Which option should i take for getting internet on an upper floor?

danedude1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hey there. Earlier i made a thread (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/38000-42-building-internet) about getting internet on the second floor of my house for a desktop (online) gaming PC. I need help deciding between the options. My options are:
-Get a wireless adapter for the PC
-Use macbook running windows 7 to share internet to PC through a crossover cable (slow?)
-Use powerline adapters (house is 115 years old...this option seams iffy)
-Run a cat6 ethernet cable along the floor/ceiling through a room, then up through the ceiling, into the "computer room." (Could i get Comcast [or anyone] to do this for me?)

Thanks a ton in advance. Let me know if i left out any huge options that i happened to miss!

danedude1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

hahaha, i highly doubt theyre that old. Otherwise this house wouldn't last much longer before it burned to the ground! :s
Anyways, i've heard the powerline adapter idea is 'hit or miss', and there can be a bit on interference with the lower end units and other electrical devices in the home... After doing more research, i dont think im going with powerline adapters. Bit too risky.
Do you know if Comcast could help me out with... drilling holes in my ceiling/floor? Its scary D:

tomatthe

Distinguished
I don't think they would help with running the cabling unless it was to get a cable tv connection to the room. I don't have exp with Comcast directly, but that's how TWC works.

I definitely agree that running the cable is your best option though. I've got about an 8 year old home, and do use the powerline adapters which work great, but that's only for a dvr to pull down show listings. I would not want to trust it for gaming.

danedude1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Sweet, thanks. Ya think they would run a coaxial cable to the second floor then? I'd just tell them i wanted to plug it into my monitor (which i do want to do).

tomatthe

Distinguished

This is how I've always seen it done as well.

danedude1

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Ok. Think they'll drill a hole in a window frame on the second floor of the house? Also, how do i contact them? I cant seam to figure out how to set up an appointment via phone.......

ram1009

Distinguished
I wouldn't expose Cat 6 cable to weather if I were you. I ran Ethernet cables through my house and only had to drill one hole getting from the basement to the ground floor. A little planning goes a long way. You can buy a stapler that makes attaching the cable much easier. It's a little time and effort invested that will pay dividends forever.