Battlefield 2: Special Forces expansion pack

http://pc.ign.com/articles/632/632446p1.html

Sounds like a mix of 'Who Dares Wins' and 'Next Threat'
both of which are were cool Bf1942 mods.
'RTR' and 'SW' the two Bf1942 expansion packs, were very good, but got
slightly sidelined by the mods.
The BF2 Special Forces expansion pack is a must buy for all BF2 players,
it will add massive content for custom map mackers, and help the mod
teams too.
It should add Objective mode to BF2, ala 'Weapons Bunkers'
DICE Canada did a good job with BFV, even tho the game engine was
seriously lacking and needed heavy hardware to run nicely, revist BFV
with good hardware and check out the maps, they are very good, lots of
attention to details, which got lost by a lot of people who struggled to
get the game running when it first came out.

I will be buying it, and recomend everybody else who likes BF2 to do so too.

regards [AGB] malcolm
16 answers Last reply
More about battlefield special forces expansion pack

    I will happily buy it....

    AFTER they get the CURRENT game working properly...

    malcolm wrote:
    > http://pc.ign.com/articles/632/632446p1.html
    >
    > Sounds like a mix of 'Who Dares Wins' and 'Next Threat'
    > both of which are were cool Bf1942 mods.
    > 'RTR' and 'SW' the two Bf1942 expansion packs, were very good, but got
    > slightly sidelined by the mods.
    > The BF2 Special Forces expansion pack is a must buy for all BF2 players,
    > it will add massive content for custom map mackers, and help the mod
    > teams too.
    > It should add Objective mode to BF2, ala 'Weapons Bunkers'
    > DICE Canada did a good job with BFV, even tho the game engine was
    > seriously lacking and needed heavy hardware to run nicely, revist BFV
    > with good hardware and check out the maps, they are very good, lots of
    > attention to details, which got lost by a lot of people who struggled to
    > get the game running when it first came out.
    >
    > I will be buying it, and recomend everybody else who likes BF2 to do so
    > too.
    >
    > regards [AGB] malcolm

    Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2 runs
    smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well done
    and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players moved back
    to plain BF42.

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco

    Achtung Ecco wrote:
    > malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> http://pc.ign.com/articles/632/632446p1.html
    >>
    >> Sounds like a mix of 'Who Dares Wins' and 'Next Threat'
    >> both of which are were cool Bf1942 mods.
    >> 'RTR' and 'SW' the two Bf1942 expansion packs, were very good, but got
    >> slightly sidelined by the mods.
    >> The BF2 Special Forces expansion pack is a must buy for all BF2 players,
    >> it will add massive content for custom map mackers, and help the mod
    >> teams too.
    >> It should add Objective mode to BF2, ala 'Weapons Bunkers'
    >> DICE Canada did a good job with BFV, even tho the game engine was
    >> seriously lacking and needed heavy hardware to run nicely, revist BFV
    >> with good hardware and check out the maps, they are very good, lots of
    >> attention to details, which got lost by a lot of people who struggled
    >> to get the game running when it first came out.
    >>
    >> I will be buying it, and recomend everybody else who likes BF2 to do
    >> so too.
    >>
    >> regards [AGB] malcolm
    >

    > Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2 runs
    > smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well done
    > and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players moved back
    > to plain BF42.
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Achtung Ecco

    the EA expansion packs were good, but eclipsed by EOD and DC
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    malcolm wrote:

    >> Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2 runs
    >> smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well done
    >> and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players moved
    >> back to plain BF42.
    >>
    >> regards,
    >>
    >> Achtung Ecco
    >

    > the EA expansion packs were good, but eclipsed by EOD and DC

    It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
    extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game (Counter-Strike
    of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an official expansion
    is the continual development.

