Canon 20D grip fix offered

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 25, 2005 10:29:41 AM

For those who've had 20D grip problems, Canon appear to have finally
acknowledged responsibility:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05071801canon_battery...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 10:37:38 AM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:D c2euh$csa$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> For those who've had 20D grip problems, Canon appear to have finally
> acknowledged responsibility:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05071801canon_battery...
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

Canon UK and Europe are still head in the sand saying there is no problem
and they do not know about the US problem.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 1:21:41 PM

Capture Boy wrote:
> Canon UK and Europe are still head in the sand saying there is no
> problem and they do not know about the US problem.

I would suggest that they can't ignore what their US counterparts are
doing in the age of the internet. And the European mags such as C d'I
will likely take them to task over it if they don't wake up.

Finally, if this is an issue for you, you should be writing Canon Europe
nastigrams on the issue and shame them into action. CC to the magazines.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
July 26, 2005 6:49:13 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> For those who've had 20D grip problems, Canon appear to have finally
> acknowledged responsibility:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05071801canon_battery...
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

Thanks Alan.

As a result of your posting information, I contacted Canon USA and was
provided with interesting information about advantages in becoming a CPS
(Canon Professional Service) member. One need not actually be a
professional photographer. To become a CPS member, one must have at
least two pro type Canon cameras and at least two Canon "L" type lenses.
Applications may be obtained by e-mailing < cpsmember@cusa.canon.com >.
In making the request for application, provide name, address, and phone
number. Some benefits obtained by becoming a CPS member are:

Canon USA will loan equipment while equipment is being repaired.
Upon request, Canon will mail replacement equipment to be used
and in return, the requester will have to mail back the equipment
needing repair. Upon completion of the repair, Canon will mail back to
the sender the repaired unit and the loaned equipment must be mailed
back to Canon. Specifically, for those having a faulty BG-E2 battery
grip and battery magazine, Canon will mail a new grip and battery
magazine with the expectation of the faulty grip and magazine being sent
back to Canon.

Canon USA will provide financial assistance in procuring equipment.
Need credit in buying Canon equipment? Canon will provide what
you need to get what you want.

CPS members are kept informed of new advancements in equipment made by
Canon which may be readily available to CPS members.

Note: These services are only available through Canon USA to CPS members
who are residents in the USA.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:48:05 AM

"nick c" <n-chen@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Alan Browne wrote:
>> For those who've had 20D grip problems, Canon appear to have finally
>> acknowledged responsibility:
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05071801canon_battery...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alan
>>

> Thanks Alan.
>
> As a result of your posting information, I contacted Canon USA and was
> provided with interesting information about advantages in becoming a CPS
> (Canon Professional Service) member. One need not actually be a
> professional photographer. To become a CPS member, one must have at least
> two pro type Canon cameras and at least two Canon "L" type lenses.
> Applications may be obtained by e-mailing < cpsmember@cusa.canon.com >. In
> making the request for application, provide name, address, and phone
> number. Some benefits obtained by becoming a CPS member are:
>
> Canon USA will loan equipment while equipment is being repaired.
> Upon request, Canon will mail replacement equipment to be used and
> in return, the requester will have to mail back the equipment needing
> repair. Upon completion of the repair, Canon will mail back to the sender
> the repaired unit and the loaned equipment must be mailed back to Canon.
> Specifically, for those having a faulty BG-E2 battery grip and battery
> magazine, Canon will mail a new grip and battery magazine with the
> expectation of the faulty grip and magazine being sent back to Canon.
>
> Canon USA will provide financial assistance in procuring equipment.
> Need credit in buying Canon equipment? Canon will provide what you
> need to get what you want.
>
> CPS members are kept informed of new advancements in equipment made by
> Canon which may be readily available to CPS members.
>
> Note: These services are only available through Canon USA to CPS members
> who are residents in the USA.

I had always wondered and never found out: any charge for this? I've got a
1D already... maybe I can find an old 1v lying around somewhere. :-)
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:48:06 AM

Dave R knows who wrote:
> "nick c" <n-chen@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Alan Browne wrote:
>>
>>>For those who've had 20D grip problems, Canon appear to have finally
>>>acknowledged responsibility:
>>>
>>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05071801canon_battery...
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>Alan
>>>

>>Thanks Alan.
>>
>>As a result of your posting information, I contacted Canon USA and was
>>provided with interesting information about advantages in becoming a CPS
>>(Canon Professional Service) member. One need not actually be a
>>professional photographer. To become a CPS member, one must have at least
>>two pro type Canon cameras and at least two Canon "L" type lenses.
>>Applications may be obtained by e-mailing < cpsmember@cusa.canon.com >. In
>>making the request for application, provide name, address, and phone
>>number. Some benefits obtained by becoming a CPS member are:
>>
>>Canon USA will loan equipment while equipment is being repaired.
>> Upon request, Canon will mail replacement equipment to be used and
>>in return, the requester will have to mail back the equipment needing
>>repair. Upon completion of the repair, Canon will mail back to the sender
>>the repaired unit and the loaned equipment must be mailed back to Canon.
>>Specifically, for those having a faulty BG-E2 battery grip and battery
>>magazine, Canon will mail a new grip and battery magazine with the
>>expectation of the faulty grip and magazine being sent back to Canon.
>>
>>Canon USA will provide financial assistance in procuring equipment.
>> Need credit in buying Canon equipment? Canon will provide what you
>>need to get what you want.
>>
>>CPS members are kept informed of new advancements in equipment made by
>>Canon which may be readily available to CPS members.
>>
>>Note: These services are only available through Canon USA to CPS members
>>who are residents in the USA.
>

> I had always wondered and never found out: any charge for this? I've got a
> 1D already... maybe I can find an old 1v lying around somewhere. :-)

Hi Dave,

Nothing about a membership fee was mentioned. However, as I was being
advised as to the best procedure for having my BG-E2 looked at and
repaired, if necessary, during the conversation I had the impression
there was no fee connected with the CPS service. There's a roster of CPS
members that Canon keeps on file and keeps updated on new Canon equipment.

When I was told CPS was a service provided to pros who use Canon
equipment, I mentioned I was not a pro but considered myself as one who,
when the mood strikes me, is serious about photography as a hobby.
"Doesn't matter. You have the required equipment therefore you qualify,"
the man said. Then I e-mailed for an application and thought about
informing this group of what may be available from Canon USA subject to
qualification.

If Canon's system works like other systems I've encountered, I think
when a request is made for loan equipment prior to sending the equipment
needing repair back to Canon, the requester would need to provide a
credit card number for Canon to bill to should the requester default in
not sending Canon's equipment back to Canon. It would seem that way to
me since a credit card number would have to be provided anyway to get
repairs accomplished.
August 3, 2005 7:56:49 PM

Now its time to junk the 20D and fix all its other problems.

!