Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Poorer than expected 7970 performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2012 3:27:42 AM

I just bought this 7970 off newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am really disappointed in the performance. It doesn't seem to run any better than my old 6970. I can't seem to max anything out (Borderlands 2, Shogun 2, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution) and get FPS > 30. Don't even get me started on Assassin's Creed 3-- my 6970 DID perform much better there. I am running Catalyst 12.11b.

Is anybody else having these issues? Is this a driver thing or should I exchange for an XFX 7970?

Here is my setup:

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8190MB RAM
Page File: 2719MB used, 13659MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Thanks!
November 30, 2012 2:22:26 PM

What resolution are you maxing these settings on? Honestly I have two cards and I could imagine one wouldn't do that bad.
November 30, 2012 3:10:24 PM

beethree said:
What resolution are you maxing these settings on? Honestly I have two cards and I could imagine one wouldn't do that bad.

1900 x 1080. Nothing at all outlandish. You would think that a 7970 would be able to max these games out at that resolution. But in Assassin's creed 3, it is worse than my 6950.
Related resources
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 3:19:29 PM

I would say your cpu is holding it back
November 30, 2012 3:33:27 PM

I would say you should have bought another 6970 and do CF.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 3:38:24 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I would say your cpu is holding it back

I also believe it is your cpu holding you back... try overclocking it and see if your FPS improves( or go down to lower graphic settings and see if your fps goes up or stays fairly close to the same).
November 30, 2012 3:45:23 PM

How could it be my CPU when my 6970 did just fine? I had the same CPU running the 6970.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 3:47:49 PM

I totally disagree your cpu is holding you back. Results couldn't get worse moving to a more powerfulcard. They could possibly stay the same depending on the cards but getting worse is driver related or lack of power (PSU related)

I just linked this article for another similar question. It's in german but the results charts don't lie.

Your CPU is virtually identical in performance

http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/modules/smartsection/...
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 3:47:57 PM

sbmohr75 said:
How could it be my CPU when my 6970 did just fine? I had the same CPU running the 6970.

What do you mean the 6970 did just fine? You said you got the same FPS for me most part with the 7970 as the 6970... meaning most likely it is your CPU limiting your FPS...
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 3:50:27 PM

spentshells said:
I totally disagree your cpu is holding you back. Results couldn't get worse moving to a more powerfulcard. They could possibly stay the same depending on the cards but getting worse is driver related or lack of power (PSU related)

I just linked this article for another similar question. It's in german but the results charts don't lie.

Your CPU is virtually identical in performance

http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/modules/smartsection/...

I'm confused as what you are trying to show here... your benchmarks have NONE of the games he has listed...
November 30, 2012 3:52:42 PM

run a drive sweeper and update your drivers, I just bought that same card (I do have a i5-3570k though) and it maxes out all my games @ 2560x1440 with 2 extra 1080p monitors on each side doing youtube videos and watching e-mail.

also, if by chance it is your CPU (which I kinda doubt) but if you try over clocking it, your FPS should jump up IF it's the bottle neck. see if you can squeeze .5Ghz out of it and let us know if your frames bump up.

low as they are they, I'm guessing driver issue! hope you get the problem figured out, like I said I bought the same card on sale just like you and it's faster then my 2 6870s
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 3:53:02 PM

Derza10 said:
What do you mean the 6970 did just fine? You said you got the same FPS for me most part with the 7970 as the 6970... meaning most likely it is your CPU limiting your FPS...
+1
November 30, 2012 3:57:20 PM

Guys, I appreciate the feedback, and I will try to overclock my CPU. I just don't see how it could be my CPU. While I know it is not the newest, it certainly is no slouch and is much more powerful than whatever an Xbox 360 has, yet I am getting similar performance to an Xbox.
November 30, 2012 3:59:54 PM

mcopinger said:
run a drive sweeper and update your drivers, I just bought that same card (I do have a i5-3570k though) and it maxes out all my games @ 2560x1440 with 2 extra 1080p monitors on each side doing youtube videos and watching e-mail.

also, if by chance it is your CPU (which I kinda doubt) but if you try over clocking it, your FPS should jump up IF it's the bottle neck. see if you can squeeze .5Ghz out of it and let us know if your frames bump up.

low as they are they, I'm guessing driver issue! hope you get the problem figured out, like I said I bought the same card on sale just like you and it's faster then my 2 6870s

What version of catalyst are you running?
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 4:02:55 PM

sbmohr75 said:
Guys, I appreciate the feedback, and I will try to overclock my CPU. I just don't see how it could be my CPU. While I know it is not the newest, it certainly is no slouch and is much more powerful than whatever an Xbox 360 has, yet I am getting similar performance to an Xbox.

