Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Stucked Guys Need Help.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2012 5:48:12 AM

Hello,

Hi guys i really need some help on this i got some budget to buy a thing for pc.So i decided to buy this motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H my current board is p8h61-mlx.But after i decided and tell my freinds am going for it some freinds go buy 7850 instead of buying this board.
So tell me guys what do you think about this? "BOARD" or "CARD".
And please dont answer any stupid question just answer any one of them "BOARD" or "CARD".

My Pc Specs:
i5 2500k @3.3 GHZ
ATI RADEON 7770
8 GB Ram Corsair
P8H61-MLX
Powersupply : Cooler Master GX550.

More about : stucked guys

December 1, 2012 5:53:13 AM

I'm confused about your question, are you asking what to upgrade GPU or Mobo?
m
l
December 1, 2012 6:09:17 AM

austinwillis81 said:
I'm confused about your question, are you asking what to upgrade GPU or Mobo?

Ofcourse am asking about a upgrade.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 6:12:32 AM

Buy a mobo, because 7770 is enough. Not much enough but still good.

But buying a Mobo is useless. I mean that buying mobo will not increase anything.
If you Mobo has PCI 3 slot and other useful features then you need nothing extra and take a better Card.
m
l
December 1, 2012 6:36:09 AM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Buy a mobo, because 7770 is enough. Not much enough but still good.

But buying a Mobo is useless. I mean that buying mobo will not increase anything.
If you Mobo has PCI 3 slot and other useful features then you need nothing extra and take a better Card.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H6... here it is my my current mobo .. no overclocking features .. no pcie 3.0 .. no 3.0 usb .. no SSd .. no crossfire or sli.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 6:41:25 AM

upgrade to 7850.
dont upgrade your mobo
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 6:44:01 AM

Get a mobo now.

Or else if you will upgrade in future then wait now and get a Mobo + GPU together.
m
l
December 1, 2012 7:10:01 AM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Get a mobo now.

Or else if you will upgrade in future then wait now and get a Mobo + GPU together.

Am going to buy one of them on this december so tell me .. what should i get mobo or card?
m
l
December 1, 2012 7:19:16 AM

HELLLOOOOOOOOOO GUUUYYYYSSSSSS.
m
l
December 1, 2012 7:33:11 AM

Id tend to suggest that you stick a decent sized new SSD in the PC ... if you don't have one.

The mobo does support overclocking.

The card is good.

Please when your asking for advice do be a bit considerate of the users here.

Asking people just to state board or card is insulting and not likely to get you many responses.

The users here are keen to help anyone who is courteous and thankful.

Good luck with your upgrade !!

:) 

m
l
December 1, 2012 7:46:20 AM

Reynod said:
Id tend to suggest that you stick a decent sized new SSD in the PC ... if you don't have one.

The mobo does support overclocking.

The card is good.

Please when your asking for advice do be a bit considerate of the users here.

Asking people just to state board or card is insulting and not likely to get you many responses.

The users here are keen to help anyone who is courteous and thankful.

Good luck with your upgrade !!

:) 

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/I [...] P8H61M_LX/ here it is my my current mobo .. no overclocking features .. no pcie 3.0 .. no 3.0 usb .. no SSd .. no crossfire or sli.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 7:57:32 AM

change "Mobo" the chipset give speed for processor.
m
l
December 1, 2012 8:04:33 AM

depends of what kind of "upgrade" do you want.

want more features on motherboard, get a new better board.

want better gaming performance? get a new better graphics card.

but, yeah, "upgrading" to a Z77 board is quite good too, since you are using a 2500K.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 8:33:21 AM

Wait wait wait !!!

Thats a crappy PSU. It has 12V rail with 1V going +/-.

And delivers on 330W on 12 V rail.

7850 HD need ~122W .So i would say get a new PSU .

And to you 1 Q :

What is your resolution ?
m
l
December 1, 2012 11:17:29 AM

prototype18 said:
Wait wait wait !!!

Thats a crappy PSU. It has 12V rail with 1V going +/-.

