Sign in with
Your question

Which option should i take for getting internet on an upper floor?

Last response: in Networking
January 6, 2012 1:19:44 AM

Hey there. Earlier i made a thread (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/38000-42-building-int...) about getting internet on the second floor of my house for a desktop (online) gaming PC. I need help deciding between the options. My options are:
-Get a wireless adapter for the PC
-Use macbook running windows 7 to share internet to PC through a crossover cable (slow?)
-Use powerline adapters (house is 115 years old...this option seams iffy)
-Run a cat6 ethernet cable along the floor/ceiling through a room, then up through the ceiling, into the "computer room." (Could i get Comcast [or anyone] to do this for me?)

Thanks a ton in advance. Let me know if i left out any huge options that i happened to miss!
January 6, 2012 2:10:24 AM

I prefer running Ethernet cables when I can hide them, but the powerline adapters should be a decent option. I HOPE your power cables are not 115 years old ;) 
m
l
January 6, 2012 2:54:52 AM

PhilFrisbie said:
I prefer running Ethernet cables when I can hide them, but the powerline adapters should be a decent option. I HOPE your power cables are not 115 years old ;) 

hahaha, i highly doubt theyre that old. Otherwise this house wouldn't last much longer before it burned to the ground! :s
Anyways, i've heard the powerline adapter idea is 'hit or miss', and there can be a bit on interference with the lower end units and other electrical devices in the home... After doing more research, i dont think im going with powerline adapters. Bit too risky.
Do you know if Comcast could help me out with... drilling holes in my ceiling/floor? Its scary D:
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 6, 2012 12:59:57 PM

I don't think they would help with running the cabling unless it was to get a cable tv connection to the room. I don't have exp with Comcast directly, but that's how TWC works.

I definitely agree that running the cable is your best option though. I've got about an 8 year old home, and do use the powerline adapters which work great, but that's only for a dvr to pull down show listings. I would not want to trust it for gaming.
m
l
January 6, 2012 2:40:10 PM

tomatthe said:
I don't think they would help with running the cabling unless it was to get a cable tv connection to the room. I don't have exp with Comcast directly, but that's how TWC works.

I definitely agree that running the cable is your best option though. I've got about an 8 year old home, and do use the powerline adapters which work great, but that's only for a dvr to pull down show listings. I would not want to trust it for gaming.

Sweet, thanks. Ya think they would run a coaxial cable to the second floor then? I'd just tell them i wanted to plug it into my monitor (which i do want to do).
m
l
January 6, 2012 4:43:34 PM

The cable company will most likely run the cable on the outside of your house and drill a hole in the nearest window frame instead of drilling holes in your walls and floors and trying to fish the cable through the walls.
m
l
January 6, 2012 6:02:04 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
The cable company will most likely run the cable on the outside of your house and drill a hole in the nearest window frame instead of drilling holes in your walls and floors and trying to fish the cable through the walls.

This is how I've always seen it done as well.
m
l
January 7, 2012 6:58:56 PM

Ok. Think they'll drill a hole in a window frame on the second floor of the house? Also, how do i contact them? I cant seam to figure out how to set up an appointment via phone.......
m
l
January 9, 2012 10:58:33 AM

Check your cable bill. It usually has an 800 help line you can call.
m
l
January 16, 2012 8:01:16 PM

I wouldn't expose Cat 6 cable to weather if I were you. I ran Ethernet cables through my house and only had to drill one hole getting from the basement to the ground floor. A little planning goes a long way. You can buy a stapler that makes attaching the cable much easier. It's a little time and effort invested that will pay dividends forever.
m
l
January 19, 2012 7:33:50 PM

You can always get shielded and direct bury cable from amazon. Think 100 feet was about $90 with shorter lengths available
m
l
!