Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Laserdisc & HDTV Questions

Tags:
  • Laser Disc Players
  • HDTV
Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 7:39:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

I've decided it is time to explore my HDTV options.
I think I've got an idea about digital formats, but I've
still got a stack of laserdiscs and a player that I still
want to use. I wish I had the means to buy all new DVD's,
but that isn't going to happen.

I've heard all sorts of descriptions (some good, many bad)
about PQ of laserdisc and other analog signals on HDTV
sets and I don't like the idea of getting a new TV and being
disappointed with the result. I don't mind an lateral move,
but I hope I'm not going to be looking at a downgrade.

What features should I be concentrating on to insure that
analog signals are at least similar to what I have now?

(see below for preliminary HDTV direction I am heading)

Or are the newer sets getting better at processing the analog
signals and I don't have anything to worry about?

If it helps, my current laserdisc viewing setup:

JVC 35" TV (about 9 years old)
Yamaha CDV-870 Laserdisc Player (Composite Video -
Digital Optical Audio)

Bonus question: Does anyone have any information about my
LD player? (Other than single-sided with a digital optical audio,
and the video and sound seem quite a bit better than my old
Pioneer CLD-S201). I've seen other Yamaha players that
appear to be rebadged Pioneer players, but this one appears
to at least be repackaged in a Yamaha chassis. Which
amongst all the Pioneer players does it compare to?

If you have any recommendations for HDTV's,
here's a few criteria I'm working with for a new set:

1. Price under $2000.
2. Currently, I am concentrating on 34" Widescreen Direct View CRT.
3. Built-in Tuner for OTA broadcast, but will consider separate HD tuner.
4. Sound not critical as I will use an AV receiver.
5. No current need for DVI or similar connection, but it can't hurt to leave
options open.

If you made it this far, thanks for your time.

Nels

More about : laserdisc hdtv questions

Anonymous
October 28, 2004 8:38:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

"Nels Solem" <n.solem@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:41806B53.8606F42E@worldnet.att.net...
> I've heard all sorts of descriptions (some good, many bad)
> about PQ of laserdisc and other analog signals on HDTV
> sets and I don't like the idea of getting a new TV and being
> disappointed with the result. I don't mind an lateral move,
> but I hope I'm not going to be looking at a downgrade.

I wrote an article on this subject just recently:

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/digitalage.html
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 10:57:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Joshua Zyber wrote:
>
> "Nels Solem" <n.solem@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:41806B53.8606F42E@worldnet.att.net...
> > I've heard all sorts of descriptions (some good, many bad)
> > about PQ of laserdisc and other analog signals on HDTV
> > sets and I don't like the idea of getting a new TV and being
> > disappointed with the result. I don't mind an lateral move,
> > but I hope I'm not going to be looking at a downgrade.
>
> I wrote an article on this subject just recently:
>
> http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/digitalage.html

I had actually come accross your article earlier. Very informative, but
unfortunately, you begin post-HDTV purchase. I haven't yet decided
on which type of display to get and was hoping to find out if there were
any pros/cons to the various technologies with regard to analog sources.
I have been scouring the AVSFORUM website, but was hoping to get
some more specific laserdisc related advice here.

My initial impressions are that for analog sources a CRT display might
yield better results as opposed to one of the fixed pixel type displays.
Also the fact that I am not looking for a big screen or projector unit would
help in the PQ area.

I think I have a pretty good handle on the advantages and problems of the
HDTV types. I just want to get a better handle on analog capabilities.
Related resources
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 2:55:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

If you are looking for rear projection, the Pioneer Elites are the best I've
seen at displaying NTSC signals. For direct view CRT's I'm using a Philips
"Matchline" 34PW9818. I've also seen others that do well, I got a good
purchase on the Philips. You need to purchase the high end units for the
brands as the lower ones can really display a smeared NTSC picture. I'd
look at the Sony XBR, Philips Matchline, and I wish I could play with the
Panasonic TAU more. You really need to go into a store and request to see a
true NTSC signal on the unit, NOT DVD but a over the air signal or cable
analog NTSC. You'll see the difference.