And delivers on 330W on 12 V rail.

7850 HD need ~122W .So i would say get a new PSU .

And to you 1 Q :

What is your resolution ?

No problem with the resolution cause i have a 19" LCD which can support 1280x1024.
m
l
December 1, 2012 11:18:30 AM

Between i decided to get GTX 660 can my psu handle that?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 11:20:44 AM

Well that 660 needs more power ~30W. And yes it is better than 7850.

I have the same resolution as you and with my 560 Ti i can kill every game . But my CPU limits me.

Thats its not going to happen to you :) 

So i STRONGLY suggest getting a new PSU .Than get the 660.
m
l
December 1, 2012 11:39:26 AM

prototype18 said:
Well that 660 needs more power ~30W. And yes it is better than 7850.

I have the same resolution as you and with my 560 Ti i can kill every game . But my CPU limits me.

Thats its not going to happen to you :) 

So i STRONGLY suggest getting a new PSU .Than get the 660.

What will happen if i use 660 on this psu?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 11:43:42 AM

You have to weigh up the options here, First of all like said going from a 7770 to a 7850 will give you a bit of a better frame rate in the games you play. It depends on what you use your Pc for the most.
Buying a new board would obviously allow you to put extra memory capacity in and a better Cpu at a later date depending on how often you upgrade. But I do have to say if the option becomes the new card then as said a new PSU may be required, or not just have a check to see if enough amps are outputted on the 12v rial to drive the 7850 if you choose to get it.

m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 12:23:55 PM

Jan3s said:

My Pc Specs:
i5 2500k @3.3 GHZ
ATI RADEON 7770
8 GB Ram Corsair
P8H61-MLX
Powersupply : Cooler Master GX550.

is this the guy who built that?

because that build is ALL cpu with taking some major short cuts with the GPU, motherboard and PSU.

first that PSU is far from any standard held today. the OEM of that model of CM was seventeem and if you would like a review of their typical handy work here is one on the 650 watt of the CM GX series:
http://hardocp.com/article/2010/11/22/cooler_master_gx_...

replace that before getting a better card - it works now because what you're running isn't hitting 200 watts, less than 50% of load. start getting into the 60% area and you take a substantial chance of it dying on you.

get a better graphics card - the 7770 is ok for gaming at lower resolutions but if you want any better, well changing the motherboard isn't going to help. with a GTX 660 or 7870 you be able to actually use that cpu instread of it sitting just above idle while gaming with a 7770.

forget getting a motherboard! the one you have is fine until you need/want an SSD to decrease load times in booting and applications; the only major draw back it has is not having SATA III. sure you can't overclock with it but, well, overclocking isn't going to compensate for a low end graphics card. i see you complained not having pci 3.0 but guess what, it supports 3.0 with an ivy cpu, which you need no matter what motherboard you have . . .

so to follow you directions, (though i wonder why i am):

CARD after you get a PSU!
m
l
December 1, 2012 12:35:53 PM

prototype18 said:
Change that PSU (idk if i can name it like this) Or keep it and watch you pc DIE .

:'( 
m
l
December 1, 2012 12:36:30 PM

Anonymous said:
is this the guy who built that?
http://cdn.hivehealthmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/head-up-ass.jpg

because that build is ALL cpu with taking some major short cuts with the GPU, motherboard and PSU.

first that PSU is far from any standard held today. the OEM of that model of CM was seventeem and if you would like a review of their typical handy work here is one on the 650 watt of the CM GX series:
http://hardocp.com/article/2010/11/22/cooler_master_gx_...

replace that before getting a better card - it works now because what you're running isn't hitting 200 watts, less than 50% of load. start getting into the 60% area and you take a substantial chance of it dying on you.

get a better graphics card - the 7770 is ok for gaming at lower resolutions but if you want any better, well changing the motherboard isn't going to help. with a GTX 660 or 7870 you be able to actually use that cpu instread of it sitting just above idle while gaming with a 7770.

forget getting a motherboard! the one you have is fine until you need/want an SSD to decrease load times in booting and applications; the only major draw back it has is not having SATA III. sure you can't overclock with it but, well, overclocking isn't going to compensate for a low end graphics card. i see you complained not having pci 3.0 but guess what, it supports 3.0 with an ivy cpu, which you need no matter what motherboard you have . . .

so to follow you directions, (though i wonder why i am):

CARD after you get a PSU!

