Sign in with
Your question

Help please bad Vid Card or PSU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2012 3:32:25 AM

Short description -
(Extra details and troubleshooting steps below)

Setup new comp and everything was working fine then suddenly while websurfing pc shut off and wouldn't boot after that. Found that when nvidia driver is uninstalled pc boots fine.

Tried many different troubleshooting steps (see below for details) and I think the problem is either that the Video Card is malfunctioning or that the older PSU I'm using can't handle the load that is being placed on it (don't have a better psu to test this).

Mainly I'm curious if anyone can suggest any other troubleshooting steps and if not if I should go ahead and RMA the video card or buy a new PSU first?

Computer Information -

Motherboard Manufacturer:
GIGABYTE

Motherboard Model:
GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970

Video Card:
1 x EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

CPU:
AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX

Ram:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Power Supply:
APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 500W ATX Power Supply

Hard drive:
1 x Kingston SSDNow V+200 KR-S3020-3H 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal 7mm Solid State Drive
and
1 x Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Operating System:
Windows 7 64-bit

Monitor:
Hanns-G HG-216DPB Black 21.6" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Troubleshooting/Extra Details -

I recently purchased the listed graphics card from newegg.com and installed it in a new built system.

It worked for about a day then suddenly while I was surfing the web the computer shut off.

After that every time I rebooted it would get to the "loading windows" screen and shut off again (no bsod or error message, computer just immediatly reboots)

When I start the computer in safe mode it manages to boot up all the way so I did a system restore but the problem still occured.

After that I booted back into safe mode and disabled all the programs that were set to auto-start with windows but the problem still occurred upon reboot.

I again went into safe mode and this time removed all drivers and then after rebooting it finally worked so I started reinstalling each driver 1 by 1.

After I delete the nvidia graphics card driver windows loads its "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" (version 6.1.7600.16385) driver and I can boot into windows without having to go into safe mode and everything works fine with it. (note that before that first time the computer crashed everything was working fine with the nvidia driver installed)

I've tried installing the 306.97 310.61 and 310.64 version drivers.

I am making sure to right click and select "run as administrator" on the driver files to start them.

I have tried installing all 3 in normal mode and safe mode and making sure that AV is disabled prior to installing and I am selecting the option to do a "clean install" each time.

I have reformatted the pc twice and everything works fine until I install a video driver and reboot again.

I have not at any point overclocked anything.

I found at evga's support pages that there may be a conflict with the hd audio driver installed with the video card drivers and the hd audio driver for the sound card on the motherboard so I followed the steps listed here: EVGA Support Doc for disabling the offending drivers and reinstalling afterwards but the problem still occurs.

More about : bad vid card psu

a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 11:58:06 AM

500watt is enough.
There might be a problem in your card. Try a different nVidia card with the driver installed. Since you have tried almost everything this is the most probable answer.
!