MSI Radeon 7970 Choppy Graphics / Blinking dots Problem

Hi guys, got a question. In my mind what I am experiencing must be a defective card but maybe I missed something... I will attach pics to clarify as I am not sure how to explain it. I bought a MSI 7970 video card off eBay New... I installed it on a brand new machine (custom built), and even just sitting at windows doing nothing there are these blinking dots (I have no idea what the technical term might be) - when I loaded Assassin's Creed III at max settings it was awful, I am attaching a pic of that as well.

So questions... is there any possible way in the world I am doing something wrong and the card is not defective? I instincts say no but I could be wrong. Drivers are updated as per AMD. Windows is updated, Motherboard is updated. The mobo is Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H btw so yeah it is compatible with the card.

Just looking for any last suggestions before I send the card back and buy a new one. Maybe not a MSI this time :/

9 answers Last reply
More about radeon 7970 choppy graphics blinking dots problem
  1. The dots don't happen to follow the images around do they? I had a problem like that and after replacing my GPU, I was told to try a new cable, then a new monitor, turns out the monitor was fried so my awesome friend just gave me his secondary one.
  2. Umm they kind of show up in specific places but not over the whole screen... and like white or black bg you can't see them.
    I bought 2 brand new monitors and both do it... so I suppose both could be bad but I am seriously doubting it. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to steal a friends and try lol
  3. Indeed, if they're new monitors though, I think a bad cable would be more likely, with mine the dots were green, and if I'd, lets say open a picture on my desktop where they should up, I would drag it around and the pixels would follow it.
  4. Just tried HDMI and DVI on both screens... no change. I wish it were that easy :(
  5. Well, what you have for a PSU? Graphics cards can be real sensitive to power, maybe trying a different 6 pin connector would do it too.
  6. Corsair 750... unfortunately think thats the only 6 pin I have available...
  7. Is it a TX? Then it should have four. I'm not sure about the GX, but since its the "gaming series" it would probably have four as well. The 6+2 pins also work there should be two of each. Either way it's probably not the PSU, in which case the next step that I can think of would be to try that GPU in another computer if you can get a hold of one.
  8. Hi Zorrotm

It occurs with my Saphire 7970 as well. Did you find new hints or a solution about this problem?
  9. zorrotm said:
    Hi guys, got a question. In my mind what I am experiencing must be a defective card but maybe I missed something... I will attach pics to clarify as I am not sure how to explain it. I bought a MSI 7970 video card off eBay New... I installed it on a brand new machine (custom built), and even just sitting at windows doing nothing there are these blinking dots (I have no idea what the technical term might be) - when I loaded Assassin's Creed III at max settings it was awful, I am attaching a pic of that as well.

So questions... is there any possible way in the world I am doing something wrong and the card is not defective? I instincts say no but I could be wrong. Drivers are updated as per AMD. Windows is updated, Motherboard is updated. The mobo is Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H btw so yeah it is compatible with the card.

Just looking for any last suggestions before I send the card back and buy a new one. Maybe not a MSI this time :/

http://i46.tinypic.com/20i8lmt.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/3494dqu.jpg

It is an Antialising Issue. Reduce the Antialising on the game (just one level) and you see that it will be ok.

I´m checking if it is a board or a game problem. In a few days I confirm to you.

Regards.

Lucio
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics MSI-Microstar