Battlefield 2: Special Forces expansion pack

Malcolm

http://pc.ign.com/articles/632/632446p1.html

Sounds like a mix of 'Who Dares Wins' and 'Next Threat'
both of which are were cool Bf1942 mods.
'RTR' and 'SW' the two Bf1942 expansion packs, were very good, but got
slightly sidelined by the mods.
The BF2 Special Forces expansion pack is a must buy for all BF2 players,
it will add massive content for custom map mackers, and help the mod
teams too.
It should add Objective mode to BF2, ala 'Weapons Bunkers'
DICE Canada did a good job with BFV, even tho the game engine was
seriously lacking and needed heavy hardware to run nicely, revist BFV
with good hardware and check out the maps, they are very good, lots of
attention to details, which got lost by a lot of people who struggled to
get the game running when it first came out.

I will be buying it, and recomend everybody else who likes BF2 to do so too.

regards [AGB] malcolm

I will happily buy it....

AFTER they get the CURRENT game working properly...

malcolm wrote:
> http://pc.ign.com/articles/632/632446p1.html
>
> Sounds like a mix of 'Who Dares Wins' and 'Next Threat'
> both of which are were cool Bf1942 mods.
> 'RTR' and 'SW' the two Bf1942 expansion packs, were very good, but got
> slightly sidelined by the mods.
> The BF2 Special Forces expansion pack is a must buy for all BF2 players,
> it will add massive content for custom map mackers, and help the mod
> teams too.
> It should add Objective mode to BF2, ala 'Weapons Bunkers'
> DICE Canada did a good job with BFV, even tho the game engine was
> seriously lacking and needed heavy hardware to run nicely, revist BFV
> with good hardware and check out the maps, they are very good, lots of
> attention to details, which got lost by a lot of people who struggled to
> get the game running when it first came out.
>
> I will be buying it, and recomend everybody else who likes BF2 to do so
> too.
>
> regards [AGB] malcolm

Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2 runs
smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well done
and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players moved back
to plain BF42.

regards,

Achtung Ecco

Malcolm

Achtung Ecco wrote:
> malcolm wrote:
>
>> http://pc.ign.com/articles/632/632446p1.html
>>
>> Sounds like a mix of 'Who Dares Wins' and 'Next Threat'
>> both of which are were cool Bf1942 mods.
>> 'RTR' and 'SW' the two Bf1942 expansion packs, were very good, but got
>> slightly sidelined by the mods.
>> The BF2 Special Forces expansion pack is a must buy for all BF2 players,
>> it will add massive content for custom map mackers, and help the mod
>> teams too.
>> It should add Objective mode to BF2, ala 'Weapons Bunkers'
>> DICE Canada did a good job with BFV, even tho the game engine was
>> seriously lacking and needed heavy hardware to run nicely, revist BFV
>> with good hardware and check out the maps, they are very good, lots of
>> attention to details, which got lost by a lot of people who struggled
>> to get the game running when it first came out.
>>
>> I will be buying it, and recomend everybody else who likes BF2 to do
>> so too.
>>
>> regards [AGB] malcolm
>

> Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2 runs
> smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well done
> and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players moved back
> to plain BF42.
>
> regards,
>
> Achtung Ecco

the EA expansion packs were good, but eclipsed by EOD and DC

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

malcolm wrote:

>> Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2 runs
>> smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well done
>> and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players moved
>> back to plain BF42.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Achtung Ecco
>

> the EA expansion packs were good, but eclipsed by EOD and DC

It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game (Counter-Strike
of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an official expansion
is the continual development.

regards,

Achtung Ecco

Achtung Ecco wrote:
> malcolm wrote:
>
>> http://pc.ign.com/articles/632/632446p1.html
>>
>> Sounds like a mix of 'Who Dares Wins' and 'Next Threat'
>> both of which are were cool Bf1942 mods.
>> 'RTR' and 'SW' the two Bf1942 expansion packs, were very good, but got
>> slightly sidelined by the mods.
>> The BF2 Special Forces expansion pack is a must buy for all BF2 players,
>> it will add massive content for custom map mackers, and help the mod
>> teams too.
>> It should add Objective mode to BF2, ala 'Weapons Bunkers'
>> DICE Canada did a good job with BFV, even tho the game engine was
>> seriously lacking and needed heavy hardware to run nicely, revist BFV
>> with good hardware and check out the maps, they are very good, lots of
>> attention to details, which got lost by a lot of people who struggled
>> to get the game running when it first came out.
>>
>> I will be buying it, and recomend everybody else who likes BF2 to do
>> so too.
>>
>> regards [AGB] malcolm
>

> Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2 runs
> smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well done
> and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players moved back
> to plain BF42.
>
> regards,
>
> Achtung Ecco
very few moved back to 'plain' bf42. Most went to DC, FH, POE, or other
mods. Not exactly the same thing. With the muscle to run it bfv was a
great game. BF2 needs tweaking no doubt. ( need we mention reducing
transport helo life by half or sniper scope magnification?). But for an
EA game (and the state of the industry in general) it ran pretty good
right out of the gate.
Mr. Nemo

