I just can't figure out what the problem is.

imjustin

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I purchased the components for a computer and pieced it together about a year ago and am having issues, parts included:

Motherboard: Biostar TH67+B3 Intel H67 LGA1155

Processor: INTEL CORE I5-2320 SANDY BRIDGE 3.0GHZ LGA 1155 6M (I69-2320)

Memory: Corsair 8GB DDR3 PC10666 1333MHz Kit 2x4GB (C13-1007)

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 OC Ed. 1GB GDDR5 PCIe (G452-0566)

Hard Drive: WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-6G (TSD-500AAKX SY)

CD Player: ASUS 24X DVDRW SATA OEM (A455-5022)

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 600W Power Supply (T925-3014)

Okay, so the problem is that after piecing it together, everything was great and ran awesome and was everything I wanted...
Then after about a month I started encountering something weird. A temporary locking up and buzzing sound coming out of my speakers during the locking up.

Playing games is when it usually started, or sometimes while watching videos on youtube. If I exit the game/video, it would still continue on for a while some times if I had it only on my desktop screen with every thing else closed.

My first thoughts was that it was probably temperature related, so I would check the temp and it would be fine.

All of this being said, I stopped worrying about it because shortly after, the locking up and buzzing stopped... for a about 9 months until now. It has started again and is very aggravating.

So once again I checked my temps, my GPU is at 34 currently, and my CPU on the "Real Temp GT 3.70" program is showing this:

Temperature (C)
53 50 51 48
Distance to TJ Max (not sure what that means)
46 49 48 50

And then the other temps at the bottom are as follows:

Minimum:
52 48 50 47

Max:
65 64 64 60

I wish I could explain the noise more, but I can't more than it's just a buzzing sound. Not a squealing or whistling or anything... just a buzz.
Also when I say it "locks up" I don't mean I have to shut down, it's just a stutter or something, it unlocks after what I would say about 0.75-1.5 seconds and seems normal for possibly a few seconds at a time, then will do it again.

Sometimes it acts fine... but the times when it doesn't is super inconvenient. If someone could tell me how to trouble shoot this to get it fixed I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,
Justin.

imjustin

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

It's the stock heatsink.

It wasn't clicked in all the way like you said, so I took it off and wiped it clean (a lot of dust on it) and now it's idling currently at max 78 78 78 76!!! did I do something wrong? am I supposed to put gel in the middle of it or something if I remember correctly?

it looked like there used to be gel inbetween them but it's gone. and kinda orange colored (like burnt)

strife_ff7

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Yes you need to apply some thermal compound. Here is some good compound http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007
Before you apply the new compound get all the old compound off with a lint free cloth or coffee filter that as a little isopropyl alcohol on it. Get the old compound off the cooler and cpu. When I apply new compound I put a dot in the middle of the cpu a little smaller than a pea and let the cooler spread it when I place it on the cpu.

I think you have found the source of your problem.

The stock heatsink comes with htree grey strips of paste pre applied.
If you remove the cooler, you need to clean off the old material. Rubbing alcohol and a lint free paper coffee filter will do the job.

Buy a tube of something like arctic silver 5.

If you want, play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.
Place the cooler so that all 4 pins are oriented over the holes in the motherboard.

Push down on the entire cooler so that all 4 pins are through the motherboard.
When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

The trick to getting it on is to push down on a diagonal pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard must be out of the case to do the job.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly.

imjustin

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Okay, so I got some Arctic Silver 5 and applied it. My temps went down about 20 degrees all across the board.
Min/max is now:

33 31 31 29
39 36 37 35

It's progress. I hope it stops the buzzing and temporary freezing. Thanks and wish me luck, after a few hours I will post whether or not it works for google seo.