Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it okay to connect all of this to one PSU cable then the mobo?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Power Supplies
  • Fan
  • Cable
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2013 1:09:09 AM

Motherboard - ASRock 970 Extreme 3
Case - AZZA Orion 202 EVO
Power Supply - Corsair TX650 V2

In my chassis, each fan (3) has a separate (4-prong) female and male cord. There is also a 4th set of these cords in the front of the case, what are those for first of all?

I am wondering if it would be okay (barring what that 4th set is obviously) to use one cable from the power supply with 4 female ends to attach to all 4 of those sets with their male ends. Then, at the last fan that cable hits in the back of the case, using that fan's female end for an adapter to connect to CHA FAN 1 on the motherboard.

The only thing I've been told about this so far is they will all run at the same speed if done this way, unless I run Speed Fan(?) and edit the fan speeds from there. Any suggestions on the best way to do this are appreciated.

Thanks for any help

P.S. While I'm here. I haven't opened my Asus HD7850 yet, but if it has 2 PCI slots, do I use both of those? Since my PSU has two cables for that.

More about : connect psu cable mobo

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2013 1:19:55 AM

The fans would work, unless they use tons of power. When it says dual slot, it means it takes up to slots, it doesn't connect to the mobo twice.
January 14, 2013 1:25:05 AM

The second part of your answer - are you referring to the graphics card? Sorry, I meant the connection between the power supply and graphics card, not the mobo. I think I meant PCI-E. Do I plug in both power PCI-E cables into the graphics card if it has slots for two of those?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2013 1:41:18 AM

I believe your card only needs one connector. But yes you plug in two if it has 2.
m
l
January 14, 2013 1:50:02 AM

Good to know - and the only thing I'm still not sure about is the set of these (ignore the middle bit). There's 3 sets of those that are for fans, and I don't know what the last one is connected to. Something in the front of the case.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2013 2:24:53 AM

Of what? You need to use a noun before you use a pronoun.
m
l
January 14, 2013 2:32:11 AM

Sorry, it was a link to an image. The male/female cable sets the 3 fans have. There's a 4th set but I have no idea what its connected to (or if I can plug it on the same power supply cable as the 3 fans).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2013 2:44:57 AM

You only use the power connectors that are needed.
m
l
January 14, 2013 2:50:38 AM

Yes, but this 4th set of power connectors is for something, I just can't see what it's for/stemming from. Any ideas of what it's for?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2013 2:57:41 AM

what is the power connector. If it is molex, you probably don't need it.
m
l
January 14, 2013 2:59:25 AM

Yep it's a molex just like the fans. Looks like it runs up the front of the case to somewhere. Thanks for everything :) 
m
l
January 14, 2013 3:04:31 AM

Best answer selected by Swigelf.
m
l
!