Kurtis


"Nels Solem" <n.solem@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:4183E557.8D7840F5@worldnet.att.net...
> Joshua Zyber wrote:
>>
>> "Nels Solem" <n.solem@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> news:41806B53.8606F42E@worldnet.att.net...
>> > I've heard all sorts of descriptions (some good, many bad)
>> > about PQ of laserdisc and other analog signals on HDTV
>> > sets and I don't like the idea of getting a new TV and being
>> > disappointed with the result. I don't mind an lateral move,
>> > but I hope I'm not going to be looking at a downgrade.
>>
>> I wrote an article on this subject just recently:
>>
>> http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/digitalage.html
>
> I had actually come accross your article earlier. Very informative, but
> unfortunately, you begin post-HDTV purchase. I haven't yet decided
> on which type of display to get and was hoping to find out if there were
> any pros/cons to the various technologies with regard to analog sources.
> I have been scouring the AVSFORUM website, but was hoping to get
> some more specific laserdisc related advice here.
>
> My initial impressions are that for analog sources a CRT display might
> yield better results as opposed to one of the fixed pixel type displays.
> Also the fact that I am not looking for a big screen or projector unit
> would
> help in the PQ area.
>
> I think I have a pretty good handle on the advantages and problems of the
> HDTV types. I just want to get a better handle on analog capabilities.
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 8:15:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

>If you are looking for rear projection, the Pioneer Elites are the best I've
>seen at displaying NTSC signals.

I'd generally agree. The Pioneer Elite sets are certainly among the best. I
also like the Mitsubishi Platinum sets, the 9" CRTs certainly seem to help. I'd
say that those two would tie for best in my book, with Toshiba's Cinema Series
sets and the Sony Projections coming in for second place. Although Sony seems
to be abandoning CRT-lens RPTVs in favor of LCD and Plasma units.

>For direct view CRT's I'm using a Philips
>"Matchline" 34PW9818. I've also seen others that do well

Sony's KB-34XBR960 is the best tube I've seen, although Panasonic and Toshiba
both build a very good looking set, and are worth considering. The 34 inch 16:9
JVC set has a generally VERY good picture and I'd put it next to the Sony
except that I hear it has some strange quirks.

>You really need to go into a store and request to see a
>true NTSC signal on the unit, NOT DVD but a over the air signal or cable
>analog NTSC. You'll see the difference.

The problem with in-store broadcasts is that they split the source multiple
times to feed all the TVs and the in-store picture quality is generally much
worse than what you'd see at home.
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 6:50:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Hello Josh,

I finally could get my HT1100 fixed by NEC Japan and could try to feed
it with:

RGB PC
RGB from DVD
RGB from MUSE Decoder (HiVision)
S-Video from HLD-X9

I haven't tried DVD via DVI with 1080i upsampling yet (too short
cable...) but I'm pretty happy with the quality I could get from the
LDs without taking time (yet) to tweak/adjust settings for each
separate source.

I watched Face/Off yesterday and, although not perfect compared to
other RGB sources, my 2m-wide picture was quite pleasant! The NEC
internal scaler might save me the cost and troubles to find a Faroudja
box somewhere.

Rgds,
Julien
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 6:51:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Hello Josh,

I finally could get my HT1100 fixed by NEC Japan and could try to feed
it with:

RGB PC
RGB from DVD
RGB from MUSE Decoder (HiVision)
S-Video from HLD-X9

I haven't tried DVD via DVI with 1080i upsampling yet (too short
cable...) but I'm pretty happy with the quality I could get from the
LDs without taking time (yet) to tweak/adjust settings for each
separate source.

I watched Face/Off yesterday and, although not perfect compared to
other RGB sources, my 2m-wide picture was quite pleasant! The NEC
internal scaler might save me the cost and troubles to find a Faroudja
box somewhere.

Rgds,
Julien
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 6:52:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Hello Josh,

I finally could get my HT1100 fixed by NEC Japan and could try to feed
it with:

RGB PC
RGB from DVD
RGB from MUSE Decoder (HiVision)
S-Video from HLD-X9

I haven't tried DVD via DVI with 1080i upsampling yet (too short
cable...) but I'm pretty happy with the quality I could get from the
LDs without taking time (yet) to tweak/adjust settings for each
separate source.

I watched Face/Off yesterday and, although not perfect compared to
other RGB sources, my 2m-wide picture was quite pleasant! The NEC
internal scaler might save me the cost and troubles to find a Faroudja
box somewhere.

