PowerColor or Diamond 7870?

Rscpa7

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Ok last week I asked about getting a GTX 660 or Radeon 7870. After talking with you guys I decided on the 7870. I found pretty good prices on two cards one by Diamond Multimedia and the other by PowerColor. Do you think there would be any difference in quality between the two? I kind of like the PowerColor a little better but I haven't really heard of them before.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
I'm sure they would be fine. I personally prefer HIS or Saphire but you'll pay a bit more. I never buy based on rebate either. If you wouldn't pay the full, before rebate price,(which you do at first anyway) don't buy it. That Powercolor is out of stock at the moment also.

Rscpa7

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

I kind of figured that they would both be fine but I wasn't sure. Usually I go with HIS or Saphire to, however they seem to be very hit or miss with the 7870's. There are a lot of negative comments on internet sale sites and enthusiast forums. Also I wasn't crazy over HIS's cooler on the Ice-Q. What did you mean by “If you wouldn't pay the full, before rebate price,(which you do at first anyway) don't buy it?" They are both out of stock right now which is fine because I am not going to go out and get the card this second I can wait; it gives me time to make a decision.

What happened that was so bad?

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

I just meant that if you were going with those choices because they were the lowest cost, especially with rebate considered that It might make more sense to take the rebate out of the equation. The "it's only $x.xx after rebate" argument isn't a very good one.
1. because many never get it anyway.
2. you are paying the full price upfront anyway so the money is spent, might as well get the best card for close to that price.

If you don't consider the rebate, then the HIS and Sapphire are only slightly more expensive and already slightly overclocked as well.
A rebate on a product you were going to buy anyway is gravy but I never use it as a purchase price determining factor.
Not saying you were, just threw that out there incase you were.