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    Achtung Ecco wrote:
    > malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> http://pc.ign.com/articles/632/632446p1.html
    >>
    >> Sounds like a mix of 'Who Dares Wins' and 'Next Threat'
    >> both of which are were cool Bf1942 mods.
    >> 'RTR' and 'SW' the two Bf1942 expansion packs, were very good, but got
    >> slightly sidelined by the mods.
    >> The BF2 Special Forces expansion pack is a must buy for all BF2 players,
    >> it will add massive content for custom map mackers, and help the mod
    >> teams too.
    >> It should add Objective mode to BF2, ala 'Weapons Bunkers'
    >> DICE Canada did a good job with BFV, even tho the game engine was
    >> seriously lacking and needed heavy hardware to run nicely, revist BFV
    >> with good hardware and check out the maps, they are very good, lots of
    >> attention to details, which got lost by a lot of people who struggled
    >> to get the game running when it first came out.
    >>
    >> I will be buying it, and recomend everybody else who likes BF2 to do
    >> so too.
    >>
    >> regards [AGB] malcolm
    >

    > Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2 runs
    > smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well done
    > and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players moved back
    > to plain BF42.
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Achtung Ecco
    very few moved back to 'plain' bf42. Most went to DC, FH, POE, or other
    mods. Not exactly the same thing. With the muscle to run it bfv was a
    great game. BF2 needs tweaking no doubt. ( need we mention reducing
    transport helo life by half or sniper scope magnification?). But for an
    EA game (and the state of the industry in general) it ran pretty good
    right out of the gate.
    Mr. Nemo
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    Achtung Ecco wrote:
    > malcolm wrote:
    >
    >>> Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2
    >>> runs smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well
    >>> done and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players
    >>> moved back to plain BF42.
    >>>
    >>> regards,
    >>>
    >>> Achtung Ecco
    >>

    >> the EA expansion packs were good, but eclipsed by EOD and DC
    >

    > It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
    > extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game (Counter-Strike
    > of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an official expansion
    > is the continual development.
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Achtung Ecco
    There is a classic battletech total conversion coming out that might do
    it I hear....
    Mr. Nemo
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:29:20 +0200, Achtung Ecco <nospam@nospam.no>
    wrote:

    >malcolm wrote:
    >
    >>> Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2 runs
    >>> smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well done
    >>> and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players moved
    >>> back to plain BF42.
    >>>
    >>> regards,
    >>>
    >>> Achtung Ecco
    >>

    >> the EA expansion packs were good, but eclipsed by EOD and DC
    >
    >It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
    >extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game (Counter-Strike
    >of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an official expansion
    >is the continual development.
    >
    >regards,
    >
    >Achtung Ecco

    And besides too many mods divides and reduces the player base

    /Solidus
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    Solidus wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:29:20 +0200, Achtung Ecco <nospam@nospam.no>
    > wrote:

    >>>the EA expansion packs were good, but eclipsed by EOD and DC
    >>
    >>It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
    >>extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game (Counter-Strike
    >>of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an official expansion
    >>is the continual development.
    >>
    >>regards,
    >>
    >>Achtung Ecco
    >

    > And besides too many mods divides and reduces the player base
    >

    > /Solidus
    But who doesn't want a go with BF2 -1918 once in awhile....
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    Solidus wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:29:20 +0200, Achtung Ecco <nospam@nospam.no>

    >>It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
    >>extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game (Counter-Strike
    >>of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an official expansion
    >>is the continual development.
    >>
    >>regards,
    >>
    >>Achtung Ecco
    >
    > And besides too many mods divides and reduces the player base

    Well, perhaps. On the other hand, mods are free, it doesn't cost you
    anythinh to try them out. And I seriously doubt Battlefield 1942 would
    stayed so widely popular for so long without the Desert Combat mod (or
    on a smaller scale Forgotten Hope). It kept the game "present". Most
    games today sell strongest in the 3 months after launch, and have faded
    away after 6 months. BF42 was strong for 2-3 years.

