for repair and for $30.00 the shop told me it was not worth
> fixing.
>
>
>> Second, why do you need an Elite model? The CLD-D704 is a very good
>> unit.
>
> I recently purchased a VSX-55RXi Elite Receiver. I am looking to upgrade
> most of my system and I would like to keep it all Elite if I can. I am
> just
> geeky that way.
>
>
>> Third, Star Wars was not the single item keeping LD people around, many
>> other factors.
>
> I totally understand that but I have always assumed Star Wars was a huge
> factor for a lot of LD die hards. Which would lead to a recent flood of
> available players???? I just started seriously looking this week so I may
> be way off with this idea. My main LD interest are rare music vids.
>
>> Also; I would avoid the DVL combo units as the picture quality is a step
>> down from the 704 and they cost more.
>
> Thanks for the advice. Is the "704" considered the best? Does it play cd
> video [that is not real important]. The main reason I was thinking of a
> combo unit is because they seem to be the last ones made and I would like
> my
> player to be as new as possible.
>
> Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Brian
>
>
>
> They are also harder to work on when
>> you have problems.
>>
>> Kurtis
>>
>>
>> "brian" <brianblockinger@sbcnospampleaseglobal.net> wrote in message
>> news:r6kfd.23647$Qv5.6310@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
>> > 'X-No-archive: yes'
>> >
>> > Looking to replace my LD player and would like suggestions for a
> upgrade.
>> > I'm assuming prices of players should be dropping rapidly with the DVD
>> > release of Star Wars. Pretty sure I want a Pioneer Elite model but I
>> > am
>> > open to any suggestions. A player with DVD would be nice but not
>> > necessary.
>> > Please recommend model and price I should expect to pay. I am planning
> on
>> > watching ebay over next few weeks but if you have other suggestions I
>> > would
>> > appreciate those also.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Brian
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 4:39:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

"Kurtis Bahr" <kbahr@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<PKudnSXukIAxyB3cRVn-sQ@comcast.com>...
> The 704 is the best non-Elite unit and the best bang for your buck.
>
> There are other units that are considered the best, they are Japanese
> imports but the price is 4X higher than the 704. Unless you are a picky
> videophile the 704 will make you more than happy. It was also the last high
> performance non-Elite US model made. The Japanese models were made until
> 2002 or 2003, Nicolas would know when they stopped.
>
> Kurtis
>

Hi-end LD-S9, HLD-X9 and DVL-H9 were built until May 2002, filling
orders received until January 2002.

Combi DVL-919 and entry level CLD-R5 are still in production. I have
seen some 919 with a build date of July 2004.
!