Help deciding whether to use HDMI or DVI (TV as monitor)

Polinter

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hello, just a quick nooby question: I will be using my Samsung Syncmaster t220hd as a monitor for my new PC. I was planning on using and HDMI cable, however does this require a motherboard with an HDMI slot. Does the HDMI cable go from the GPU to the TV or the Mobo to the TV?

If I use DVI then I will only be getting video, what cables must I then use for audio?

Again sorry, the answer I'm sure is obvious.

Thanks in advance!

Wolfshadw

Titan
If your system has a discrete graphics card (GPU), you would connected the HDTV to the graphic card's HDMI output.
If your system has a discrete graohics card but without and HDMI output, you would connect the HDTV to either the graphic card's DVI or VGA output. For audio, you would need to also connect your HDTV's audio in to your motherboard's green audio output using a 3.5mm stereo to L/R RCA Audio cable.
If your system does not have a discrete graphics card and the motherboard does have an HDMI output and a CPU/Motherboard with onboard graphic capabilities, then you would connect the HDTV to the motherboard's HDMI output.
If your system does not have a discrete graphics card and the motherboard only has DVI and/or VGA, you would connect the HDTV to the motherboard using one of those two ports. The audio would be connected separately, the same way as above.

-Wolf sends

Polinter

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
You will also need to be sure you have enabled
Vsync
in your graphics card driver

This stops the graphics card sending more frames than the monitor or TV can display .
Monitors can usually handle this , TV's usually cant and could be damaged

hershey4

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
I am wondering similar thing. My PC monitor (HP2159m) has hdmi input and my new video card (GT630) has a mini-hdmi output. I have it set up as full DVI currently. But, I occasionally stream TV on this monitor. Would the picture quality improve significantly if I set it up with HDMI instead of DVI?

I use the system 99% not video related. Will connecting as HDMI have any impact on non-video usage?

Wolfshadw

Titan
No, you should not see any difference in the image. DVI and HDMI both carry the same digital video signal. The only difference between the two is that HDMI also carries audio. Unless your monitor has speaker that you actually want to use, there is no reason to use HDMI to your monitor.

-Wolf sends