It maybe another issue but it is easy to test the CPU bottleneck, if you don't want to OC your cpu to test it, just lower your graphic settings and if your FPS don't really go up much then it is your CPU, if they go up a lot it could be another issue.
November 30, 2012 4:04:12 PM

I'm running 12.10 for windows 8. when I installed my 7970 (switching from my 6870 CF) I did not have to update any drivers either. so hopefully 12.10 will help ya out. unless you already have it.
a c 216 U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 4:08:11 PM

sbmohr75 said:
1900 x 1080. Nothing at all outlandish. You would think that a 7970 would be able to max these games out at that resolution. But in Assassin's creed 3, it is worse than my 6950.

Don't base anything on AC3. Everything I have heard about it has been about how horribly ported it is. It is buggy as hell and CPU bound as well.

How do other games play?
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 4:16:32 PM

Derza10 said:
I'm confused as what you are trying to show here... your benchmarks have NONE of the games he has listed...

FPS going down when card is upgraded is no possible. This demonstrates that.

(Borderlands 2, Shogun 2, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution) all games listed have lower requirements than the games listed in the review. I hope that clears it up for you.

Also he said they worked well before this indicates its not a CPU problem. It seemed obvious to me but just in case Ill throw it in
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 4:36:04 PM

spentshells said:
FPS going down when card is upgraded is no possible. This demonstrates that.

(Borderlands 2, Shogun 2, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution) all games listed have lower requirements than the games listed in the review. I hope that clears it up for you.

Also he said they worked well before this indicates its not a CPU problem. It seemed obvious to me but just in case Ill throw it in

Huh? he never said they worked well before.. he said they are performing almost the same as before. The game you listed is more GPU intensive not CPU... I could link random benchmarks of unrelated information and prove anything with your logic.

A 6970 should be getting better than 30 fps in those games anyway, meaning its either his CPU or he has some driver issues... All i suggested is that he should check the CPU issue first by OC or changing graphic settings.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 4:47:21 PM

Here is a benchmark for borderlands 2 with a very high end CPU (Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition) at low res then at a higher resolution.

http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-perfor...

even with this CPU the FPS is being capped at around 75, I would expect his to be in the 30's with his cpu. and in the next graph (1920x1200 res) you see the 6970 running at 63 fps while the 7970 is ~72. I still stand by my first statement that it is most likely his CPU bottlenecking him.

Here is a CPU graph for the game, His cpu isn't in the list but you can guess where it would be.

http://www.techspot.com/review/577-borderlands-2-perfor...

From this I would say a nice OC would give him 10-15 FPS if not more.
November 30, 2012 4:55:14 PM

I am in the process of doing a clean driver uninstall/install with 12.10. Then I will test the CPU bottleneck by lowering settings. I'll report back with results. ALso, anyone know what I should be scoring in 3dmark (basic)?
a c 79 U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 4:58:56 PM

sbmohr75 said:
ALso, anyone know what I should be scoring in 3dmark (basic)?
check the online result browser at futuremarks website...

a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 5:02:31 PM

sbmohr75 said:
I am in the process of doing a clean driver uninstall/install with 12.10. Then I will test the CPU bottleneck by lowering settings. I'll report back with results. ALso, anyone know what I should be scoring in 3dmark (basic)?

Check out the graph i posted above ( think i edited it in after you read it) from that your cpu is really holding you back and is performing as it should, a nice OC should give you a good amount of FPS improvement but you may need to buy a better CPU cooler if you don't already have one.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 5:02:52 PM

Derza10 said:
Huh? he never said they worked well before.. he said they are performing almost the same as before. The game you listed is more GPU intensive not CPU... I could link random benchmarks of unrelated information and prove anything with your logic.

A 6970 should be getting better than 30 fps in those games anyway, meaning its either his CPU or he has some driver issues... All i suggested is that he should check the CPU issue first by OC or changing graphic settings.

Read again
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 5:03:59 PM

Derza10 said:

Also the frame rates are high which means the CPU can keep up thus not causing a bottleneck as being suggested. Trust me, that review however does show startcraft hand it a blow but not making it perform less than it would with a lower card. This is really a silly point your making. There is no bottleneck for the graphics card. upgrade of card and less frames or even the exact same is not possible and frankly if anyone in here is suggesting that I would ask they maybe look into reading a bit more.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 5:08:27 PM

spentshells said:
Also the frame rates are high which means the CPU can keep up thus not causing a bottleneck as being suggested. Trust me, that review however does show startcraft hand it a blow but not making it perform less than it would with a lower card. This is really a silly point your making. There is no bottleneck for the graphics card. upgrade of card and less frames or even the exact same is not possible and frankly if anyone in here is suggesting that I would ask they maybe look into reading a bit more.

Lol, ok looks like you lost this one and made yourself look like a fool, check out the benchmarks.
You keep trying to show results from other games to prove a point about totally unrelated games, maybe you should look for relevant information and stop spewing out your meaningless information.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 5:10:03 PM

No it actually does not. It does not show getting lower/same frame rates after a video card upgrade perhaps you are reading the OP's question wrong or something.

What you have there shows better performance with a better CPU not a huge surprise.
Anyway lets fix this.

