Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will this setup work for new gaming rig? Which mobo?

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2013 2:57:48 PM

I need to know which motherboard to choose. I dont think the ASRock P67 is compatible with the NZXT Phantom tower.
I need a mobo that can support up to 3 GTX670s for the future, aswell as 3.0 usb. I need the best for gaming mobo and for it to future proof.
Also i would like to keep it under 200$ i may go a little more if the cons are really good.
I also need to know if the ssd will fit windows 7, and im not sure whether to go professional or ultimate. i also need to know a good CD/DVD drive.

Also if there is anything here that can be upgraded for something better with the same relative price i would like to know.

NZXT Phantom full tower

Corsair TX850

ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 *

Intel Core i5-2500K

Thermalright Silver Arrow

Corsair vengeance 8gb

EVGA GeForce gtx 670 FTW

Patriot Wildfire 120GB

Samsung SpintPoint F3

January 14, 2013 3:46:01 PM

That motherboard will work with that case - but why would you spend that kind of money for hardware from two years ago? What is your budget?
m
l

Best solution

January 15, 2013 12:02:40 AM

Are you sure you want to go with a Sandy Bridge? If you are trying to future proof, I would go with an Ivy Bridge i5-3570k. Plus, you might want to upgrade your chipset to Z77. I wound go with an Extreme6 Z77 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), but it doesn't have 3 PCI x16 slots. The 3 670's seems rather extreme. You should be getting great performance with just one let alone three. What are you running?
Related resources
January 15, 2013 12:43:26 AM

You would need an X79 chipset if you wanted proper PCI-E x16 slots without spending over $200.

With that comes a different socket as well - LGA2011, where you'll need another CPU, most likely an i7-3820 if you want the cheapest.
m
l
January 17, 2013 2:21:23 PM

g-unit1111 said:
That motherboard will work with that case - but why would you spend that kind of money for hardware from two years ago? What is your budget?

i actually got this build from a list here. i'm new to this and was only on 1500$ budget but as of yesterday i can go closer to 2k. if you could build the best pc for that budget that is not outdated what would you change?
m
l
January 17, 2013 2:25:44 PM

bookwormzsh said:
Are you sure you want to go with a Sandy Bridge? If you are trying to future proof, I would go with an Ivy Bridge i5-3570k. Plus, you might want to upgrade your chipset to Z77. I wound go with an Extreme6 Z77 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), but it doesn't have 3 PCI x16 slots. The 3 670's seems rather extreme. You should be getting great performance with just one let alone three. What are you running?

my future plans are to have 3 46-50" Monitors in surround and maybe a 40" and top of that to display whatever i may need or want. im trying to run demanding games on ultra as well as getting ready for crysis 3 on ultra which shouldn't be hard. i'm hoping to run at least 60 and no more than 72 fraps.
m
l
January 18, 2013 3:30:49 AM

Then you'll want more memory bandwidth, VRAM, and a higher bus rate.
AMD cards are the thing to get for Eyefinity setups.
m
l
!