Olympus E300 firmware update from a Mac?

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 27, 2005 1:46:28 AM

Has anyone sucessfully done a recent firmware update on an E300 from a
Mac? In many, many attempts, I keep getting a message saying "failed to
connect to server".

ADVthanxANCE
July 27, 2005 7:14:02 AM

Earl Misanchuk wrote:

> Has anyone sucessfully done a recent firmware update on an E300 from a
> Mac? In many, many attempts, I keep getting a message saying "failed to
> connect to server".

Seems some people have had a problem due to their router config etc. If you
can post -how- you are conected to the net, I might be able to help. It
doesn't have anything to do with the platform you're using. BTW have you
tried to update the software from the "update software" menu selection?

--

Stacey
Anonymous

In article <3koqhqFvfqdgU3@individual.net>, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Earl Misanchuk wrote:
>
> > Has anyone sucessfully done a recent firmware update on an E300 from a
> > Mac? In many, many attempts, I keep getting a message saying "failed to
> > connect to server".
> >

> Seems some people have had a problem due to their router config etc. If you
> can post -how- you are conected to the net, I might be able to help. It
> doesn't have anything to do with the platform you're using. BTW have you
> tried to update the software from the "update software" menu selection?

I'm on a cable modem with shaw.ca (ISP); OS 10.3.8, dual 1 GHz Mac G4.
I've tried it with my OS X firewall turned off and turned on -- no
difference. The ISP says that they are not running any firewalls or
anything that should interfere.

Yes, I have successfully downloaded and installed the software update.
It's just the firmware that doesn't work.
July 28, 2005 9:30:25 PM

Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Earl Misanchuk wrote:
>
> > Has anyone sucessfully done a recent firmware update on an E300 from a
> > Mac? In many, many attempts, I keep getting a message saying "failed to
> > connect to server".
> >

> Seems some people have had a problem due to their router config etc. If you
> can post -how- you are conected to the net, I might be able to help. It
> doesn't have anything to do with the platform you're using. BTW have you
> tried to update the software from the "update software" menu selection?

I have updated the firmware on my E-1 several times succesfully with my
Mac Powerbook. However, I remember finding the routine with the "update
software" menu selection a bit confusing at first.

Ton
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 9:39:43 PM

In article <earl.misanchuk-12D382.11270628072005@news>,
Earl Misanchuk <earl.misanchuk@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote:

> In article <3koqhqFvfqdgU3@individual.net>, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Earl Misanchuk wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone sucessfully done a recent firmware update on an E300 from a
> > > Mac? In many, many attempts, I keep getting a message saying "failed to
> > > connect to server".
> > >

> > Seems some people have had a problem due to their router config etc. If you
> > can post -how- you are conected to the net, I might be able to help. It
> > doesn't have anything to do with the platform you're using. BTW have you
> > tried to update the software from the "update software" menu selection?
>
> I'm on a cable modem with shaw.ca (ISP); OS 10.3.8, dual 1 GHz Mac G4.
> I've tried it with my OS X firewall turned off and turned on -- no
> difference. The ISP says that they are not running any firewalls or
> anything that should interfere.
>
> Yes, I have successfully downloaded and installed the software update.
> It's just the firmware that doesn't work.

I should also have mentioned that I do have a file named
sup_firmwareupdater.asp sitting on my Mac; I'm not sure where or when it
arrived. Does this have anything to do with my problem? When I
double-click it, Photoshop ( ! ) tries to open it, but fails.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 9:39:44 PM

"Earl Misanchuk" <earl.misanchuk@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote in message
> In article <earl.misanchuk-12D382.11270628072005@news>,
> Earl Misanchuk <earl.misanchuk@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > In article <3koqhqFvfqdgU3@individual.net>, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Seems some people have had a problem due to their router config etc.
If you
> > > can post -how- you are conected to the net, I might be able to help.
It
> > > doesn't have anything to do with the platform you're using. BTW have
you
> > > tried to update the software from the "update software" menu
selection?

> > I'm on a cable modem with shaw.ca (ISP); OS 10.3.8, dual 1 GHz Mac G4.
> > I've tried it with my OS X firewall turned off and turned on -- no
> > difference. The ISP says that they are not running any firewalls or
> > anything that should interfere.
> >
> > Yes, I have successfully downloaded and installed the software update.
> > It's just the firmware that doesn't work.
>
> I should also have mentioned that I do have a file named
> sup_firmwareupdater.asp sitting on my Mac; I'm not sure where or when it
> arrived. Does this have anything to do with my problem? When I
> double-click it, Photoshop ( ! ) tries to open it, but fails.