OP play a game leave task manager open exit the game quickly and check the CPU performance if you see it was at 100% then it's possible the last card topped out the system otherwise a clean driver install

buying new stuff is not the answer we are looking for here though I love the suggestion.

You have an odd couple there for sure OP but you should never ever get same/worse performance after a hardware upgrade otherwise you have a software issue
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 5:15:19 PM

spentshells said:
No it actually does not. It does not show getting lower/same frame rates after a video card upgrade perhaps you are reading the OP's question wrong or something.

His FPS are being limited by his CPU that is the reason he is not seeing higher performance by switching cards... What do you not understand about that? Someone else chime in and give us some more input please.
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 5:20:33 PM

Derza10 said:
His FPS are being limited by his CPU that is the reason he is not seeing higher performance by switching cards... What do you not understand about that? Someone else chime in and give us some more input please.
I agree with you i don't know for a fact that's the issue but i believe it is
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 5:28:42 PM

Derza10 said:

WORSE PERFORMANCE IS NOT POSSIBLE IT CAN NOT GET WORSE!! I swear your brain is failing you here you missed the point where it said worse if it is worse clearly a bottleneck can not make performance worse it would make it exactly the same HENCE BOTTLE NECK

This isn't a your right im right thing worse performance is simply not possible

//not possible
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 5:38:04 PM

It was only ac3 that he got worse performance.. That game is a poorly ported one. It could be a number of issues why that game is performing poorly.
November 30, 2012 5:40:24 PM

Ok, here is the situation. I tried running Sleeping dogs and Hitman Absolution on Ultra and low settings, while checking CPU usage. In Sleeping Dogs, CPU usage peaked at 72% and FPS increased ~50% by switching to low settings vs Ultra. Also, when I OC'd the card, I got a modest increase in FPS.

In Hitman Absolution CPU usage was around 15%. Again there was a big gain in FPS by turing the graphics settings down.

I really appreciate all the feedback, but I just don't understand how my CPU could have been a bottleneck. It is not the newest and fastest, but it is a quad core and should be plenty powerful for gaming. I am now running 3d mark basic and will report back the results.

So now the question is, should I RMA this card since others are reporting much better performance with the same card?
November 30, 2012 5:41:44 PM

I meant that CPU usage in Sleeping Dogs peaked at 72% for both Ultra and Low.
a c 185 U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 5:43:54 PM

If your that unhappy with the card then F*** it i would return it
November 30, 2012 5:44:23 PM

WOW, WTF!!??!?! So far I am only getting like 12 FPS in 3d mark!
November 30, 2012 5:46:59 PM

Ok, here are the 3d mark results, something seems amiss:

Processor
AMD Phenom II X4 Processor 945
Processor clock
1813 MHz
Physical / logical processors
1 / 4
# of cores

3DMark Score
P6539
Graphics Score
Physics Score
Combined Score
Graphics Test 1
38.22 FPS
Graphics Test 2
41.69 FPS
Graphics Test 3
52.17 FPS
Graphics Test 4
24.5 FPS
Physics Test
12.73 FPS
Combined Test
18.08 FPS

November 30, 2012 5:57:09 PM

Why is my processor clock 1813 Mhz when everyone else who has the same setup (on the online result browser) has > 3000 Mhz?
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 6:34:58 PM

sbmohr75 said:
Ok, here are the 3d mark results, something seems amiss:

Processor
AMD Phenom II X4 Processor 945
Processor clock
1813 MHz
Physical / logical processors
1 / 4
# of cores

3DMark Score
P6539
Graphics Score
Physics Score
Combined Score
Graphics Test 1
38.22 FPS
Graphics Test 2
41.69 FPS
Graphics Test 3
52.17 FPS
Graphics Test 4
24.5 FPS
Physics Test
12.73 FPS
Combined Test
18.08 FPS

You're getting what you should get. What's the problem?

Yours = 8353

Cumulative = 8610

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon...

Your "p" score is irrelevant and should be looking at the graphics score. Sure it's 257 points lower but a lot of the collected results are from overclocked machines.

1) Download Driver Fusion HERE.
2) Download Catalyst 12.11 beta 8 drivers HERE. but don't install.
3) Custom uninstall all AMD software through Control Panel, select everything and reboot.
4) Run Driver Fusion and clean AMD display drivers - reboot.
5) Re-install CCC and reboot.
6) Install the CAP profile and reboot.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2012 6:47:02 PM

**Edit**

Sorry I thought you had a 7950.

Yeah your scores are low... try the Beta 8 drivers I linked.
December 2, 2012 8:21:17 AM

For those who may still be interested, I upgraded to a ivy bridge CPU and Mobo. FPS increased by over 100%
December 2, 2012 8:22:53 AM

Derza10 said:
I also believe it is your cpu holding you back... try overclocking it and see if your FPS improves( or go down to lower graphic settings and see if your fps goes up or stays fairly close to the same).

You were right
December 2, 2012 8:23:14 AM

Best answer selected by sbmohr75.
!