Rgds,
Julien
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 5:43:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Nels Solem <n.solem@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<41806B53.8606F42E@worldnet.att.net>...
>
> I've heard all sorts of descriptions (some good, many bad)
> about PQ of laserdisc and other analog signals on HDTV
> sets and I don't like the idea of getting a new TV and being
> disappointed with the result. I don't mind an lateral move,
> but I hope I'm not going to be looking at a downgrade.
>

Wouldn't an analog HDTV be the perfect choice to watch LDs as well as
HD programs ? That's what i use (an old 16:9 Sony PHM-3600), but i
guess analog HD tubes were never on sale outside Japan ?

Nicolas
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 7:39:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Sorry about the 3 times post: Google Groups Beta 2 is... beta indeed.
Rgds,
Julien
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 10:13:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Nicolas Santini wrote:

> Nels Solem <n.solem@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<41806B53.8606F42E@worldnet.att.net>...
>
>>I've heard all sorts of descriptions (some good, many bad)
>>about PQ of laserdisc and other analog signals on HDTV
>>sets and I don't like the idea of getting a new TV and being
>>disappointed with the result. I don't mind an lateral move,
>>but I hope I'm not going to be looking at a downgrade.
>>
>
>
> Wouldn't an analog HDTV be the perfect choice to watch LDs as well as
> HD programs ? That's what i use (an old 16:9 Sony PHM-3600), but i
> guess analog HD tubes were never on sale outside Japan ?
>

Any CRT based HDTV is analog. Many fixed pixel HDTVs are using an analog
signal to control luminance to make up for their inherent problems.

Matthew

--
Thermodynamics and/or Golf for dummies: There is a game
You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 1:14:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

Nicolas was referring to a TOTAL analog TV, what you are describing is CRT's
driven by digital HD circuitry.

Using MUSE LD's and an older front projection monitor that can drive HD scan
rates you can achieve pure analog HD. This is a totally analog system as
Nicolas is referring to. I personally never saw an analog RPTV that could
do more than 480p in the US. Never saw a direct view TV that could do 480p,
maybe one of the exotic imports could do that.

Kurtis

"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
news:10odk9c5nuhf2ba@corp.supernews.com...
> Nicolas Santini wrote:
>
>> Nels Solem <n.solem@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> news:<41806B53.8606F42E@worldnet.att.net>...
>>
>>>I've heard all sorts of descriptions (some good, many bad)
>>>about PQ of laserdisc and other analog signals on HDTV
>>>sets and I don't like the idea of getting a new TV and being
>>>disappointed with the result. I don't mind an lateral move,
>>>but I hope I'm not going to be looking at a downgrade.
>>>
>>
>>
>> Wouldn't an analog HDTV be the perfect choice to watch LDs as well as
>> HD programs ? That's what i use (an old 16:9 Sony PHM-3600), but i
>> guess analog HD tubes were never on sale outside Japan ?
>>
>
> Any CRT based HDTV is analog. Many fixed pixel HDTVs are using an analog
> signal to control luminance to make up for their inherent problems.
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> Thermodynamics and/or Golf for dummies: There is a game
> You can't win
> You can't break even
> You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 1:17:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

I don't understand why LDs would look better on an analog set than a
digital set. It seems to me that digital processing would preserve
more information from the signal than analog processing. I've always
assumed the reason why LDs look unimpressive on HDTVs is due to the
lack of progressive-scan capability.
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 4:49:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.laserdisc (More info?)

I think it is a matter of money/profit. The companies are pushing to go
digital or interface DVD with component. What should they spend a large
amount of research money to perfect the filters to get NTSC signals filter
to component or RGB signals internally. Some companies just spend a little
more on it than others to help us get a good NTSC signal. Just remember,
the more filtering you have to do in a TV high has the possibility of high
noise levels due to the CRT drive circuitry. But this still doesn't fully
explain why Plasma panels are poor with displaying NTSC.

The push is just digital and analog is added as a convenience

Kurtis

"Chris W." <memnon2@ziplip.com> wrote in message
news:9fecf0b.0411021017.51a77f96@posting.google.com...
>I don't understand why LDs would look better on an analog set than a
> digital set. It seems to me that digital processing would preserve
> more information from the signal than analog processing. I've always
> assumed the reason why LDs look unimpressive on HDTVs is due to the
> lack of progressive-scan capability.
Anonymous
November 29, 2009 1:41:05 AM

Make sure you are connecting your LD player to your HDTV using the Composite connection NOT S-video or SCART.

Laserdiscs contain composite video, on an HDTV the composite video input from your LD player will provide the best possible LD quality, especially if your TV has a good comb filter.
!