Sign in with
Your question

Major PC upgrade!!!

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2013 7:42:26 PM

I am looking to upgrade my computer, Budget is aprox £500-700, what do you guys recommend upgrading.

2x24inch monitors
I5 2310 2.9ghz
16gb 1333mhz
2tb hard drive
Ati 6670 1gb
Xps 8300 case (dell, good but small)
460w psu

Motherboard, I can't remember but shall definitely upgrade that.
Anymore info just ask:) 

More about : major upgrade

January 14, 2013 7:49:42 PM

I'd suggest a larger case for future expansion as your planning on ugrading Mobo, also you could improve ram speed to 1600mhz, which isnt all that expensive. A good psu is necessary, so i suggest upgrading it to a 600w+, though a 750w+ is a good investment for future builds. This is an example of a pretty cheap PSU upgrade
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EYV690/ref=as_li_s...
Though i'd suggest 700w+
Related resources
January 14, 2013 7:56:16 PM

is is decent pc, what it will be used for?

there is no point upgrading cpu/mobo as intel haswell will be coming in a couples month
January 14, 2013 7:58:15 PM

Just found my list so far what you guys think?

Corsair tx650v2
Corsair h100
Asus p8z77-v lk
I5-3570k
Corsair 650d
January 14, 2013 7:59:47 PM

It is used for gaming and intense 3d programmes like c4d and other photo editors like photoshop
January 14, 2013 8:03:33 PM

I shall upgrade my gpu to something like a 7770 to 7870
January 14, 2013 8:20:51 PM

^ exactly, get 7850 2GB right now and save money for future build :) 
January 14, 2013 8:31:59 PM

Okay what about CPU and everything else?
January 14, 2013 8:33:40 PM

^there is no point upgrading cpu/mobo as intel haswell will be coming in a couples month
January 14, 2013 9:00:11 PM

Okay I will be upgrading in October anyway
January 15, 2013 6:12:58 AM

So will the sockets be different for the haswell or will it be 1155 like ivy bridge
January 15, 2013 6:25:26 AM

afaik : it will be different, new architecture (tock) will always be a major change

i hope someone prove me wrong and give additional info
January 15, 2013 6:42:26 AM

AMD Radeon said:
afaik : it will be different, new architecture (tock) will always be a major change

i hope someone prove me wrong and give additional info

That's correct, the 'tock' is a new architecture which will be a new socket (LGA1150) and the 'tick' is a shrinking of the die process but with the same architecture.
January 15, 2013 3:31:39 PM

So what about the hard drive if I reuse it in the new upgrade will I have all my stuff and os that is already on it, i.e. my steam games. So I don't have to download them again
January 15, 2013 3:59:22 PM

I'm afraid you will need a fresh install.
January 15, 2013 5:57:50 PM

Of windows?

But will everything else stay like my docs and games?
January 15, 2013 6:45:21 PM

Yes a new copy of windows. Everything will need to be reinstalled.

You can transfer your important files to another drive, external drive or usb stick or something and move them back to your hard drive once its got a fresh copy of windows in the new machine.
January 15, 2013 8:04:25 PM

So there is no way I can use the same hard drive without losing everything, I have a 250gb external drive but that's not enough for 2tb. So what else can I do?
January 16, 2013 5:38:17 AM

My recommendation would be to buy an ssd. Use that as your main drive for windows, games and programs then use your old 2tb drive for data.
January 16, 2013 6:10:45 AM

Good idea I will get a ssd boot windows and other long loading program's, thanks completely forgot about that!

January 16, 2013 6:12:44 AM

What about desktop item, I just drag all the shortcuts in the desktop folder to the ssd and they will all magically appear on my desktop?
January 16, 2013 6:17:27 AM

If you're talking about shortcuts to programs/software then no that wont work, all programs will need to be reinstalled.

If your talking about short cuts to documents, im not sure, never really done that, but my guess would be no as the file paths for the short cuts would no longer be correct.

January 16, 2013 6:22:51 AM

Okay so photoshop and c4d, steam(and the games) will need to be reinstalled, even though I have them on the 2nd drive (original one)
January 16, 2013 6:30:35 AM

Are you sure that he can't just put his current drive in the new pc? It sure seems like you can, just install some drivers once you do.
Regardless, get an SSD. Definitely worth it. Also, if you get an SSD, there are multiple ways to just move the things without reinstalling. Just Google it, I've seen a few different guides about it. No sense in reinstalling. Google "SSD to HDD cloning software" and "Move OS and programs to SSD from HDD without reinstalling" you'll find good results.
January 16, 2013 6:46:57 AM

It is doable but you are switching out major components, if your previous build even manages to boot up, it won't stay running for long. You are changing lots of hardware which means different drivers...you need to wipe everything clean and start over new. The amount of time and heartache you would have to put into the old build to clean it of the old bits of driver will take significantly longer than just starting over.
January 16, 2013 10:12:54 AM

mikerockett said:
It is doable but you are switching out major components, if your previous build even manages to boot up, it won't stay running for long. You are changing lots of hardware which means different drivers...you need to wipe everything clean and start over new. The amount of time and heartache you would have to put into the old build to clean it of the old bits of driver will take significantly longer than just starting over.

There is a ton of software for cleaning the drivers off of it. It isn't that difficult, but now that I think of it, it's kind of stupid to do. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

The reason that you don't want to just clone the stuff is because the OS is optimized for your current computer, which is clearly much different than it will be by the time that you're finished upgrading. It is optimized in more ways than just the drivers though. Chipsets and processors kind of play a huge role =P You'll see better performance by doing a clean install of Windows. So, what I would recommend:
-Get an SSD
-Install it, leaving the HDD unplugged
-Install Windows onto the SSD
-Install all of the drivers that Windows doesn't install by itself
-Shut it down
-Plug the HDD up
-(Unsure if you can just copy it over, or if you'll need cloning software) Move programs, user profiles, and such over to the SSD.
-Move documents, pictures, videos, and all of that stuff onto the external drive and the SSD
-Wipe the HDD
-Move the documents and such back onto the HDD
-Optimize them the way that you like them.

You don't have to do it exactly like this, but this is how I would do it. Unless I manually deleted all of the Windows files instead of completely wiping it. This would be a little easier if you know what you're doing. If not, stick to wiping it haha.
January 16, 2013 12:33:02 PM

`cant call this a major update -.-
January 16, 2013 1:49:59 PM

tr1x- said:
`cant call this a major update -.-

One it is a major upgrade not update and two upgrading my case, motherboard, CPU, hard drive/ssd, gpu and psu IS a huge upgrade if not a full upgrade.
!