Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Drivers problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2012 6:45:45 AM

I have ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 (switchable graphics) and the drivers are causing major problems.
If enabled, it causes the computer to be unable to shut down (it freezes mid-shutdown and the processing circle stops spinning)
Upon enabling, it switches to the graphics card, the screen goes blank, and then the background appears.. and that's it.
No cursor, no icons, nothing.
Then when I attempt to shut down (pressing start, right arrow, enter) the screen goes blank and the fan continues to run, I've left it running for 30+ minutes and it does not shut down.

Everything works correctly without this

I have an ASUS B53J laptop

I'm unsure of how to completely remove the current drivers and where to find the ones that will work correctly with my computer.
No hardware has been changed from the stock version.

More about : drivers problem

Best solution

November 30, 2012 7:13:56 AM

Ok.... to clean the drivers is not particularry easy on laptops, but you can go to the asus website, search for their notebook models, find yours, go to support, downloads, and there chose the graphics driver to install.

When asked, select the option "Perform clean install" to wipe the previous drivers.
This is of course not 100% fail proof, but if this dosent work, i would strongly suggest you return the laptop to the store if at all possible since it sounds more to me like a hardware issue rather than driver.

November 30, 2012 8:14:25 AM

cats_Paw said:
Ok.... to clean the drivers is not particularry easy on laptops, but you can go to the asus website, search for their notebook models, find yours, go to support, downloads, and there chose the graphics driver to install.

When asked, select the option "Perform clean install" to wipe the previous drivers.
This is of course not 100% fail proof, but if this dosent work, i would strongly suggest you return the laptop to the store if at all possible since it sounds more to me like a hardware issue rather than driver.

I was sort of hoping it wasn't a hardware issues.. :/ 
I guess I'll take it in before I do anything else to it, appreciate the help!
m
l
December 9, 2012 11:04:16 PM

Best answer selected by vortexum.
m
l
!