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    Mr. Nemo wrote:
    > Achtung Ecco wrote:

    >> Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2 runs
    >> smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well done
    >> and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players moved
    >> back to plain BF42.
    >>
    >> regards,
    >>
    >> Achtung Ecco
    >
    > very few moved back to 'plain' bf42. Most went to DC, FH, POE, or other
    > mods. Not exactly the same thing. With the muscle to run it bfv was a
    > great game. BF2 needs tweaking no doubt. ( need we mention reducing
    > transport helo life by half or sniper scope magnification?). But for an
    > EA game (and the state of the industry in general) it ran pretty good
    > right out of the gate.
    > Mr. Nemo

    I bought BFV too, and was quite happy with it. I loved the way
    helicopter insertion and infantry tactics worked in the game.

    Just for the record, I think BF2 is a great game, and that I will be
    playing it for a long time. I just think it is a bit cheeky to announce
    the first money-spinning expansion pack, before the main game have been
    patched properly ;-)

    Also, while BFV primarily had some balance issues, I think BF2's balance
    issues are less serious, and the game it self is just about bug-free.
    On the other hand, some very basic details (in game browser is basically
    useless, external server browser doesn't work) is hugely annoying.

    Oh well, they will get it fixed, hopefully. Until then, it is summer, so
    I shouldn't be playing computer games anyway ;-)

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    Mr. Nemo wrote:
    > Achtung Ecco wrote:

    >> It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
    >> extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game
    >> (Counter-Strike of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an
    >> official expansion is the continual development.
    >>
    >> regards,
    >>
    >> Achtung Ecco
    >
    > There is a classic battletech total conversion coming out that might do
    > it I hear....
    > Mr. Nemo

    Man, we had fun with a Battletech board game some 10 years ago. I'll
    look forward to trying out the mod.

    One of the most visionary things about Battlefield* is that it is a
    great mod-platform. The engine is clearly hugely flexible, it supplies a
    "grand sweep" platform for modders. Too bad it is not open source :-)

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:16:50 +0200, Achtung Ecco wrote:

    > One of the most visionary things about Battlefield* is that it is a
    > great mod-platform. The engine is clearly hugely flexible, it supplies a
    > "grand sweep" platform for modders. Too bad it is not open source :-)

    The Python integration is a great start IMO - it's similar in some ways to
    the UScript platform of the Unreal engine. The main difference being that
    UScript is proprietary however it covers the entire game - games such as
    Raven Shield and America's Army are practically entirely created in
    UScript. Even menu systems etc are scripted in it.

    I believe it should be crystal clear now to game companies that an open
    interface to the game and a transparent system leads to the strongest
    modding communities, and therefore success of the game and series.

    Open sourcing the engine would be pretty revolutionary in terms of big
    name games. The modding community would love it, and I expect you'd see
    the game prosper on other platforms, such as Linux, BSD and Macs. With
    OSS inevitably comes forking and so on, which for a company like EA with a
    strong brand recognition of the series would be a hard thought to swallow.

    As nice as it would be, I don't believe somebody like EA would open source
    to that extent any time soon.

    Sorry if I took your comment too literally :D

    --
    Omnix, PunksBusted Staff
    Building a safer gaming community, one server at a time

    e: omnix@punksbusted.com w: http://www.punksbusted.com
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    Achtung Ecco wrote:
    > Mr. Nemo wrote:
    >
    >> Achtung Ecco wrote:
    >

    >>> Looks quite fun. However, I won't buy anything from EA before BF2
    >>> runs smoothly. Additionally, while the BF42 expansion packs were well
    >>> done and quite fun, they where only shortlived, before the players
    >>> moved back to plain BF42.
    >>>
    >>> regards,
    >>>
    >>> Achtung Ecco
    >>

    >> very few moved back to 'plain' bf42. Most went to DC, FH, POE, or
    >> other mods. Not exactly the same thing. With the muscle to run it bfv
    >> was a great game. BF2 needs tweaking no doubt. ( need we mention
    >> reducing transport helo life by half or sniper scope magnification?).
    >> But for an EA game (and the state of the industry in general) it ran
    >> pretty good right out of the gate.
    >> Mr. Nemo
    >

