Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive issue?

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2013 2:32:58 AM

Ok so I've got a unique problem happening with my new system.

The first time I don't remember if I put my computer to sleep or shut it down for the night, but when I woke up it was completely shut off. When I tried to turn it on it told me it couldn't boot correctly and asked me to put the windows boot disk in. I tried restoring it to an earlier point. That didn't fix the issue so I did some research and read that some people have had issues with the Windows 8 quick boot feature, especially after putting the computer to sleep. So I decided to shut down the computer the next time thinking I had put it to sleep the time before. It did the same thing this time. So I disabled the quick boot feature and this morning my computer started up just fine, but after it had been running for a couple of minutes, it reset itself. I was already running Windows and starting up my web browser this time, so I couldn't understand what would have caused the hard reset. I've only had the computer for a few weeks now so it's still really new.

Cyberpower recommended that I try and partition the drive and re-install windows. I booted my PC from the recovery disk and tried to go in and delete the existing partition, but when I went in to delete it, it didn't show any existing drives. I think this might be the reason why it sometimes will not boot back up. I tried resetting windows using the windows 8 tools, and it put my computer back to factory settings. I re-installed all the drivers and everything looked to be working ok. I tried putting the pc to sleep a few times and there was no problem. I shut it down a few different times and there was no problem, until today. When I went to boot up the computer after shut down, it started fine, until it got to the windows start screen. There it told me that "Your computer ran into a problem and needs to restart." It restarted and when it tried booting back up it gave me another error message. This time it said "Boot disk failure insert system disk and press enter." I put in the recovery disk again and tried to go into the custom install screen to see if it would show me the existing partition so that I could delete it like they told me to. Again it didn't show any available drives or partitions. I couldn't figure out why so I restarted the computer and this time it booted up just fine. I thought maybe there is a bad connection from the drive to the motherboard? I tried pulling out the hard drive and reconnecting the cables to it but that didn't fix it. What might cause it to not show any drives? Could it be a faulty hard drive? The first day I had the computer we did have 2 power outages, I've since bought a battery backup but could that have done something that would cause this? I can post my mini dump files if that would help. I feel like I'm a pretty savvy computer guy but I can't figure out what might be happening here. Thanks for your help!

More about : hard drive issue

January 15, 2013 4:15:47 AM

Flash the BIOS to the latest version
even if you already have th latest version
m
l
January 18, 2013 6:59:08 PM

I had never flashed my bios before but I did my research and it worked, but the problem persists. The first time is restarted after flashing my bios it did the same thing. The specs of my computer are as follows:

CPU:AMD FX-8350 4.00 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

HDD:2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

MOTHERBOARD:[CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Chipset Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ Touch Bios, Ultra Durable 2, On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

MEMORY:8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)

VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card

POWERSUPPLY:600 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series CX600 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

FAN:Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan

Plus monitor, keyboard etc.

What else can I do? I don't really understand what could be causing the problem. I'm guessing maybe it's a bad hard drive? I really have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

m
l
!