New Build, No beeps, No Post, Tried everything

Daw100

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
As the thread says no beeps no post on a new build.

Here are my system specs

M5ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ ATX motherboard

Fx 8350 cpu

THERMALTA TR600 600W ATX PSU

CRUCIAL 8GB 4X2 D3 1600 DIMM CL9

also have a radeon 6950 gpu

and also have a sdd and hdd both are not installed because I have not got the system to post yet.

I have worked through the trouble shooting steps.

1. everything is plugged in where it needs to be
2. This is the second power supply i have tried
3. I then tried a new motherboard
4. Went to microcenter and the guy gave me new Ram to try
5. Also I borrowed a fx 4170 to make sure it wasn't a cpu or bios issue still no post beeps nothing on screen
6. Have tried multiple monitors
7. Have breadboarded outside of pc case still nothing
8. Yes i have a speaker installed on the board and yes it is installed correctly

A little history

this is my third pc build over the years.

When i built this pc and put everything together initially i got a continuous beep which was because i did not have the second 6 pin connector plugged into my gpu i think. So i bought an adapter for the original powersupply 2 molex to 6 pin and connected it to the gpu and then started up the pc. I got no beeps after that and no post.

So i decided to test everything systematically.
I changed powersupplies and went with the one listed that had 2 6 pin connectors for the graphics card- still nothing

So then i went to Micro center and got a new motherboard same model but went from revision 1.42 to rev 2.0 in hopes that it would solve the problem nothing

Also talked to the very knowledgeable guy at micro center and he gave me the RAM that is listed and i had him confirm that it was compatible. with the board. I also have pny memory that i tried. I have tried 2 sticks and then one stick and have tried different slots with the memory

Finally, I have tried using the 8350, but thought that maybe the boards bios did not support the 8350 even though the MicroCenter guy assured me that the rev 2.0 would support 8350. So i tried a fx 4170 chip that i have and still nothing happens.

the only thing that i haven't switched out is the graphics card, but thought that i should atleast get post beeps without it installed.

I am stuck and at a complete loss and so far throwing money at the problem has done nothing to help me so I am hoping that maybe I am missing something.

One last thing the power button on the case does not turn of the system but will turn it on.

All the fans and lights come on. the cpu fan spins and as it runs for a few seconds it seems to spin faster maybe. gpu fan spins psu fan spins case fans spin. LED on motherboard lights up ( i know that doesn't mean anything) but I am completley stumped.

I have "upgraded" recently from a full tower to micro atx tower swapping all of my parts in..i had problems starting too...after trying different combinations I found out the fan controller included with the case was faulty meaning when I had my fans plugged into it and I feed it power with molex the thing would not start..I disconnected power from the fan controller and plugged fans directly into my motherboard headers and it powered on

Daw100

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Yes, The wall outlet works, The psu is set to 110v as I am in North America, MoBo 24 pin is connected and so is the 4 pin 12v cpu plug.

Yes I have tried different sticks of ram and Have checked standoffs and screws and breadboarded to no avail. Also my case fans are molex and dont plug into the motherboard headers but when i breadboarded the motherboard they were not connected and still nothing.

Daw100

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
as i said this is the second power supply. All the parts are new within the last few days. This is the second MotherBoard
Second set of Ram and Second Power Supply. And still nothing. I have also tried two different CPU's... What Am i Missing?

Am I right to believe that i should still get post beeps without a gpu installed even on a mobo w/o on board graphics

Joao Marcos

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Man, I had a mobo from biostar, (crap****) that I decided to switch cases. I just got the mobo and put into another case and it did not work anymore. I ended up giving it to a friend and he found out that somehow a memory slot was burned and so was the PSU. All I did was to move the parts. The pc was working and 10 minutes after it was not anymore.

Well now I get ultra durable.

Hope it helps out.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Check the revision of the bios installed on the board. The revision of the bios firmware should be listed or printed on the motherboard located next to the bios chip. The board will only support your Cpu fx 3850 if the revision of the firmware is 1006. If the bios is of a lower revision it will be the cause of a black screen and no post of the system, or any bios beep code error messages.

Cpu support list.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97_R20/#CPUS

Daw100

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
ok quick caveat to the above posts on the bios. It is rev 2.0 but i do not see any sort of number like 1006 where would it be printed. Furthermore, I have inserted a 4170 cpu to try and make sure this was not the problem. Would i need to clear the cmos after having the 8350 in the cpu slot. Im stumped and completely frustrated.
1. The power supply tests good as i swapped it into an intel pc here at work and it worked fine.
2. Could the case speaker be broke? is there a way to test it?
3. If it was some sort of short would the fans and everything still work?

Daw100

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

i get lights and fans, but i get no post beeps and nothing on the monitor. According to the asus website all rev 2.0 board should have bios that atleast support 4170

Daw100

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
If there were a short somewhere what would happen? would the fans still spin and stuff or would it just be totally dead. I don't have another graphics card to switch out could that be the problem

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

Lights, fans but nothing on monitor - try a different monitor cable, verify the correct ports at both ends, the GPU fans are working and all power leads attached to it. Check t hat correct monitor input is selected in monitor's menu.

Daw100

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

I do not know, its the one thing that isn't new or proven, but what confuses me is that I am not getting any beeps from my case speaker giving me any indication of what could be wrong

Like I said all the fans spin lights come on, but there is no indication from the case speaker that the system is trying to post or failed to post. Everything runs fine for 5 minutes, that is as long as I have let it run before shutting it off.