CM HAF 932
ASUS P6X58D-E
Windows 7
CM 120mm Heatsink
Corsair 750w
Light on 24x DVD
1 TB Western Digital
6g Corsair DDR3

The problem is that Runescape runs perfectly for 20-30 minutes. Then my actions will be delayed by half a second. A few minutes later my actions are delayed by 5-10 seconds.

Then I refresh the page, works perfectly for 15 minutes, then repeats. If I refresh the page again, it happens after 10 minutes and repeats. If I restart the computer again, it gets a good 20-30 minutes before it acts up again

Would more RAM or an SSD solve this?

Thanks for the help!

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I suggest Samsung SSD, here's a link: http://www.microcenter.com/product/402600/840_Series_MZ-7TD120KW_120GB_SATA_60Gb-s_25_Internal_Solid_State_Drive_(SSD)

It is better to setup and install a fresh Win 7 on it. In the BIOS you have to enable AHCI mode first before the OS installation.

Jvass

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I was thinking the same thing, but I have the same problem 6 hours away at home as I do in college. Also, the game runs fine on my laptop on the same connection.

Either way I'd like the SSD and RAM (i know it may not fix the problem) but if you had any other tips for this problem i'd appreciate it!

I'll definitely look into 64gb vs 240 for the SSD

Thanks!

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
your laptop runs them fine, right? then it's probably your OS.... your spec is very beefy i doubt you have notebook more powerful than your desktop.
If you have the fund, i really recommend ssd, the biggest you can afford. 240gb is great, that way you can put your program/games in there too.

Jvass

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I'm running Windows 7 on both my laptop and the desktop, why would it be that? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I don't understand.

And I'm definitely thinking about it, I think i'd rather spend a bit more money on a larger SSD, I know in a month I won't regret it.

Thanks for all the help!

G

i really suggest if getting an SSD that you go with a larger ~128 Gb SSD. going with a 64 Gb leads to quite a bit of micro managing - you'll end up putting most all your applications/games on a platter and pretty much negating the performance of an SSD.

with a ~128 Gb SSD you will be able to install ALL your apps on the SSD and just move your larger, less used "user files" (media and documents) on the platter.

also bear in mind that an SSD needs to have ~20% of its capacity free for trim.garbage collection to keep the performance optimal. the 64 Gb SSDs were more popular when prices where sky high. now the prices have severely dropped.

a samsung 840 pro is a very good reliable SSD. disconnect all drives but the SSD, install windows, connect a platter, move the default location for users files, DONE.

btw, so the desktop is having problems but the lappy is good with runescape?
whats the difference in graphics between the two? got the lastest drivers?

Jvass

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I'll definitely get the SSD, I made my mind up.

The problem is that Runescape runs perfectly for 20-30 minutes. Then my actions will be delayed by half a second. A few minutes later my actions are delayed by 5-10 seconds.

Then I refresh the page, works perfectly for 15 minutes, then repeats. If I refresh the page again, it happens after 10 minutes and repeats. If I restart the computer again, it gets a good 20-30 minutes before it acts up again

camohanna

Distinguished

I am pretty sure that that is the server.. its really crappy now because they are changing coding to suit the eoc.

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Hey, I used to play RS before EOC came out as well. Played it for many years and was sad to let it go after since it was a big part of my life. Well nonetheless the problem is VERY unlikely to be anything to do with hardware but more likely software. For example maybe java needs to be updated, there is a virus, or the browser. And even though the game runs smoothly on your laptop it might still be the internet service because the two have different wifi adapters. The adapter on your desktop might be outdated, that's what happens to me, i get better service on my laptop because its newer than my adapters.

Jvass

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

I'm playing on a college connection, but I had the same exact problem at home (which is 6 hours away..not the same connection)

My laptop also has no trouble playing on the same connection, and I have a friend that plays on it and it works fine.

Thanks for the reply, could it still be the connection? I really dont know

bob hays

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

^^^ my post above ^^^

camohanna

Distinguished

Bad ethernet port/wifi speed? could be playing on the old 54mb connections depending on your modem

Jvass

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Sorry I didn't see this post. It was a problem so I reinstalled windows, so I really don't think it's a virus if it continued after everything was wiped.

I've tried both Java 6 and Java 7, 32 bit and 64 bit (and on different web browsers)

I'm currently playing on a wired connection, I think next time I restart my desktop I'll try it on wireless! I don't have my hope up but still