Sign in with
Your question

Java confusion

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2013 7:54:36 AM

I don't usually ask any help on this forum but I've seen some posts on programming where this community helped each other out. So here I go, hoping the same.

First some of my background: I am a first year student. I have a course called Object-Oriented-Programming. At start I've been to every class. After 10 minutes of class I really didn't understand a lot of it. When we made exercises in class I just took some of the syntax of previous exercises we did and hoping it would work fine (which it rarely did). If the teacher asked me a question, I just didn't know.

After 6 weeks, missing a couple of lessons because I didn't understand anything and the teacher refused to give additional information, we had a test. At my surprise I didn't fail that hard (still did however). Which gave me some motivation so I returned to class. And there I was, still confused what he was saying. I decided to study it on my own with the course notes he gave us at the start of the year. I asked him on which book or whatever his course notes were based on and he said it weren't his but from a colleague, so yeah, besides his course notes I had nothing.

Now, 2 weeks later we had a project we had to make. We had to draw stuff with Java and make it interactive. The drawing stuff went okay-ish. But the interactive part was just a disaster. Resulting in a 0/5 for that task (I should have made someone else do this task so I had good grades like everyone else did but yeah, I'm too honest).

Now, tomorrow I have the exam of Java. And I just don't understand it. I think about Java as a language. I understand the vocabulary, if I look at a code I can tell which does what and why. I am having problems with the grammar. I don't know why I have to import libraries or why I have to make different classes instead of writing it all in one class. These are just a couple of examples. So I guess tomorrow will be catastrophic.

Anyway, what I want to ask is: How did you learn to program in Java? Which book did you use? Did you look for youtube tutorials? Do you have course notes you could share? I am desperate for more information, I just don't know the right and good places to find it.

More about : java confusion

January 14, 2013 8:09:18 AM

I dont know what you expect people to say. You've already made it clear you skip class and didn't study on your own, didn't ask questions and didn't try or ask for help on the exercises. You apparently don't have the course text book and can't be bothered to go to the library to get a book on java. I wouldn't waste any time on you if you can't even show up to class either. Id help someone who actually cared about understanding. This is not acceptable behavior for college and YOU are responsible for YOUR success or failure.

And why on earth do you have spammer crap sites in your sig...
m
l
January 14, 2013 8:18:21 AM

unksol said:
I dont know what you expect people to say. You've already made it clear you skip class and didn't study on your own, didn't ask questions and didn't try or ask for help on the exercises. You apparently don't have the course text book and can't be bothered to go to the library to get a book on java. I wouldn't waste any time on you if you can't even show up to class either. Id help someone who actually cared about understanding. This is not acceptable behavior for college and YOU are responsible for YOUR success or failure.

And why on earth do you have spammer crap sites in your sig...

shut ur fuc#ng mouth looser..wts u have prblm with mine sig site...go to hell bludy looser...
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 14, 2013 8:27:18 AM

Here I was about to say that unksol was a bit unfair in what he was saying but after that reply i think he's probably right.

Are you sure you're in college cos with attitude like that it seems like you should be in kindergarten, very poor.

Pro tip, don't abuse the people in the community you're requesting help from :/ 
m
l
January 14, 2013 8:39:10 AM

mikerockett said:
Here I was about to say that unksol was a bit unfair in what he was saying but after that reply i think he's probably right.

Are you sure you're in college cos with attitude like that it seems like you should be in kindergarten, very poor.

Pro tip, don't abuse the people in the community you're requesting help from :/ 

sorry buddy............
m
l
January 14, 2013 8:47:19 AM

jamewatsn said:
sorry buddy............

That's certainly a better start. Unfortunately i'm not a programmer so i can't really help you out.

What i can say though is that this isn't in the right section of the forum. You are currently posting under the homebuilt section, this will be much better off in the software forum.

Try posting there or asking a moderator to move your post there.

And remember, be nice to the people you want help from, a little kindness goes a long way.
m
l
!