Solved

Advice on my PC build.

Hello guys :hello:
I have used Tom's hardware quite a bit in the past but for some reason did not make an account until this situation arose.
Anyway, I am yet another person looking to switch over to PC gaming from consoles and also upgrading my current computer which is a Pentium (Don't laugh).
So, I have done a lot of research and come up with this list of parts. My overall budget is 700$ but a might push some more for a part if it is worth it. I am pretty sure these are compatible and won't bottleneck each other but if they will please tell me. Also, I would appreciate your opinion on how much I will be able to upgrade this rig in the future e.g expanding RAM. It would be a shame if it only lasted me a year or two and I could not improve upon it for more recent games Thanks! :D

CPU----Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard----Intel DH67CLB3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
RAM----Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage----Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Graphics Card----XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Sound----Creative Labs Audigy SE 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Case----MSI TC- (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU----Antec Basiq 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive----Samsung SH-224BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer
Peripherals----My friend gave me his old mouse and keyboard etc so I'm good in that respect.

13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice build
  1. whats ur computer usage, and whats ur country of origin?

and ur maximum budget in ur currency.
  2. i think thats a good build already. should be a very capable gaming system at 1080p.
  3. Best answer
    hello there, as far as upgrading in future goes it all depends on you meaning it will be your choice when you want to upgrade to the new cpu/mobo/ram since your current mobo is old socket and it doesn't support the newest cpus (in theory) I personally tend to upgrade my processor with new chipset every 4 years or so...with graphics ill upgrade them before that but after 4 years the cpu will become a bottleneck to whatever good graphics they will have out by then

as far as your build I would change out the hard drive. the one you have picked is green edition meaning it will run a little cooler and draw less power...i dont think you would care so pick up western digital black series for little more performance

Use the integrated audio first before buying a dedicated one...nowadays the integrated audio cards are very good so unless you are in a recording studio and you really care about audio quality you wont hear the difference

Upgrade the power supply to 500-550watts
  4. - As someone already mentioned take out the sound card, motherboard already has a decent one, you won't know the difference.
    - Don't get green edition drives, they are slower than regular drives.
    - Buy a better motherboard, preferably chipset Z77 based.

Good luck.
  5. Thanks for helping me save a few bucks on the sound card and the advice on the Hard drive. As for upgrading, I want to make this build last, only switching out a Graphics Card or expanding RAM. I am also taking into consideration what you said about the mother board and am looking into a newer one. Other than that, thank you for the input! :)
  6. iceclock said:
    whats ur computer usage, and whats ur country of origin?

and ur maximum budget in ur currency.

I live in Pakistan and my max budget would be 750$ at the absolute most which is 75000 Rs, give or take a few hundred.
  7. +1 to last 2. Spec HDD 7200 rpm, no sound board.

Pls consider 3570k and a Z77 board (ASRock - nice functionality and thrifty). While I have both the 3570k and Z77, I have not overclocked yet. All my applications work fine at stock for now. For a little extra investment I believe I have added a year or two to my performance.

I'd also go for a PSU 500-600 watt. Suggest: Corsair, Seasonic, or PC Power and Cooling. Lots of good brands - these three seem to be very good.

Good Luck
  8. Megaskull said:
    As for upgrading, I want to make this build last, only switching out a Graphics Card or expanding RAM.

as I said above the build will last and yes you can upgrade the graphics but time will come where your cpu will start bottlenecking and then you should upgrade
  9. ur build nice, is there a website u use for ordering this stuff, i could help u more if i knew where ur ordering from thanks.
  10. Best answer selected by Megaskull.
  11. goodluck mate :)
  12. Thank you to everyone for the feed back, you have helped me make a much more informed choice on my parts. Thank you again and have a good one.
  13. anytime my friend :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems