Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Will my gtx 550 ti 1gb fit in my dell inspiron 570?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 30, 2012 9:48:23 PM

Hello,
I have a dell inspiron 570 and I guess ima gamer, I would like to play some games like, Chivalry League of legends, skyrim etc. I bought a gtx 550 ti 1 gig to make my gamin better. But when i tried to put it in it confused me, IDK if it wil fit, PLease help
a b Î Nvidia
November 30, 2012 10:52:00 PM

It should fit the PCIe X16 slot fine. What's confusing you? Is it too long? What is the make/Model of the card?

Your 300W PSU is a bit weak for that card, but it should be OK. The card requires 115W and draws 9.7A at max load. Dell always used slightly under rated PSUs, so it should work OK.
Score
0
November 30, 2012 11:13:00 PM

Umm if you have the card, how can you not know if it will fit or not? Put it in there. If you can it fits. If you cannot put it in there. It doesn't fit. That simple.

But if you don't know how to install a video card, look up videos on youtube.

Just a guess though, it should fit because the 550ti is a short card.
Score
0
Related resources
December 10, 2012 6:19:05 PM

well when i bought it it was pretty big compared to my friends AMD card and there were no plugs that wen into the slot (as you can tell im not experienced in this) will it work without the plugs in it?
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
December 10, 2012 8:02:27 PM

ButtcrackMcGee said:
well when i bought it it was pretty big compared to my friends AMD card and there were no plugs that wen into the slot (as you can tell im not experienced in this) will it work without the plugs in it?

What "plugs" are you referring to that go into what "slot"? Simply insert the card into the PCIe X16 expansion slot on the motherboard. You then have to plug in a 6-pin power cable from the power supply before it will work. Of course, after it is up and running you will want to install the driver for the GTX 550ti.
Score
0
December 13, 2012 10:10:05 PM

well when the card goes in the slot, the part where the screw goes in its about 1 cm off. its hard to explain, but the card went in al the way. Also i cant find the "6-pin power cable's " slot, idk where it goes into
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
December 13, 2012 10:34:34 PM

To get the screw in, simply push in a bit on the back of the computer case until the hole lines up. Sometimes the case gets 'sprung' out of shape a bit with age and use and needs some help.

The 6 pin PCIe power cable from your PSU should plug into a 6-pin receptacle on the card. Page 9 step 7 of this turotial shows where to plug it in: http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce-gtx/GTX_550_User_...

If your PSU doesn't have a PCIe power cable, you can use a Molex to PCIe power adapter to use any of the standard 4 pin power plugs from the PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
0
January 24, 2013 6:16:42 PM

ButtcrackMcGee said:
well when the card goes in the slot, the part where the screw goes in its about 1 cm off. its hard to explain, but the card went in al the way. Also i cant find the "6-pin power cable's " slot, idk where it goes into

if you still reading it.
GeForce GTX 550 Ti - 24A and a 400W PSU minimum - per MSI recommendations http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-...

Dell power supply cannot run 550 TI, PSU is about 350 or so watt.
Score
0
a b Î Nvidia
January 24, 2013 6:54:53 PM

According to this: http://www.hwcompare.com/13482/geforce-gtx-550-ti-vs-ge...
the 550ti only requires 116W at max (116W/12V = 9.7A)
According to this: http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264
the 550ti demands 152W at max (152W/12V = 12.7A)

Either way I would have no problem at least trying the card on that PSU. Card manufacturers ratings are always high out of deference to not knowing the quality of the PSU used. Dell always used good quality PSUs and were under-rated.

If you start getting re-boots or shut downs during gaming, then you will want to look for a PSU upgrade. What CPU is in your machine?
Score
0
January 24, 2013 7:11:06 PM

clutchc said:
According to this: http://www.hwcompare.com/13482/geforce-gtx-550-ti-vs-ge...
the 550ti only requires 116W at max (116W/12V = 9.7A)
According to this: http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264
the 550ti demands 152W at max (152W/12V = 12.7A)

Either way I would have no problem at least trying the card on that PSU. Card manufacturers ratings are always high out of deference to not knowing the quality of the PSU used. Dell always used good quality PSUs and were under-rated.

If you start getting re-boots or shut downs during gaming, then you will want to look for a PSU upgrade. What CPU is in your machine?


Unfortunately PCIE slot can supply only 75 watt, so it is still need supplemental power. Original PSU is too tight on watts, it is possible to use SATA to 6 pin connector to get power to video card this way, but who knows Dell PSU specs, not easy to find them, it might burn from overload and get motherboard with it. Other than this it always OK to try.
Score
0
!