Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it worth it.....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2012 12:14:25 AM

Well Folks,

Last question on this subject.....

I see the 7970 Matrix is back in stock, but for $510 is it worth it over the Sapphire vapor x 7970 which is $455??

I will only ever use a single monitor at 1920 x 1080 and I will not overclock them now or really even later down the line.

I'm going to pull the trigger tonight on one of them, so please help??

Cheers,
Alan

More about : worth

December 1, 2012 12:37:14 AM

Thanks for the response, but I heard that the gigabyte card has a good chance of having a bad coil whine???
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 1, 2012 1:13:39 AM

Cheers again the response, but I have researched the heck out of a lot of 7970 cards and it really does boil down to those 2 that I listed. I just need to know is the $55 difference worth it in my situation. But I genuinely appreciate the responses.
m
l
a c 266 U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 1:21:01 AM

alanburke62 said:
Cheers again the response, but I have researched the heck out of a lot of 7970 cards and it really does boil down to those 2 that I listed. I just need to know is the $55 difference worth it in my situation. But I genuinely appreciate the responses.

Worth is a value judgement only YOU can make.
The percieved difference in performance among similar cards is minimal.
You might decide based on the coolers, or the vendor reputation.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 1:23:26 AM

alanburke62 said:

Get the Vapor-X then. ASUS has a nice factory overclock but isn't worth the huge premium.
December 1, 2012 1:28:03 AM

Thanks geofelt, I guess that kind of answers the question good enough. You say, there is minimal difference in the cards performance. So for the sake of saving $55 I just might go with the vapor x then. I'm kind of a noob to all this, but from what I researched and some good advice from some off the lads on here, these 2 cards preformed the best. I am not a fanboy of any brand or company, but the 7970's seemed the way to go. I'd like your thoughts if yo have the guts of $500 to spend??
m
l
December 1, 2012 1:29:45 AM

Cheers Samuelspark.....I'm thinking that to. Just the Matrix was going for under $475 2 weeks or so again, I probably would of got that if I had acted in time. But the Vapor x looks good
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 1:38:33 AM

I have the MATRIX 7970 card and I can tell you that I think it's worth it. Over clocking is really simple because the GPU tweak program that comes with it automatically adjusts the GPU voltage along with the clocks. I can overclock it to about 1350 MHz without affecting my system stability at all. The same holds true for memory overclocking although at 1650 Mhz default the memory is already well above anything made by anyone else. The only issue I've seen is if I OC it too high, I get artifacts in some games. In WOW I can only get a very slight OC without artifacts, however, in Star Wars: The Old Republic I can OC quite a bit more.
Check out this review for more info. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2068/14/
m
l
December 1, 2012 1:51:34 AM

Cheers JK for the link above. I read it a couple of times. I guess it comes down to head over heart. From the very first time I looked at the matrix card, I wanted it and if I could get it for the $475 right now, I would get it. But looking at the benchmarks between the matrix and vapor x there is only ever 3 or 4 FPS between them. Is that worth the $55, I dont know. Also, the vapor x seems easier got. The matrix is always out of stock. So my thought there is if I every go crossfire the vapor x might be easier got a hold of in the future. I believe every word about the matrix overclocking though and how easy you say it is, but surly the sapphire is not that complicated if for some strange reason I did want to overclock it?? Seems like I may go for the Vapor x. The deal is up on that tonight, so its either *** or get off the pot!! Unless a small miracle happens than I will get the matrix, but I really dont think that will happen.
m
l
December 1, 2012 2:16:04 AM

Well, I just did it. I went for the vapor x....so thats it, I have just completed the purchase of all my parts for my first build. I think I spent about $1600 or a little less on my entire rig with monitor and even a nice chair :-) ...so now I just have to build it,lol. But thanks to all who posted there replys here. I appreciate all the input.

Cheers,
Alan
m
l
December 1, 2012 2:16:31 AM

Best answer selected by alanburke62.
m
l
!