- NVIDIA SLI-Ready Certified guarantees enough ample power and up-to date connectors for SLI graphics cards. that what's written in GX550 Features.
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 12:45:44 PM

Jan3s said:
- NVIDIA SLI-Ready Certified guarantees enough ample power and up-to date connectors for SLI graphics cards. that what's written in GX550 Features.

and?

you think that what is written on the box is right?

would you like to see a dozen or so reviews of PSUs that cannot provide the power on the written label?

here is the first - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
Quote:
Although some can see Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W as an option if you are not going to pull 550 W from it, we can't recommend this unit, as it burns if you try to pull its rated wattage.

edit:
oh and since you seemed to skip the review i posted:
Quote:
The Cooler Master GX 650W is a mediocre power supply for couple of years ago, and an outright failure today. The Build Quality of the unit is nothing to write home about (unless it is a warning), the topology is old and outdated, and the exterior is flash over substance. Coupled with this we have mediocre voltage, poor by today's standards efficiency, and out of specification DC Output Quality. One upping this poor showing is that fact that the unit was completely unable to complete our load tests at 100v AC input.
m
l
December 1, 2012 12:49:53 PM

Anonymous said:
and?

you think that what is written on the box is right?

would you like to see a dozen or so reviews of PSUs that cannot provide the power on the written label?

here is the first - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
Quote:
Although some can see Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 550 W as an option if you are not going to pull 550 W from it, we can't recommend this unit, as it burns if you try to pull its rated wattage.

edit:
oh and since you seemed to skip the review i posted:
Quote:
The Cooler Master GX 650W is a mediocre power supply for couple of years ago, and an outright failure today. The Build Quality of the unit is nothing to write home about (unless it is a warning), the topology is old and outdated, and the exterior is flash over substance. Coupled with this we have mediocre voltage, poor by today's standards efficiency, and out of specification DC Output Quality. One upping this poor showing is that fact that the unit was completely unable to complete our load tests at 100v AC input.

I saw a guy running i5 3570k with gtx 660 2GB Twinfrozer II on GX550.
m
l
December 1, 2012 12:53:34 PM

Here's another guy with this specs:
Intel i7-3770K, 4 x 3.50 Ghz (3.90 Ghz Turbo)
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Water cooling
MSI GTX 660 TWINFROZR III EDITION! (GX550 PSU)
RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz, TRAUMATIZR Series
SSD OCZ Agility 4 - 128 GB
500 GB, 7200 rpm
MSI B75A-G41 MILITARY CLASS III
m
l
December 1, 2012 12:55:03 PM

MSI GeForce GTX 660 2 GB, TWINFROZR III EDITION (overclocked)
CPU: Intel i5-3570"K"
CoolerMaster TX 3 cooler
RAM: 8 GB DDR3, 1600 Mhz
PSU: Cooler Master GX550 W
Motherboard: MSI B75A-G41 MILITARY CLASS III
m
l
December 1, 2012 12:58:46 PM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Get a mobo now.

If this was supposed to be funny, well done sir.
m
l
December 1, 2012 1:15:47 PM

Changing board brings up another problem. If you have an OEM version of Windows you will legally have to a new licensed copy since the old license is tied to the old MB. And if you think that it is easy to just plug the old HDD into the new MB and have it work, it isn't. There is the hastle of the drivers for the old MB to contend with.
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 1:19:25 PM

Jan3s said:
MSI GeForce GTX 660 2 GB, TWINFROZR III EDITION (overclocked)
CPU: Intel i5-3570"K"
CoolerMaster TX 3 cooler
RAM: 8 GB DDR3, 1600 Mhz
PSU: Cooler Master GX550 W
Motherboard: MSI B75A-G41 MILITARY CLASS III

so?
maybe they read the same box?

oh, yeah i think they are the same guy i posted the pic of; K version cpus with B75 motherboards - yeah they know what their doing . . .
:pfff: 
but you know, i have other things to do today than to argue with someone who asked for help.

cheers
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 1:21:26 PM

Well i would never buy that gx 550. Still we told you what reviews do write and it has bad voltage regulation. That 12 V rail goes from 11V to 13V on tests. So you asked our opinion and we said change it. You still dont want to do that .

