Sign in with
Your question

MSI R7850 2gb - White Spots!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2012 9:11:01 PM

Hi,

I recently purchased an MSI R7850 2GB Power Edition.

However, when playing games, I am getting white spots / dots across the screen. In BF3, the spots are constantly there. In Borderlands 2, they only show up when focusing on certain textures.

Here are some shots:

Shot 1 (Only shows up rarely, on certain textures and when looking at black space)
Shot 2 (Much larger spots. They are always there!)

The games run well, and the actual graphic rendering seems fine, but these dots just keep appearing.

Addition info: GPU and CPU are not overheating at all (very cool temps). I have the latest Catalyst Drivers and Motherboard BIOS.

This is a new build, everything is brand new, other than the HDD.
Specs:

Corsair CX500 PSU (38a 12v)
i5 3470
2x4GB G. Skill
Asus P8H61-MX USB3 Mobo
7200rpm HDD

Thanks for the help.
Anonymous
November 30, 2012 10:44:45 PM

Doesn't at all seem normal. It seems you've already tried updating some of the main drivers, so I doubt this is the problem.

Is there any chance you've overclocked this card? If not, was the card is already overclocked by default? You could try underclocking the card, but you shouldn't have to do this and I would return it if this was the case.

It may be a good idea to update your GPU BIOS if there is a new one released.

You could also check all the cables - inside and out - to eliminate any possibility of it being some cable somewhere causing the problem.

You could try re-seating some of the hardware.

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with your PSU; 500 W should be enough for this card, but be aware that if the PSU is faulty it could cause bad performance (which you're not experiencing) and/or distorted images I believe.

Run FurMark: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ and let me know if you get any problems here. Run it for a while and monitor the temps and let me know if you get dots with it.
December 1, 2012 6:03:22 PM

Hi,

yep it's definitely not the PSU.

I ran FurMark for 15 minutes and no white spots appeared. The temps were low, and never got over 65 degrees. I've also run MSI Kombuster, and got no spots.

I haven't tried under-clocking as yet, but hopefully that won't be the case.

I played Witcher 2 for half an hour and it ran very well and so far, no spots.

They are STILL appearing in BF3 and Borderlands 2, on certain textures. Is it a driver issue? People often complain about ATI drivers, but I'm not so sure.

The weird thing is the games run very well other than these spots on certain games.
Related resources
Anonymous
December 2, 2012 5:53:39 PM

Sometimes drivers can cause problems and it's possible it could be in this case.

Does using different graphical settings (resolutions and details) change anything? Does it make the dots appear more often or less frequently?

Like I said before, you could always try and update the GPU BIOS (if available).

If there is any Beta or newer drivers available you could always try them.

As with the overclocking, I don't recommend you do it as it may void your warranty.

Are you sure there isn't some other program or driver manipulating the problem?
December 3, 2012 12:22:40 PM

Anonymous said:
Sometimes drivers can cause problems and it's possible it could be in this case.

Does using different graphical settings (resolutions and details) change anything? Does it make the dots appear more often or less frequently?

Like I said before, you could always try and update the GPU BIOS (if available).

If there is any Beta or newer drivers available you could always try them.

As with the overclocking, I don't recommend you do it as it may void your warranty.

Are you sure there isn't some other program or driver manipulating the problem?

Hi again,

There should be no other programs causing this, as this was tested on a brand new Windows 7 installation. I tried the 12.11 beta drivers, and had no luck. The GPU bios are up-to-date.

Regarding the actual games, here's a run down:

Battlefield 3: The worst. White dots are larger, and they are everywhere!

Borderlands 2: Less common. Will show up when looking into black spaces (such as Bullymong Holes), but mostly appear when looking at black smoke and water textures.

The Witcher 2: Mostly appears when playing the game on Auto or High Settings. Terrible when playing on Ultra settings. They show up on all sorts of textures, such as the characters’ clothing & helmets. New Screenshot!

I don't have another system to test the card on, unfortunately.

Sadly, I am sending this back for RMA. I just hope they can replicate the problem on their end, otherwise I'll be truly confused...
!