System Build-Checking Configuration

bgoss4

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Hi everyone.

I've been meaning to build a (my first) fairly powerful rig for a while now, though being a Uni student this was financially beyond me. But I got some holiday work, and was given an older desktop from which I salvaged some parts and have decided to go ahead with the following build. Since this is my first attempt, I'm asking here to double check that everything I'm looking at won't blow up in my face when I put it all together. Here goes:

Case(Salvaged): Gigabyte GZ-X5BPD-400

PSU(Salvaged): GE-P450N-C2 550W (2x12V 18A Rails if I read it correctly)

HDD(Salvaged): Samsung, 500GB 7200RPM

MOBO: Asrock Z77-EXTREME4 Z77/4 x DDR3/2 x PCI-E3.0/4 x SATA3/6 x USB3.0/HDMI/D
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_review.phtml?id=10&bid=2&id2=177&sid=89527

GPU: Gigabyte OC 3GB 7970
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=248&bid=2&sid=87011

CPU: i5-3570k

RAM: G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600Mhz
http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_review.phtml?id=10&bid=2&id2=153&sid=59837

Optical Drive(Salvaged): 2xDVD Reader Writer

Any feedback would be great. I intend to put in an SSD in probably 6-12 Months time, but right now I am mostly interested in game performance.

Thanks!

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Are you over clocking?

If not then you dont need a k series CPU also could get an h77 mobo.

If you are then you will want a decent cooler like the hyper 212 evo.

Secondly i have to agree with EzioAs, don't rely on that PSU, get a new one and make sure its a good brand seasonic, xfx etc.

bgoss4

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Thanks for the feedback. I intend to overclock eventually, this build is intended to last for some years. But as I don't intend to do it now, I don't really want to invest in a better cooler just yet.

I hear you both w.r.t the power supply, and I will indeed look at a new one, though I may go ahead with the build and replace that if work yields more money. Am I looking at serious consequences if I decide to use it in the interim?

As for the case, the aesthetics don't bother me, and I have no qualms about running it with the side open if heat were to become an issue. However, if I can get a significantly better case for around $50(AU) I would be very interested.

Mostly though, thanks again.

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
If you intend to over clock down the road then yeah thats fine, pick up a cooler when you're ready to OC, just remember to get thermal paste too as this will need to be re applied.

Consequences of the power supply has a vast range, could be that you just dont get enough draw and your system wont start up or it could surge power through the whole system frying it.

bgoss4

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Ouch. Well in that case...
What initially put me off the Seasonic mentioned above was the steep price point at Umart, but It's $80 on Newegg so it looks like that will be most agreeable. Are there any alternatives in the PSU department that I should be looking at? Just something that will suit the build above, I don't intend to crossfire, am more likely to just upgrade to another single GPU when I begin to have poor performance on medium settings. Hopefully that won't be for some years though.