CM dsnt make goos PSU (only silent series). Go for Corsair Hx/Tx/Ax ,, Xfx Pro Core /XXX ,, Seasonic ,,Antec ,, PC&P.

m
l
December 1, 2012 5:42:29 PM

I really don't think the OP need a new GPU a 7770 should be just fine for 1280x1024. But yes new mobo and I would go with a ssd if you can. The PSU isn't the best but it should be fine.
m
l
December 1, 2012 8:29:32 PM

BOARD or CARD? I've been watching the Graphics Card Hierachy Chart for years and with the exceptions of the obvious Directx support, the Radeon 4850 in Crossfire for $80.00, $40 each, is as good as a Nvidia Ti 560 for $200.00 or a HD 5870 or a 6950.

Computer Geeks has them new for $40.00 each and they do stand up to the hype. Try that out, it should hold you for six months or so. It has been in the round up for years now. It reminds me of some of the old 3DFX cards that you could run for years.

I could of added many more configs. But I thought I would stick to your Board or Card question.
m
l
December 1, 2012 9:16:20 PM

curley60 said:
BOARD or CARD? I've been watching the Graphics Card Hierachy Chart for years and with the exceptions of the obvious Directx support, the Radeon 4850 in Crossfire for $80.00, $40 each, is as good as a Nvidia Ti 560 for $200.00 or a HD 5870 or a 6950.

Computer Geeks has them new for $40.00 each and they do stand up to the hype. Try that out, it should hold you for six months or so. It has been in the round up for years now. It reminds me of some of the old 3DFX cards that you could run for years.

I could of added many more configs. But I thought I would stick to your Board or Card question.

Crossfire 4850s is a bad idea, way to power hungry and no need for him to buy more stuff that he needs. He already needs to get a new mobo. And with that he will need to get a new copy of windows unless he has the non OEM version. So no need to make him buy a new psu, mobo,window, and two outdated GPUs.
m
l
December 2, 2012 1:48:39 AM

austinwillis81 said:
Crossfire 4850s is a bad idea, way to power hungry and no need for him to buy more stuff that he needs. He already needs to get a new mobo. And with that he will need to get a new copy of windows unless he has the non OEM version. So no need to make him buy a new psu, mobo,window, and two outdated GPUs.

Well all i am going to do now is first ill buy a gtx 660 then a 22" or better (LCD/LED) and after that ill think about mobo and psu.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 10:35:16 AM

Jan3s said:
Well all i am going to do now is first ill buy a gtx 660 then a 22" or better (LCD/LED) and after that ill think about mobo and psu.

Ok last time i say this :

UPGRADE that PSU than other components. That PSU is the most important part of the PC as it supplys power to them and can fry them all if it is bad.

Orded of UPG

PSU
GPU
Monitor
MoBo
m
l
December 2, 2012 1:55:23 PM

prototype18 said:
Ok last time i say this :

UPGRADE that PSU than other components. That PSU is the most important part of the PC as it supplys power to them and can fry them all if it is bad.

Orded of UPG

PSU
GPU
Monitor
MoBo

Thanks for that much helping man but i dont have enough money to buy PSU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 2:01:11 PM

Well you should do that in order to protect you PC.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 3:28:23 PM

corsair cx 430 or vs450 is the minimum recommended psu
m
l
December 2, 2012 6:46:15 PM

prototype18 said:
Well you should do that in order to protect you PC.

Will see after trying gtx 660.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 7:57:31 PM

Good LUCK then !
December 3, 2012 12:27:46 PM

Best answer selected by Jan3s.
m
l
!