CM HAF 932
ASUS P6X58D-E
Windows 7
CM 120mm Heatsink
Corsair 750w
Light on 24x DVD
1 TB Western Digital
6g Corsair DDR3

The problem is that Runescape runs perfectly for 20-30 minutes. Then my actions will be delayed by half a second. A few minutes later my actions are delayed by 5-10 seconds.

Then I refresh the page, works perfectly for 15 minutes, then repeats. If I refresh the page again, it happens after 10 minutes and repeats. If I restart the computer again, it gets a good 20-30 minutes before it acts up again

Would more RAM or an SSD solve this?

Thanks for the help!

More about : runescape isnt working

Related resources
January 15, 2013 2:25:32 AM

You're having problem running online browser game with your spec? Seriously? 6gb is plenty enough, i'd suspect your internet connection (ping time) instead of ram.
m
l
January 15, 2013 6:33:45 AM

I was thinking the same thing, but I have the same problem 6 hours away at home as I do in college. Also, the game runs fine on my laptop on the same connection.

Either way I'd like the SSD and RAM (i know it may not fix the problem) but if you had any other tips for this problem i'd appreciate it!

I'll definitely look into 64gb vs 240 for the SSD

Thanks!
m
l
January 15, 2013 6:56:43 AM

your laptop runs them fine, right? then it's probably your OS.... your spec is very beefy i doubt you have notebook more powerful than your desktop.
If you have the fund, i really recommend ssd, the biggest you can afford. 240gb is great, that way you can put your program/games in there too.
m
l
January 15, 2013 4:55:38 PM

I'm running Windows 7 on both my laptop and the desktop, why would it be that? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I don't understand.

And I'm definitely thinking about it, I think i'd rather spend a bit more money on a larger SSD, I know in a month I won't regret it.

Thanks for all the help!
m
l
January 16, 2013 12:47:21 AM

i suspect your desktop got infected with malware or bloatware... same os does not guarantee same performance, it also depends on installed programs (and also virus, malware, etc)
m
l
January 16, 2013 11:40:09 PM

I reinstalled windows two days ago =\
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 11:56:31 PM

You say you are having trouble running Runescape. I used to play before EOC on Pentium 4 with 3Gb of DDR-400 ram. Its not your ram, trust me.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2013 12:00:07 AM

Jvass said:

I'll definitely look into 64gb vs 240 for the SSD

Thanks!

i really suggest if getting an SSD that you go with a larger ~128 Gb SSD. going with a 64 Gb leads to quite a bit of micro managing - you'll end up putting most all your applications/games on a platter and pretty much negating the performance of an SSD.

with a ~128 Gb SSD you will be able to install ALL your apps on the SSD and just move your larger, less used "user files" (media and documents) on the platter.

also bear in mind that an SSD needs to have ~20% of its capacity free for trim.garbage collection to keep the performance optimal. the 64 Gb SSDs were more popular when prices where sky high. now the prices have severely dropped.

a samsung 840 pro is a very good reliable SSD. disconnect all drives but the SSD, install windows, connect a platter, move the default location for users files, DONE.

btw, so the desktop is having problems but the lappy is good with runescape?
whats the difference in graphics between the two? got the lastest drivers?
m
l
January 18, 2013 12:01:25 AM

I'll definitely get the SSD, I made my mind up.

The problem is that Runescape runs perfectly for 20-30 minutes. Then my actions will be delayed by half a second. A few minutes later my actions are delayed by 5-10 seconds.

Then I refresh the page, works perfectly for 15 minutes, then repeats. If I refresh the page again, it happens after 10 minutes and repeats. If I restart the computer again, it gets a good 20-30 minutes before it acts up again
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2013 1:41:53 AM

the temp of the 6970?
m
l
January 18, 2013 5:18:37 PM

Max is 64c degrees
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 18, 2013 9:04:38 PM

Jvass said:
I'll definitely get the SSD, I made my mind up.

