Updating my RIG for gaming purposes, advice is welcome

shenk

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hello everyone!

I've had quite a debate with myself for the last 2-3 months on whether I buy a new Pre-built computer or upgrade my current RIG. As the thread title says I play alot of games, mostly online and I been checking CPU, PSU, Motherboard components based on the best price/performance since I'm not on a very high budget unfortunately...

But anyway these are my specs:

Case: HP p6290pt (Mid-size Tower at least thats what it says on specifications)
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 - 2.66 Ghz (can't overclock since the motherboard listed here is stripped down of features and is bios locked)
Motherboard: MSI Indio MS-7613 1.0
PSU: 300W HP
RAM: 8 GB DDR 3 (DRAM freq: 665.0 mhz - NB frequency: 2128.0 mhz)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 630 GT with 4 GB ASUS (bought it recently, its more of a temporary solution, can run games very smoothly though, and with a better CPU and motherboard I can squeeze more frames from it)
Hard-Drives: 2x 1 TB WD-Cavier Green 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drives

The next challenge is not also finding a good price/performance component but ones that fit into this HP Case. I've heavily looked around the hardware stores in my area but the PROBLEM is I never know what to buy it, the indecision is unbearable when it comes to these things.

I appreciate any advice given. Thanks for your time. Stay cool

burntsmores

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
If you do plan on gaming, i suggest an upgrade in your video card. Also a better psu is a really good investment, like 700W+ ensures you have enough power for a lot of future rigs. Your gigs of ram are fine as most games dont use 4+

shenk

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

But what about the CPU and Motherboard?

I'll be getting a new PSU probably soon, but I'm not sure about the CPU and motherboard though...

The Graphics card ain't bad at all to be honest, in even fact it can run even the most recent games very smoothly that's why I said that with a better Motherboard and CPU I could in all likelihood squeeze a few more frames out of it..

Thanks for your quick reply.

Snowsniper2

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
My friend is running a GTX650 on his machine and he is using a first gen core i3 at 3ghz your cpu and motherboard dont really need upgrading atm just buy a new gpu power supply and also an ssd with a clean install of windows 7 would do the machine wonders
If you are thinking of replacing the cpu and motherboard you might as well build a custom machine as you will get a higher performance for the money and if you are replacing the cpu and motherboard its basically the same as building a new system

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Quite a shame about your motherboard, 750/760 are beastly overclockers. I can run mine at 4-4,2GHz.
Anyway, as someone already mentioned, you'd be best off with upgrading PSU, preferably good brand 600W piece such as Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, etc and GPU to whatever you can afford.
Current best bang for your buck are Radeons 7870XT (Tahiti LE)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiM10G7UyOg

Uh... 630 is a pretty bad card, barely any better than Intel HD4000