    > I bought BFV too, and was quite happy with it. I loved the way
    > helicopter insertion and infantry tactics worked in the game.
    >
    > Just for the record, I think BF2 is a great game, and that I will be
    > playing it for a long time. I just think it is a bit cheeky to announce
    > the first money-spinning expansion pack, before the main game have been
    > patched properly ;-)
    >
    > Also, while BFV primarily had some balance issues, I think BF2's balance
    > issues are less serious, and the game it self is just about bug-free.
    > On the other hand, some very basic details (in game browser is basically
    > useless, external server browser doesn't work) is hugely annoying.
    >
    > Oh well, they will get it fixed, hopefully. Until then, it is summer, so
    > I shouldn't be playing computer games anyway ;-)
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Achtung Ecco
    I would suspect the great bulk of the stuff in special forces is stuff
    trimmed from bf2 in the first place. and by fall 2005 they mean the
    x-mas holiday sales season.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    Achtung Ecco wrote:
    > Mr. Nemo wrote:
    >
    >> Achtung Ecco wrote:
    >

    >>> It'll be intereting to see if a "dominant" mod for BF2 emerges. In
    >>> extreme, a mod can completely eclipse the original game
    >>> (Counter-Strike of course). Part of the attraction of a mod over an
    >>> official expansion is the continual development.
    >>>
    >>> regards,
    >>>
    >>> Achtung Ecco
    >>

    >> There is a classic battletech total conversion coming out that might
    >> do it I hear....
    >> Mr. Nemo
    >

    > Man, we had fun with a Battletech board game some 10 years ago. I'll
    > look forward to trying out the mod.
    >
    > One of the most visionary things about Battlefield* is that it is a
    > great mod-platform. The engine is clearly hugely flexible, it supplies a
    > "grand sweep" platform for modders. Too bad it is not open source :-)
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Achtung Ecco
    I really jsut want an editor where I can plop stuff down and make my own
    maps and select vehicles. If I want a dense forrestt with a few twisty
    trails I should be able to make it in under four hours with no previous
    experience or it is pure shitte.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    Omnix wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:16:50 +0200, Achtung Ecco wrote:
    >

    >>One of the most visionary things about Battlefield* is that it is a
    >>great mod-platform. The engine is clearly hugely flexible, it supplies a
    >>"grand sweep" platform for modders. Too bad it is not open source :-)

    [Snip]

    Interesting stuff about the Unreal Engine - didn't know that.

    > As nice as it would be, I don't believe somebody like EA would open source
    > to that extent any time soon.
    >
    > Sorry if I took your comment too literally :D

    Well, with the power available in graphic cards today, and with the
    growing sophistication of open-source libraries and programming
    languages (quite a lot of them have become de facto standards), I think
    it could possible that an open-source 3D game platform (graphics,
    physics and network code?) emerges. Could be quite interesting. Then
    again, Free-Civ is not exactly the most exciting game in the world ;-)

    regards,

    Achtung Ecco
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    Achtung Ecco wrote:
    > Omnix wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:16:50 +0200, Achtung Ecco wrote:
    >>

    >>> One of the most visionary things about Battlefield* is that it is a
    >>> great mod-platform. The engine is clearly hugely flexible, it
    >>> supplies a "grand sweep" platform for modders. Too bad it is not open
    >>> source :-)
    >

    > [Snip]
    >
    > Interesting stuff about the Unreal Engine - didn't know that.
    >
    >> As nice as it would be, I don't believe somebody like EA would open
    >> source
    >> to that extent any time soon.
    >>
    >> Sorry if I took your comment too literally :D
    >

    > Well, with the power available in graphic cards today, and with the
    > growing sophistication of open-source libraries and programming
    > languages (quite a lot of them have become de facto standards), I think
    > it could possible that an open-source 3D game platform (graphics,
    > physics and network code?) emerges. Could be quite interesting. Then
    > again, Free-Civ is not exactly the most exciting game in the world ;-)
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Achtung Ecco

    Even more so as an onboard physics engine chip is due to appear.

Battlefield Video Games