I am pretty sure that that is the server.. its really crappy now because they are changing coding to suit the eoc.
m
l
January 19, 2013 5:47:21 AM

Nah it was actually happening a year and a half ago on the desktop :(  Lol
m
l
January 19, 2013 10:49:20 PM

Thanks everyone i just updated the title and main post to be more specific to the problem
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2013 12:55:28 AM

Jvass said:
Thanks everyone i just updated the title and main post to be more specific to the problem

Probably your internet then.
m
l
January 20, 2013 1:04:31 AM

Hey, I used to play RS before EOC came out as well. Played it for many years and was sad to let it go after since it was a big part of my life. Well nonetheless the problem is VERY unlikely to be anything to do with hardware but more likely software. For example maybe java needs to be updated, there is a virus, or the browser. And even though the game runs smoothly on your laptop it might still be the internet service because the two have different wifi adapters. The adapter on your desktop might be outdated, that's what happens to me, i get better service on my laptop because its newer than my adapters.
m
l
January 20, 2013 1:04:56 AM

camohanna said:
Probably your internet then.

I'm playing on a college connection, but I had the same exact problem at home (which is 6 hours away..not the same connection)

My laptop also has no trouble playing on the same connection, and I have a friend that plays on it and it works fine.

Thanks for the reply, could it still be the connection? I really dont know
m
l
January 20, 2013 1:07:05 AM

Jvass said:
I'm playing on a college connection, but I had the same exact problem at home (which is 6 hours away..not the same connection)

My laptop also has no trouble playing on the same connection, and I have a friend that plays on it and it works fine.

^^^ my post above ^^^
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2013 1:18:39 AM

Jvass said:

Bad ethernet port/wifi speed? could be playing on the old 54mb connections depending on your modem
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2013 1:19:13 AM

If you are only playing on wifi, i suggest plugging an Ethernet cable in and trying to see if it fixes it.
m
l
January 20, 2013 1:19:54 AM

bob hays said:
Hey, I used to play RS before EOC came out as well. Played it for many years and was sad to let it go after since it was a big part of my life. Well nonetheless the problem is VERY unlikely to be anything to do with hardware but more likely software. For example maybe java needs to be updated, there is a virus, or the browser. And even though the game runs smoothly on your laptop it might still be the internet service because the two have different wifi adapters. The adapter on your desktop might be outdated, that's what happens to me, i get better service on my laptop because its newer than my adapters.

Sorry I didn't see this post. It was a problem so I reinstalled windows, so I really don't think it's a virus if it continued after everything was wiped.

I've tried both Java 6 and Java 7, 32 bit and 64 bit (and on different web browsers)

I'm currently playing on a wired connection, I think next time I restart my desktop I'll try it on wireless! I don't have my hope up but still

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2013 1:20:44 AM

Good luck solving the problem
m
l
January 20, 2013 1:38:06 AM

Try downloading the client, I've noticed on my 4 year old laptop that it makes it run better, but not much. It's worth a try maybe.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2013 2:41:10 AM

ya know, being a bit off topic, i still have the flag for this thread and every time i come back i wonder why i'm here, what i said. then i see the SSD post and go, "oh yeah i hope this guy gets his runscape problem sorted out."

immaa rootin' for ya Jvass! kick its 455!
:lol: 
m
l
January 20, 2013 2:27:31 PM

camohanna said:
You say you are having trouble running Runescape. I used to play before EOC on Pentium 4 with 3Gb of DDR-400 ram. Its not your ram, trust me.

So you quit after EoC? I don't get why people are quitting over that, it's still the same game and it's not worse than the old system
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 20, 2013 6:37:16 PM

colaturka said:
So you quit after EoC? I don't get why people are quitting over that, it's still the same game and it's not worse than the old system

Not the same game i played for 5 years, community has gone downhill. I played for pking and pking is dead, so i quit. GF Maxed 80 att 85 def soa account. :( 
m
l
January 21, 2013 3:40:20 PM

camohanna said:
Not the same game i played for 5 years, community has gone downhill. I played for pking and pking is dead, so i quit. GF Maxed 80 att 85 def soa account. :( 

whats a soa account? and i completely agree with you. Its not the same game. All these new moves and bad updates, and the combat system is just not what runescape was about.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2013 5:23:57 PM

Storm of armadyl. I was basically maxed.

Mod Mark is just hungry for cash..
m
l
!