Achtung Ecco wrote:
> malcolm wrote:
>
>>> Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2
>>> runs smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well
>>> done and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players
>>> moved back to plain BF42.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> Achtung Ecco
>>

>> the EA expansion packs were good, but eclipsed by EOD and DC
>

> It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
> extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game (Counter-Strike
> of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an official expansion
> is the continual development.
>
> regards,
>
> Achtung Ecco
There is a classic battletech total conversion coming out that might do
it I hear....
Mr. Nemo

Solidus

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:29:20 +0200, Achtung Ecco <nospam@nospam.no>
wrote:

>malcolm wrote:
>
>>> Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2 runs
>>> smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well done
>>> and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players moved
>>> back to plain BF42.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> Achtung Ecco
>>

>> the EA expansion packs were good, but eclipsed by EOD and DC
>
>It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
>extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game (Counter-Strike
>of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an official expansion
>is the continual development.
>
>regards,
>
>Achtung Ecco

And besides too many mods divides and reduces the player base

/Solidus

Solidus wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:29:20 +0200, Achtung Ecco <nospam@nospam.no>
> wrote:

>>>the EA expansion packs were good, but eclipsed by EOD and DC
>>
>>It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
>>extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game (Counter-Strike
>>of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an official expansion
>>is the continual development.
>>
>>regards,
>>
>>Achtung Ecco
>

> And besides too many mods divides and reduces the player base
>

> /Solidus
But who doesn't want a go with BF2 -1918 once in awhile....

Solidus wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:29:20 +0200, Achtung Ecco <nospam@nospam.no>

>>It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
>>extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game (Counter-Strike
>>of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an official expansion
>>is the continual development.
>>
>>regards,
>>
>>Achtung Ecco
>
> And besides too many mods divides and reduces the player base

Well, perhaps. On the other hand, mods are free, it doesn't cost you
anythinh to try them out. And I seriously doubt Battlefield 1942 would
stayed so widely popular for so long without the Desert Combat mod (or
on a smaller scale Forgotten Hope). It kept the game "present". Most
games today sell strongest in the 3 months after launch, and have faded
away after 6 months. BF42 was strong for 2-3 years.

regards,

Achtung Ecco

Mr. Nemo wrote:
> Achtung Ecco wrote:

>> Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2 runs
>> smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well done
>> and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players moved
>> back to plain BF42.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Achtung Ecco
>
> very few moved back to 'plain' bf42. Most went to DC, FH, POE, or other
> mods. Not exactly the same thing. With the muscle to run it bfv was a
> great game. BF2 needs tweaking no doubt. ( need we mention reducing
> transport helo life by half or sniper scope magnification?). But for an
> EA game (and the state of the industry in general) it ran pretty good
> right out of the gate.
> Mr. Nemo

I bought BFV too, and was quite happy with it. I loved the way
helicopter insertion and infantry tactics worked in the game.

Just for the record, I think BF2 is a great game, and that I will be
playing it for a long time. I just think it is a bit cheeky to announce
the first money-spinning expansion pack, before the main game have been
patched properly ;-)

Also, while BFV primarily had some balance issues, I think BF2's balance
issues are less serious, and the game it self is just about bug-free.
On the other hand, some very basic details (in game browser is basically
useless, external server browser doesn't work) is hugely annoying.

Oh well, they will get it fixed, hopefully. Until then, it is summer, so
I shouldn't be playing computer games anyway ;-)

regards,

Achtung Ecco

Mr. Nemo wrote:
> Achtung Ecco wrote:

>> It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
>> extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game
>> (Counter-Strike of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an
>> official expansion is the continual development.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Achtung Ecco
>
> There is a classic battletech total conversion coming out that might do
> it I hear....
> Mr. Nemo

Man, we had fun with a Battletech board game some 10 years ago. I'll
look forward to trying out the mod.

One of the most visionary things about Battlefield* is that it is a
great mod-platform. The engine is clearly hugely flexible, it supplies a
"grand sweep" platform for modders. Too bad it is not open source :)

regards,

Achtung Ecco

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:16:50 +0200, Achtung Ecco wrote:

> One of the most visionary things about Battlefield* is that it is a
> great mod-platform. The engine is clearly hugely flexible, it supplies a
> "grand sweep" platform for modders. Too bad it is not open source :)

The Python integration is a great start IMO - it's similar in some ways to
the UScript platform of the Unreal engine. The main difference being that
UScript is proprietary however it covers the entire game - games such as
Raven Shield and America's Army are practically entirely created in
UScript. Even menu systems etc are scripted in it.

I believe it should be crystal clear now to game companies that an open
interface to the game and a transparent system leads to the strongest
modding communities, and therefore success of the game and series.