..asp files are Microsoft web server side scripts, active server pages.
Whatever browser you're using is getting confused. I don't know why
Photoshop registers .asp file extensions, I suppose it also designates some
type of graphic format.

Either your browser is downloading something it's not supposed to, or if it
is the correct file you can simply rename it to sup_firmwareupdater.bin or
whatever it should be named.

Greg
July 29, 2005 2:29:06 AM

Earl Misanchuk wrote:

> In article <3koqhqFvfqdgU3@individual.net>, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Earl Misanchuk wrote:
>>
>> > Has anyone sucessfully done a recent firmware update on an E300 from a
>> > Mac? In many, many attempts, I keep getting a message saying "failed to
>> > connect to server".
>> >

>> Seems some people have had a problem due to their router config etc. If
>> you can post -how- you are conected to the net, I might be able to help.
>> It doesn't have anything to do with the platform you're using. BTW have
>> you tried to update the software from the "update software" menu
>> selection?
>
> I'm on a cable modem with shaw.ca (ISP); OS 10.3.8, dual 1 GHz Mac G4.
> I've tried it with my OS X firewall turned off and turned on -- no
> difference. The ISP says that they are not running any firewalls or
> anything that should interfere.

Is the machine connected directly to the modem or is there a router between
the machine and the network? Like I said, several people have had problems
with the "firewall" in the router blocking the update, the easy fix was for
them to connect the computer to the modem without the router while doing
this update.

> Yes, I have successfully downloaded and installed the software update.

What I meant does the "update software" automated update from within the
software work? Or does it fail like the update firmware one does? Or is
that how you updated the software? Unlike the firmware, there are 2 ways of
updating the software.

> It's just the firmware that doesn't work.

Downloading a software update file is different than the way the formware
update works. The master software much be able to access the net and send
the curent camera info to the olympus server for the correct firmware
update to be sent back to the camera.

Feel free to ask and answer questions, I'll see if I can get you through
this as it's WELL worth the trouble! I think these other people are
confused and think you are just trying to download a file, that isn't how a
fireware update on this camera works.

--

Stacey
Anonymous

In article <earl.misanchuk-12D382.11270628072005@news>,
Earl Misanchuk <earl.misanchuk@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote:

> I'm on a cable modem with shaw.ca (ISP); OS 10.3.8, dual 1 GHz Mac G4.
> I've tried it with my OS X firewall turned off and turned on -- no
> difference. The ISP says that they are not running any firewalls or
> anything that should interfere.
>
> Yes, I have successfully downloaded and installed the software update.
> It's just the firmware that doesn't work.

Is the original file at an FTP or HTTP location? On a Mac (with OS X),
FTP access is blocked by default. You have to go to System
Preferences:Sharing, and select FTP Access. For protection, you should
turn off FTP access after you have downloaded the file.

Merritt
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:56:54 AM

"Merritt Mullen" <mmullen8014@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> In article <earl.misanchuk-12D382.11270628072005@news>,
> Earl Misanchuk <earl.misanchuk@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > I'm on a cable modem with shaw.ca (ISP); OS 10.3.8, dual 1 GHz Mac G4.
> > I've tried it with my OS X firewall turned off and turned on -- no
> > difference. The ISP says that they are not running any firewalls or
> > anything that should interfere.
> >
> > Yes, I have successfully downloaded and installed the software update.
> > It's just the firmware that doesn't work.
>
> Is the original file at an FTP or HTTP location? On a Mac (with OS X),
> FTP access is blocked by default. You have to go to System
> Preferences:Sharing, and select FTP Access. For protection, you should
> turn off FTP access after you have downloaded the file.

That has absolutely nothing to do with being an FTP client and is horrible
advice. FTP access does not need to be on for someone using OS X to grab
files from another server via FTP. That's absurd. It's there to turn your
system into an FTP server.

Greg
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 5:34:01 AM

In article <11eitn1pk958r27@corp.supernews.com>,
"G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> "Merritt Mullen" <mmullen8014@mchsi.com> wrote in message

> > Is the original file at an FTP or HTTP location? On a Mac (with OS X),
> > FTP access is blocked by default. You have to go to System
> > Preferences:Sharing, and select FTP Access. For protection, you should
> > turn off FTP access after you have downloaded the file.

