How can I convertmy Motorola Surfboard SB5100 Cable Modem to wireless

fuggles

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
what do I need to buy ?

Would this work ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Internet-Adaptor-150Mbps-Windows/dp/B003BKBGF4/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1324925471&sr=1-1

also, on the back of the modem is a rectangular, not the typical, usb slot, if that helps.
look
motorola_sb5100%5B1%5D.gif

okay. so what do I do ?

EDIT : I want to move my computer downstairs.

I cannot move the modem because it is connected to the wall.
I don't want to use an extra long wire either.

What do I need to buy so I can use the wired modem,

as a wireless one on my pc downstairs ?

There are cheaper ones, but you want one that will work across floors. The one I linked has good reviews for it's signal strength. One that's worse may still work, but maybe slower, have drop outs, etc...

Not that it's guaranteed that the one I linked will work for you, it really depends on the distance between the PC and the Router and what's in between them.

Yes, setup Router, note the wifi settings and password you select, install the USB wifi in the computer, it will come up with a list of wireless networks it sees. Pick yours, enter password, done.

jchambers2586

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
You can always use a cheap wired router and a power line adapter also. I like power line much better than wireless it's just as fast and you don't have to worry about signal loss.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
hang-the-9 is right, a wireless N router and copatible adaptor on your pc will give you better range than a wireless G router. Without any garantees it's probably the best solution.

faizal007

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012