Jan 14, 2013
Hello,
I'm building a new rig:

3.4 gHz i5
ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard
Nvidia GT 680
8GB Ripjaw 1600 RAM
630W PSU

I put it together and used onboard graphics to install Windows, do all the updates, install drivers etc. When I went to upgrade my graphics card drivers it says it doesn't detect compatible hardware so I reboot and go into my BIOS. My BIOS has a tool that shows my board and what is plugged in where, it isn't detecting my graphics card.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS BELOW:
In BIOS settings I've made sure it is set to default to PCI-E graphics, not onboard.

The fan on the GPU is spinning, so it appears to be getting power.

I used my old PCI-E video card (5770) and my BIOS detected it, I put the 680 in my old rig and I got video through it. I am at a loss here. I don't want to RMA the card yet because I think it works, I'm just at a loss here.

Extra info: The 5770 I used to trouble shoot only needed one 6-pin power connected, the 680 needs two. I have a modular power supply and swapped PCI-E 6 pin connectors in case that was the issue.

I am at a loss as to what to do here with this, any help would be appreciated.

QUICK EDIT: I have cleared CMOS as well.

crunchdar

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I am only able to view BIOS with my onboard graphics, minus when I had my old card in. Also, I did get the 680 to boot ONE time. I did nothing different but after a reboot it didn't detect it anymore but I know it was detected because I loaded all the way into Windows and was able to install drivers.

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
delete amd and install nvidia.

If video is getting through using the 680's ports, then you will be using the 680.

If you are having a hard time with it and all, the simplest way is to reinstall win7/8 and re partition your drive