> That has absolutely nothing to do with being an FTP client and is horrible
> advice. FTP access does not need to be on for someone using OS X to grab
> files from another server via FTP. That's absurd. It's there to turn your
> system into an FTP server.

HOWEVER, on the Mac with OS X, you CANNOT access a web site that has an
FTP address (ftp://ftp.xyz..) UNLESS you specifically do as I said.
Access is off by default in both directions.

One of the applications I use posts its updates on an FTP site. I cannot
access that site to download the updates without first manually enabling
FTP access.

If I am screwed up here, you will have to explain it to me in simple
terms. I have an MSEE, but am not a computer engineer.

Merritt
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 5:34:02 AM

> In article <11eitn1pk958r27@corp.supernews.com>,
> "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> > "Merritt Mullen" <mmullen8014@mchsi.com> wrote in message
>
> > > Is the original file at an FTP or HTTP location? On a Mac (with OS
X),
> > > FTP access is blocked by default. You have to go to System
> > > Preferences:Sharing, and select FTP Access. For protection, you
should
> > > turn off FTP access after you have downloaded the file.
>
> > That has absolutely nothing to do with being an FTP client and is
horrible
> > advice. FTP access does not need to be on for someone using OS X to
grab
> > files from another server via FTP. That's absurd. It's there to turn
your
> > system into an FTP server.
>
> HOWEVER, on the Mac with OS X, you CANNOT access a web site that has an
> FTP address (ftp://ftp.xyz..) UNLESS you specifically do as I said.
> Access is off by default in both directions.

I set up OS X boxes every day and can FTP right out of the box right after
the install. Something else is wrong with your setup or network.

> One of the applications I use posts its updates on an FTP site. I cannot
> access that site to download the updates without first manually enabling
> FTP access.

There is no enabling FTP to connect to remote sites. The setting you are
talking about is to turn on and off the FTP server that comes with OS X.

> If I am screwed up here, you will have to explain it to me in simple
> terms. I have an MSEE, but am not a computer engineer.

You are screwed up here. Something else is wrong.

Greg
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 6:40:04 PM

In article <3ktijjFvu155U1@individual.net>, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com>
wrote:

[quite a bit snipped]

> Is the machine connected directly to the modem or is there a router between
> the machine and the network? Like I said, several people have had problems
> with the "firewall" in the router blocking the update, the easy fix was for
> them to connect the computer to the modem without the router while doing
> this update.

Good point. I neglected to mention that there is an ethernet hub in
between. (I guess I just assumed that a hub was too "dumb" to make a
difference.) However, I tried connecting directly as you suggest, but
still no joy. I still get a msg saying "Failed to communicate with the
server"

> > Yes, I have successfully downloaded and installed the software update.
>
> What I meant does the "update software" automated update from within the
> software work? Or does it fail like the update firmware one does? Or is
> that how you updated the software? Unlike the firmware, there are 2 ways of
> updating the software.

I actually did this some time ago and the details are a bit fuzzy, but
as I recall, I dowloaded the software update from within Olympus MASTER
(i.e., by choosing the "update software" menu item), then ran it to
accomplish the update.

> > It's just the firmware that doesn't work.
>
> Downloading a software update file is different than the way the formware
> update works. The master software much be able to access the net and send
> the curent camera info to the olympus server for the correct firmware
> update to be sent back to the camera.
>
> Feel free to ask and answer questions, I'll see if I can get you through
> this as it's WELL worth the trouble! I think these other people are
> confused and think you are just trying to download a file, that isn't how a
> fireware update on this camera works.
>
> --
>
> Stacey

Thanx. I appreciate your help. I may have to take it back to the dealer
and see if they can do it for me.
July 30, 2005 3:50:37 AM

Earl Misanchuk wrote:

> I actually did this some time ago and the details are a bit fuzzy, but
> as I recall, I dowloaded the software update from within Olympus MASTER
> (i.e., by choosing the "update software" menu item), then ran it to
> accomplish the update.

Have you gotten the LATEST master update to version 1.3? If not, that could
be the problem? If you don't have version 1.3 of the software, try doing it
from the "update software" menu item and see if that update works right.
Then try the firmware again.

> Thanx. I appreciate your help. I may have to take it back to the dealer
> and see if they can do it for me.

Might be the easiest solution if the above fails. Mine for some reason
alweays updates without an issue but I am always doing it late at night,
that might be the difference?
--

Stacey
!