GTX 670 drop in performance

StevenWhite1017

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Hello, long time reader first time posting.

I have had an issue and I know this is a good place to ask about it. Recently my graphic cards performance has gone down almost for no reason. I have an EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB graphics card and before yesterday it could max out Skyrim with no problem 57-63 fps with v sync but today I am getting really erratic numbers anywhere from 12-63 fps, I tried it out with Oblivion, Deus Ex Human Revolution, and Portal 2 with same results. I tried to benchmark my card with 3 different programs here were the results:
Resident Evil 5 Benchmark (everything maxed): Avg fps-118.6 fps

Mafia II Benchmark (everything maxed): Avg fps-27.0 fps

Heaven DX11 Benchmark (everything maxed 1 monitor): Avg fps-36.4

My system specs are:
Intel core i7-2700k @3.5Ghz (not OCed)
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2Gb with 310.64 bios
Dual monitors at 1920x1080 60HZ
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 @ 1600
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 Watt PSU
Asus Sabertooth Z77 bios 1708
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Things I have tried:
Using Vsync from the NVCP
Changing power management mode from adaptive to maximum performance
Reinstalling drivers
Using only one monitor
changing bios to use maximum power on motherboard
reseating the card
checking power supply

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, thank you.

G

If you installed the newest beta drivers, roll them back to the last WHQL ones. I have an MSI PE 670 and I had the exact same problem as you!

G

It might just be me but 310.XX drivers absolutely murder benchmarks. Gaming wise... I didn't really see gains.

StevenWhite1017

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I checked for updates with Windows and there are none. I rolled my drivers back to the latest WHQL, updated EVGA Precision, restarted the pc, and tried again. The game ran slightly better but the problem is still there.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Did the issue pop up right about the time you upgraded your drivers or a little before doing so?

Pertaining to rolling back your drivers, what method did you use: a reinstall, or a clean sweep (not just from the control panel add/remove) and a legit fresh install?

G

Try a proper fresh install of drivers, uninstall each one from add/remove programs and then CLEAN install the WHQL ones. I should've made that clear. Also, try leaving your GPU at stock clocks as you could be oc'ing to high, however that's really unlikely.