Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advice on my PC build.

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2013 1:34:41 PM

Hello guys :hello: 
I have used Tom's hardware quite a bit in the past but for some reason did not make an account until this situation arose.
Anyway, I am yet another person looking to switch over to PC gaming from consoles and also upgrading my current computer which is a Pentium (Don't laugh).
So, I have done a lot of research and come up with this list of parts. My overall budget is 700$ but a might push some more for a part if it is worth it. I am pretty sure these are compatible and won't bottleneck each other but if they will please tell me. Also, I would appreciate your opinion on how much I will be able to upgrade this rig in the future e.g expanding RAM. It would be a shame if it only lasted me a year or two and I could not improve upon it for more recent games Thanks! :D 

CPU----Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard----Intel DH67CLB3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
RAM----Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage----Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Graphics Card----XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Sound----Creative Labs Audigy SE 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Case----MSI TC- (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU----Antec Basiq 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive----Samsung SH-224BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer
Peripherals----My friend gave me his old mouse and keyboard etc so I'm good in that respect.

More about : advice build

January 14, 2013 1:37:33 PM

whats ur computer usage, and whats ur country of origin?

and ur maximum budget in ur currency.

m
l
January 14, 2013 1:40:09 PM

i think thats a good build already. should be a very capable gaming system at 1080p.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 14, 2013 1:45:01 PM

hello there, as far as upgrading in future goes it all depends on you meaning it will be your choice when you want to upgrade to the new cpu/mobo/ram since your current mobo is old socket and it doesn't support the newest cpus (in theory) I personally tend to upgrade my processor with new chipset every 4 years or so...with graphics ill upgrade them before that but after 4 years the cpu will become a bottleneck to whatever good graphics they will have out by then

as far as your build I would change out the hard drive. the one you have picked is green edition meaning it will run a little cooler and draw less power...i dont think you would care so pick up western digital black series for little more performance

Use the integrated audio first before buying a dedicated one...nowadays the integrated audio cards are very good so unless you are in a recording studio and you really care about audio quality you wont hear the difference

Upgrade the power supply to 500-550watts
January 14, 2013 1:57:04 PM

- As someone already mentioned take out the sound card, motherboard already has a decent one, you won't know the difference.
- Don't get green edition drives, they are slower than regular drives.
- Buy a better motherboard, preferably chipset Z77 based.

Good luck.
m
l
January 14, 2013 1:59:42 PM

Thanks for helping me save a few bucks on the sound card and the advice on the Hard drive. As for upgrading, I want to make this build last, only switching out a Graphics Card or expanding RAM. I am also taking into consideration what you said about the mother board and am looking into a newer one. Other than that, thank you for the input! :) 
m
l
January 14, 2013 2:03:02 PM

iceclock said:
whats ur computer usage, and whats ur country of origin?

and ur maximum budget in ur currency.

I live in Pakistan and my max budget would be 750$ at the absolute most which is 75000 Rs, give or take a few hundred.
m
l
January 14, 2013 2:10:03 PM

+1 to last 2. Spec HDD 7200 rpm, no sound board.

Pls consider 3570k and a Z77 board (ASRock - nice functionality and thrifty). While I have both the 3570k and Z77, I have not overclocked yet. All my applications work fine at stock for now. For a little extra investment I believe I have added a year or two to my performance.

I'd also go for a PSU 500-600 watt. Suggest: Corsair, Seasonic, or PC Power and Cooling. Lots of good brands - these three seem to be very good.

Good Luck
m
l
January 14, 2013 2:19:52 PM

Megaskull said:
As for upgrading, I want to make this build last, only switching out a Graphics Card or expanding RAM.

as I said above the build will last and yes you can upgrade the graphics but time will come where your cpu will start bottlenecking and then you should upgrade
m
l
January 14, 2013 2:40:40 PM

ur build nice, is there a website u use for ordering this stuff, i could help u more if i knew where ur ordering from thanks.

m
l
January 15, 2013 12:48:25 PM

Best answer selected by Megaskull.
m
l
January 15, 2013 12:59:25 PM

goodluck mate :) 
m
l
January 15, 2013 1:07:23 PM

Thank you to everyone for the feed back, you have helped me make a much more informed choice on my parts. Thank you again and have a good one.
m
l
January 15, 2013 1:16:12 PM

anytime my friend :) 

m
l
!