Computer shuts itself down randomly and won't power back on unless...

vunyos

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hello,

Computer shuts itself down randomly and won't power back on unless I unplug it from the wall. I just replaced basically everything in side except for the PSU. It's a 750watt so it should handle everything fine.

At first I thought it was the ram but it doesn't look to be that. Everything is a normal temp as well. Not sure what to do...
Any thoughts?

vunyos

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I have just put in...

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ Board
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10
GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

I don't know how to find out what my PSU is specifically but I know it's around 4 or 5 years old now. It worked fine with all my old stuff but I just hooked up my new stuff about two days ago.

At first I thought it was my ram but I don't think so anymore.

Thanks for all you're help in advance!

dane332

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
overtime a psu becomes less efficient while it may have been a 750 watt in the past it is most likely not anymore. It might be able to only push 400 watts or 350 etc etc.

does you computer shut off more often when you are doing strenuous tasks such as video gaming? HD videos? it truthfully sounds like a problem with your psu.

vunyos

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
No it will shut off here and there. I could play games for 10 hours and it will shut off or I could be browsing the web between 30 minutes to 3 hours and it can shut off. Not really to specific of a reason I can find. I thought maybe my board was getting grounded somehow but it doesn't look like it. I will try and get the info from the PSU soon.

That's enough. It is a mediocre power supply at best. Get a new power supply brands Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec. The power supply is shutting itself down due to something being out of spec. By unplugging it you reset it to try again. One of those times it won't shutdown and instead take a component or three with it.

This one is a great deal http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012
A CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply for $100 after rebate.

You can get a lower quality for cheaper (a bronze) and you can get a 750W for cheaper but that one will run your system and put out more juice than your 750W did when it was new.

Since when does Gigabyte fall into the cheap mobo pile? They and ASUS are the 2 best mobo manufacturers. Sure it could be a mobo but considering he has already replace everything except the power supply I will still bet on the power supply.

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Nah, I you got me wrong, I meant u would need a good chip set along with a powerful processor like a 8350 like a 990fx
Gigabyte is one of the best mobo manufacturer, and yes I do agree

compgenie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Oh man I'm not against u guys but I too never said it could not be psu right
Uh sorry jnkweaver I didn't read that he replaced everything. And sorry to OP too