Extremely lag despite decent card?

babtothebone

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
I am having a lot of trouble with my graphics card lately. It's an HD Radeon 7850, so it's a decent card, yet I am experiencing extreme lag at times, even in some older games -- The Witcher, for example. I played The Witcher months ago at max settings and I don't remember any real lag issues, except for maybe in the most intensive situations. However, I tried to play it today, and even at the lowest settings, and a lower resolution, I was experiencing quite a bit of lag and jumpiness. My GPU under load is only at 59c, and my CPU at 50c, so I shouldn't be experiencing throttling. Could it possibly be a bad PSU? I have a Diablotek (not the most trusted brand, I know) 600W.

I know when I posted a while back when I was planning on upgrading my PC, several people noted I shouldn't really have any graphics card throttling issues for a couple of years with that card... Well, I'm experiencing throttling issues from games that are already years old -- on the lowest settings.

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor 3.30 GHz
8G of RAM
64-bit Windows 7
AMD Radeon 7850
Diablotek 600W PSU

Also, I am planning on purchasing and crossfiring a second 7850. What kind of wattage should I have for a second card? Also, what's a good PSU brand? I'm thinking possibly Corsair. And, lastly, I'm thinking a second GPU would possibly mandate an extra cooling fan. What's a good, mountable GPU fan? Thanks!

Solution
12.10 should be fine. The beta has some issues in some games. The 80% usage is bugging me though. Just out of curiousity download driver sweeper and uninstall the current driver then install 12.8 and see what that does. If no change repeat and go to 12.11beta.

mx90

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
"And, lastly, I'm thinking a second GPU would possibly mandate an extra cooling fan. What's a good, mountable GPU fan? Thanks!"

Yea, aftermarket GPU fan will be a good move. My friend bought this few months ago, and it reduced the GPU temp by 9'C.

http://techreport.com/review/8227/zalman-vf700-gpu-coolers

Folks here can tell if there are more better aftermarket cooling fans. Your cabinet should have good airflow. And yes, Corsair is popular among PSU, along with CoolerMaster.

That cpu is not crappy don't listen to him. It should play the witcher fine. I played that on an old core 2 duo laptop decently. I don't like your psu for 1 card and definitely wouldn't use it for 2. The xfx prototype listed would work well if it has 4-6pin connectors. Since we know your cpu usage, what is the gpu usage? Download gpuz and click log to file and leave it running while you game. If it isn't 99% then there is a problem. What drivers are you using?

babtothebone

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

I was gonna say, what's wrong with my CPU? D: lol

According to EVGA Precision X, just walking around outside of town on max settings, I'm sitting somewhere around 80% GPU usage and would run at 20~ FPS. Does it seem right that simply moving around should take up that much of my GPU? I mean, it's a new-ish card for an older game.. should it really have that much trouble? The temp was around 45c~ after running around for 1 minute~ and kinda hovering there.

I went to the swamp (one of the more intensive areas), and it immediately jumped up to 90% usage and about 10 FPS (this is without anything going on, again, besides just running around), and 50c~ or so.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what drivers." If you're referring to the version of my drivers (?) it's 9.2.0.0 from 9/27/12, which, according to device manager, is up to date.

Again, it just seems ridiculous that a $200+ card today can't run a game that came out in '07. :/ Something seems wrong. Is it possible I'm being throttled by too little power being supplied to my PSU? Or maybe there's some kind of other problem I could troubleshoot? Thanks!

Well do you have vsync on? Open CCC and go to software on the bottom and tell me what it says. It will be something like 12.8, 12.10, etc. I would replace that psu regardless if it is your problem or not.

Prototype: I thought you were one of those AMD haters. Glad to see that was a mistake. I agree with the PSU being crappy.

babtothebone

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

I went into my control center, and under software it says my catalyst version is 12.10. And, no, I always turn VSync off in all games; it causes nothing but trouble.

12.10 should be fine. The beta has some issues in some games. The 80% usage is bugging me though. Just out of curiousity download driver sweeper and uninstall the current driver then install 12.8 and see what that does. If no change repeat and go to 12.11beta.

Solution

babtothebone

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

Download the beta driver? Is it not better to stick with 12.10, the one that isn't in beta, and is verifiably stable?

babtothebone

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

I downloaded and installed driver sweeper. What should I do with it before I uninstall and then install 12.8? I'm running a sweep on my AMD drivers ATM. Should I "Clean" them after it's done? Anything? :??:

I don't really know when this issue happened. Like I said, I played The Witcher months ago with little to no problems, then today I tried to play again and it's awful lag. I also noticed that I had trouble playing DayZ the first time I downloaded it. It would run at 45+ FPS sometimes, while other times it would drop to 15~ or even less...

babtothebone

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

I just used the "clean" option from Driver Sweeper, then reinstalled a fresh version of the 12.11 beta driver. Gonna test out The Witcher again, as well as some other games, then I will post updates on here.

babtothebone

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
It appears as though the "fresh" install may have fixed my problem with lag. I don't want to jinx it, but after playing around with The Witcher for a few minutes, my GPU usage was about half, and I was getting over double the frames as well. Walking around outside of town I'm sitting around 65~ frames at 40%~ GPU usage. :wahoo:

check your firewall and see what's allowed.

make sure you don't have remote assistance enabled.

do a virus scan.

do it in safe mode.

go into the system configuration utility and see what's running under start up and under services. ( you can filter Microsoft services--- check box at bottom----- will make things easier to see )..... un-check stuff that shouldn't be running.

virus scan-malware scans.............

prototype18

Distinguished

He fixed it LOL

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
@proto Actually, I've got a CoolerMaster GX 450W Bronze 80% PSU, and it's superb. Sure, it only has one pci-e cable, but that can be fixed with a cheap adapter. Runs cool 'n' quiet. Also has a nice failsafe too.

@OP Try defragmenting. Could be a slow hard drive, could be a bad stick or two of RAM, mayhaps there is dust in the case, mayhaps there are old drivers still installed, dieing SATA cable, etc.

prototype18

Distinguished
@majinCry

What ?

That its still a bad psu.Bad 12V regulation.If it peaks 450W it turns off . Also its only the Gx 450. Above it are just garbage.

And as i said only silent M is decent

And he fixed the problem . Why you keep posting -.-'