Need a video card

loadnpants

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
I know i posted a post a few days ago so i'll repaste the specs but i would like to spend less the $100.

The card I'm thinking of atm is: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4501123&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CKX17qm497MCFYw-MgodShAALA
It is a pci-express 3.0 x16 card, is it backward compatible to this machine below?

His monitor is vga and dvi (so i either need to get a dvi cable or a hdmi-to-dvi converter for already owned hdmi cable)

My son is getting a hand me down desktop from my in-laws and he wants to upgrade it to play his games.

First the machine is a:
HP Pavillion p6320y
Motherboard: M2N78-LA (Violet6)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 820
8G of ram (to be upgraded to max 16g)
300W power supply (to be upgraded to 650W)
Expansion Slots:
1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
2 PCI Express x1 slots
1 PCI slot
1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot

He plays games like League of Legends, Minecraft, among others. Our family computer (almost same p6310y) barely runs them, but bc the machine does not have a dedicated graphics card, it runs poorly.

I would like a graphics card that will play at least those games.
Can the card be pci express 2.0 or 3.0? are those backward compatible? (I may build a new computer for him next yr or two) and would like to use as many components as possible to save money.

His budget is $100 or less. Obviously, cheaper the better. If it doesn't benefit him to get a much better 3.0 or 2.0 card, and we stick with x16?

Thanks,
Adam

Solution
He already choose a good one for $89.99, evga brand and support is better than zotac, and he wants to spend less than 100$.
For games like lol and minecraft like someone said either the 7750 or 650 will do.
Buy that one at the price it is you won't find a card cheaper with same/better performance for less than 100$, and for those games it will do.
The pcie 3.0 cards are 100% compatible with 2.0 pcie and without loss of performance as long it has on a x16 lane 2.0/1.1
But like you said, you really need the psu changed for that card, buy a corsair builder cx 430w or antec vp-450w it's cheap.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012