Sign in with
Your question

Dual Monitor setup w/ Legacy monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2012 1:28:59 AM

PC: CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1327 Desktop PC Intel Core i7 3820(3.60GHz) 8GB DDR3 2TB HDD Capacity AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Monitors: Asus VE278Q w/ all standard connectors 2) Dell 1700FP (max rez 1280 x 1024) VGA.

YeahIi know the Dell is a dinosaur. Honestly I just need it to keep a web browser open for research while doing more eye catching things on the Asus. Is it possible to set them both up to run and if so, how? Thanks for any help you can offer!
a b C Monitor
November 30, 2012 1:45:20 AM

Yeahhh... You've tried plugging them both in, right?
m
l
November 30, 2012 8:54:53 PM

Appreciate the sarcasm. Really. I do. But no. No VGA connector on the 7850. DVI and mini display ports and an HDMI port. sooo back to the question at hand. Asus is hooked to DVI port currently. Old Dell sits idly by hoping for work to do. Not so familiar with the mini display port or HDMI hookups. The Asus does have a DP out but not sure if that can be adapted for VGA? Assuming not. Hoping so. lol.
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2012 1:01:12 AM

So... I got an automated email from Tom's asking if I'd received an answer to my request and to vote for the best one in order to be helpful to others sharing my plight. So far, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of advice or insight on the matter. Anyone have any ideas? adapters? patch cords or anything that I might try? Thanks in advance for your help.
m
l
December 14, 2012 7:26:34 PM

I have a geforce 550 and with a dvi to vga adapter, I can output an old lcd screen that only accepts VGA input.

So your 7850 should be able to do the same with a DVI-VGA adapter.

Just make sure your adaptor fits the the correct DVI configuration - Check here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
m
l
December 16, 2012 9:10:17 PM

Thanks for that Real_GM! Any ideas as to whether I can put a splitter on that? Or rather, a splitter in the the DVI connection which I can then run half of into the 7850 (DVI) and the other half to the adapter to the VGA on my old dell? Basically... will I run into trouble splitting the signal? And thanks for the link!
m
l
!