Open sourcing the engine would be pretty revolutionary in terms of big
name games. The modding community would love it, and I expect you'd see
the game prosper on other platforms, such as Linux, BSD and Macs. With
OSS inevitably comes forking and so on, which for a company like EA with a
strong brand recognition of the series would be a hard thought to swallow.

As nice as it would be, I don't believe somebody like EA would open source
to that extent any time soon.

Sorry if I took your comment too literally :D

--
Omnix, PunksBusted Staff
Building a safer gaming community, one server at a time

e: omnix@punksbusted.com w: http://www.punksbusted.com

Achtung Ecco wrote:
> Mr. Nemo wrote:
>
>> Achtung Ecco wrote:
>

>>> Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2
>>> runs smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well
>>> done and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players
>>> moved back to plain BF42.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> Achtung Ecco
>>

>> very few moved back to 'plain' bf42. Most went to DC, FH, POE, or
>> other mods. Not exactly the same thing. With the muscle to run it bfv
>> was a great game. BF2 needs tweaking no doubt. ( need we mention
>> reducing transport helo life by half or sniper scope magnification?).
>> But for an EA game (and the state of the industry in general) it ran
>> pretty good right out of the gate.
>> Mr. Nemo
>

> I bought BFV too, and was quite happy with it. I loved the way
> helicopter insertion and infantry tactics worked in the game.
>
> Just for the record, I think BF2 is a great game, and that I will be
> playing it for a long time. I just think it is a bit cheeky to announce
> the first money-spinning expansion pack, before the main game have been
> patched properly ;-)
>
> Also, while BFV primarily had some balance issues, I think BF2's balance
> issues are less serious, and the game it self is just about bug-free.
> On the other hand, some very basic details (in game browser is basically
> useless, external server browser doesn't work) is hugely annoying.
>
> Oh well, they will get it fixed, hopefully. Until then, it is summer, so
> I shouldn't be playing computer games anyway ;-)
>
> regards,
>
> Achtung Ecco
I would suspect the great bulk of the stuff in special forces is stuff
trimmed from bf2 in the first place. and by fall 2005 they mean the
x-mas holiday sales season.

Achtung Ecco wrote:
> Mr. Nemo wrote:
>
>> Achtung Ecco wrote:
>

>>> It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
>>> extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game
>>> (Counter-Strike of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an
>>> official expansion is the continual development.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> Achtung Ecco
>>

>> There is a classic battletech total conversion coming out that might
>> do it I hear....
>> Mr. Nemo
>

> Man, we had fun with a Battletech board game some 10 years ago. I'll
> look forward to trying out the mod.
>
> One of the most visionary things about Battlefield* is that it is a
> great mod-platform. The engine is clearly hugely flexible, it supplies a
> "grand sweep" platform for modders. Too bad it is not open source :)
>
> regards,
>
> Achtung Ecco
I really jsut want an editor where I can plop stuff down and make my own
maps and select vehicles. If I want a dense forrestt with a few twisty
trails I should be able to make it in under four hours with no previous
experience or it is pure shitte.

Omnix wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:16:50 +0200, Achtung Ecco wrote:
>

>>One of the most visionary things about Battlefield* is that it is a
>>great mod-platform. The engine is clearly hugely flexible, it supplies a
>>"grand sweep" platform for modders. Too bad it is not open source :)

[Snip]

Interesting stuff about the Unreal Engine - didn't know that.

> As nice as it would be, I don't believe somebody like EA would open source
> to that extent any time soon.
>
> Sorry if I took your comment too literally :D

Well, with the power available in graphic cards today, and with the
growing sophistication of open-source libraries and programming
languages (quite a lot of them have become de facto standards), I think
it could possible that an open-source 3D game platform (graphics,
physics and network code?) emerges. Could be quite interesting. Then
again, Free-Civ is not exactly the most exciting game in the world ;-)

regards,

Achtung Ecco

Achtung Ecco wrote:
> Omnix wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:16:50 +0200, Achtung Ecco wrote:
>>

>>> One of the most visionary things about Battlefield* is that it is a
>>> great mod-platform. The engine is clearly hugely flexible, it
>>> supplies a "grand sweep" platform for modders. Too bad it is not open
>>> source :)
>

> [Snip]
>
> Interesting stuff about the Unreal Engine - didn't know that.
>
>> As nice as it would be, I don't believe somebody like EA would open
>> source
>> to that extent any time soon.
>>
>> Sorry if I took your comment too literally :D
>

> Well, with the power available in graphic cards today, and with the
> growing sophistication of open-source libraries and programming
> languages (quite a lot of them have become de facto standards), I think
> it could possible that an open-source 3D game platform (graphics,
> physics and network code?) emerges. Could be quite interesting. Then
> again, Free-Civ is not exactly the most exciting game in the world ;-)
>
> regards,
>
> Achtung Ecco

Even more so as an onboard physics engine chip is due to appear.