Kernel driver compatibility between windows 2000/2003/XP

Hi,

I have made USB keyboard kernel driver. I am able to compile the driver code
with Windows 2000 DDK , Windows XP DDK & Windows 2003 DDK.
And this driver runs properly on Windows 2000, Windows XP & Windows 2003.

My question is:
A) When this driver is shipped to the customers, do I have to rebuild the
driver for each OS?
B) Is Windows 2000 WDM functionality subset of Windows XP/2003 WDM
functionality?
C) Can I assume that if the driver is compiled on Windows 2000 and runs
properly on that OS, then it will run on Windows XP & Windows 2003 also?

Thanks
Ashish Sharma

a) Not rebuild, but your install program should detect the correct OS being
installed on and install the correct driver for that OS. In other words,
your installation package should contain a compiled driver for each, Win2k,
WinXP and Win2k3, although personally, I wouldn't worry about Win2k as it is
at its end of life cycle. Also, on WinXP/2k3, you need to consider both
the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, as 32-bit versions of OS's are on the way
out, where 64-bit versions are on the way in. More and more systems are
shipped with a 64-bit version of WinXP/2k3, than 32-bit, and rumor has it
the former Longhorn, now Vista will ship 64-bit only in 2006.
b) No, as I said, I wouldn't worry with the old Win2k functionality.
c) No, especially if its the 64-bit version, as there is no 64-bit version
of Win2k. I suggest you compile the driver for all 4 versions, WinXP/Win2k3
32-bit and 64-bit to be included in your installation package, and have your
install program detect the correct OS and install the appropriate driver,
but you'll need a 64-bit machine with a 64-bit OS to do the 64-bit versions.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"