Graphics Card Recomendation

MrSmoofy

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Originally in the New Build forum I was recommended

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150598
XFX CORE Edition FX-777A-ZNF4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I have concerns if it's really what I should get so I'm looking for other recommendations.

I don't need anything super high end as mostly I will be just using the computer for software development but that will include using programs like Photo Shop/Paint Shop Pro.

Additionally I will place some games but mostly things like Age of Empires online and Sim City (new version coming out) and other Real Time Strategy games.

Another requirement is the card needs to drive a minimum of 3 monitors. The above recommendation looks like it does have dual link but only on 1 of the dvi ports so I'm guessing it's limit is 3 monitors.

I'm thinking I'd be better off with a card that does dual link on 2 dvi plugs in case I want to add a 4th monitor. Also I wonder if 1gb of ram is enough for what I need or should I look at 2gb but seems when the get to 2gb the price really goes up.

A second video card is always a possibility in the future if some PC game comes out that I must have that plays better then on my Xbox.

Thanks for the help/input.

MrSmoofy

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Looking at some 7850's on newegg it looks like all are 2 x DVI (1 Single Link, 1 Dual Link)

Am I understanding correctly that means 3 monitors total? For now I have 2 Dell 19" Ultrasharp's I will be using but the plan is to add a third as the main monitor something little bigger and wide screen.

I also read that above 1960 x 1080 (might have the numbers wrong) that monitors with high res need a dual link which in that case the card would be limited to 2 monitors.

Newegg has http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103211
DIAMOND 7850PE52GV2 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
For $184 but has a $20 mail in rebate making it $164 any opinions on that?

misclik

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
you probably want something with 2G of ram on it, also you can get adapters for the hdmi outputs and all those on monoprice. a 7850 looks pretty good. that diamond looks like it should do the job.
also, 1080x1920 is fine with single link DVI. you need dual link for 1440p or 1600p, not 1080p.

IF you want to save some money, you could get a 2GB 7770. but i'd really recommend the 7850 if you wanna do any games at 1080. the 7770 will do games, but the 7850 will have your back for a lot longer.

MrSmoofy

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Your recommendation is more then double what I wanted to spend and that card does not support dual link at all.

MrSmoofy

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Thanks for your input.

Am I right to say that card can only do (like most) 3 monitors off the 2 DVI ports?

If I have say 3 monitors attached to the dvi ports cane the other ports be used as well. I can't see me ever having more then 4 total but I definitely will have 3 but only 2 to start.

And like I said I will be starting with the 2 old Dell 19" Ultra-sharps and then I will add a higher end third which the ultra sharps could stay on the dvi while the 3rd can go on a hdmi port if that's possible.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

I believe you need to use one of the 7850's display ports for the 3rd, 4th and so on monitors. Can anyone second me on this? Yeah and a 7850 2GB would be the minimum for great multi-monitor support.

P.S. That 670 that guy recommended is one of the dumbest suggestions I have ever seen. $100 more than usual and an overclocked $300 7950 can beat it easily...

MrSmoofy

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
My understanding is that a dual link dvi port allows you to run 2 monitors off 1 port with a special dual link split-er cable.

And based on reading the specs of most cards that have 2 DVI connections 1 is single link (1 monitor) and 1 is dual link (2 monitors) but I also read that for higher res monitors they may require dual link dvi connection and can't be split.

Just want to make sure I get what I need for 3 monitors maybe 4th in a year or 2. The last time I build a pc was 10 years ago and it has worked fine so now that I'm doing a new one I'd like it to last a while.

From the Anandtech review of the 7850:

Quote:
Meanwhile for display connectivity AMD is using the same configuration as we’ve seen on the 7900 series: 1 DL-DVI port, 1 HDMI port, and 2 miniDP ports. Interestingly, unlike the 7900 series and 7700 series there is a set of pads for a second DVI port on the card, and while AMD doesn’t make use of them at least one XFX card will. The 7800 series as the same display configuration options as the 7900 series though, so while it can drive up to 6 monitors it can only drive 2 TMDS (HDMI and DVI) type displays at once, and if you want to drive a full 6 monitors you’ll need a MST hub (DisplayPort Splitter).

MrSmoofy

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Why am I getting so confused.

I just need a recommendation for:
Under $200
min 3 Monitors (2 will be dvi for sure) like to have 4
Sounds like min 2GB ram

Other then that doesn't seem to matter as long as I understand how I will be able to connect 3-4 monitors to 1 card as in what extra cables/adapters I will need.

Surely I'm not the only one that desires this setup.

dingo07

Distinguished

You have no idea what you're talking about... that card supports 4 monitors - 2 Dual-link DVI connectors, HDMI and Displayport 1.2

learn a lil and you'll get somewhere!!!

MrSmoofy

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Don't be an ASS :fou: The specs for that card on newegg.com say nothing about dual link like the other cards do.

dingo07

Distinguished

Then maybe you should learn a BIT more and goto the Manufacturers webpage for the specs... because there's more than 5 flavors of that card - noob!

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-3673-KR

there's the link

---

Oh

and you'll want to click the FEATURES tab and then click "Supports four concurrent displays"

AND

BTW it DOES say that on Newegg's page in the Features section

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Look its crazy overpriced! No! A $300 7950 would trade blows with it and even that is out of its price range! Get a clue!

misclik

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
ok, if you have 2 1080p monitors, you can run those off of the DL-DVI port, other than that, if i am reading bigcyco1's post right, you may have to use an adapter for a third / fourth. This is only difficult for 2 reasons.
1: not many people deal with 3 monitors
2: of the forums I frequent, toms hardware is the least tech savvy. you can also try asking over at overclock.net or better yet, [h]ardforum.
I do stand by my prior post about that 7850 though, you'll most likely be happy with that. the 7850 is a popular card for a reason. you might just have to get splitters / adapters off of monoprice like I said before... they should be about $10 shipped.

misclik

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

I'm not sure what your problem is trying to get this guy hooked on a 670. He posted his price. That is far above it. You sound like either a kid or someone who has a lot of money to throw at a computer and doesn't understand a budget. Thought your first post was a joke and had a good laugh, but you apparently were not joking. you are contributing nothing to the topic.

MrSmoofy

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Thanks.

Now that I'm not confused after reading what DualLink really is and what I need to look at is Eyefinity it seems now I just need to understand how 3-4 monitors get connected (what's required as far as cables and adapters) and what ports are used on the card.

My ideal solution would be a card with two DVI ports that allow for the DVI spliters that allow for 4 monitors to be connected. Reading on newegg and on manufactures sites they just don't come out and say it from what I found so now I've emailed FXF asking the same questions directly to them that I've asked here.

dingo07

Distinguished
both you guys are lost - I guess you really have no clue when it comes to 3+ monitors - becasue your 7950 with 3GB memory will fall far short of the 670 with 4GB

but whatever - i guess you're both biased towards ATI cards

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Does your motherboard have room for 2 graphics cards? If so dual 7750's might work and if crossfired would about equal a 7850 in gaming performance. Though really you should just get a 7850 2gb. If it is slightly over budget just save up a lil more ;)