Sign in with
Your question

Phishing pop up. Should I reinstall Windows 7?

Tags:
  • Security
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
March 6, 2012 2:03:38 AM

Hello,

I was accessing my credit card account yesterday on my home PC and saw a strange pop-up asking me to enter all the important information (DOB, SSN, ATM # etc) because it was a security measure. This immediately looked suspicious so I changed all my important passwords on my Mac laptop.

When this was happening, I saw process in Task Manager called "obiqul.exe" with a name of "Liar Nickel Cod". I then did a full system scan using Avast free edition and today I scanned by PC again with Superantispyware. These programs only found some cookies. I deleted "obiqul.exe" which was in my user forum and went through the registry and deleted everything that's related to it. Then I did a system scan again and the result was clean.

AFAIK, my PC is running fine. There are haven't been any strange popups since and I haven't seen any weird processes. But do you all think I should still reinstall Windows just to be safe?

Thanks!

Nick

More about : phishing pop reinstall windows

a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
March 6, 2012 2:30:02 AM

mrcultureshock said:
Hello,

I was accessing my credit card account yesterday on my home PC and saw a strange pop-up asking me to enter all the important information (DOB, SSN, ATM # etc) because it was a security measure. This immediately looked suspicious so I changed all my important passwords on my Mac laptop.

When this was happening, I saw process in Task Manager called "obiqul.exe" with a name of "Liar Nickel Cod". I then did a full system scan using Avast free edition and today I scanned by PC again with Superantispyware. These programs only found some cookies. I deleted "obiqul.exe" which was in my user forum and went through the registry and deleted everything that's related to it. Then I did a system scan again and the result was clean.

AFAIK, my PC is running fine. There are haven't been any strange popups since and I haven't seen any weird processes. But do you all think I should still reinstall Windows just to be safe?

Thanks!

Nick

@Nick: The scans you ran did not find anything but cookies when you ran 1st time either, so a clean scan after removing registry references, doesn't really prove anything. Could be that those are random names, not in a signature database. You did good in changing passwords & removing entries in registry, though. You should also consider removing all restore points, so that you do not reintroduce the infection accidentally. IMO, reinstall the OS is the safe thing to do. And if you choose to do so, afterward, I would change all passwords a 2nd time, to something yet different.
m
l
!