No Sound Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim_24590

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
I have a HP DC7700 cmt computer tower and have no sound coming through a brand new motherboard after installation of Windows 7. My speakers are Sound Blaster speakers, and work with Windows XP Professional.

If I plug the speaker wire into the light blue output jack, I get some sound but it is mostly undecipheral. The green jack position gives nothing.

I have loaded the Sound Blaster system in accordance with all instructions with the system. Nothing seems to work. I get no sound at all, and that includes the normal sound that is heard when the Windows 7 system boots up. Absolutely nothing.

I have searched for the problem, and all indications from DXDIAG says the "No Problems Found" when the sound tab is clicked upon but when the sound test is made, I get no sound either.

Can someone please help me on this subject??????

I have been working on this problem for nearly 3 weeks now with no results. I am not a novice at this, and have been repariing and selling computers now for nearly 8 years without a problem of this nature.

So take a shot at this and inform me if you can.

Thanks,
Jim

Solution
Check out the motherboard's user guide. If you don't have it, you could find it online, or we may find it for you if you let us know the exact type of the motherboard.

(The original one has a nice document here, with a figure indicating where things go, but that won't help us, since the motherboard has been changed:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00768076/c00768076.pdf )

The internal speaker's job is to give beep signals about possible problems. One short beep at system start usually indicates that everything is OK. There are several different systems of beep codes, depending on the manufacturers.

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Did it work before the Windows 7 installation? What operating system was on it before?

What is the sound device's status in Device Manager?

Have you installed motherboard chipset drivers? Realtek audio drivers?

jim_24590

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

Yes, the sound system worked fine when XP Professional was installed.

Device Manager and Chipset drivers will have to be checked once the individual returns home today. I will advise you on this probably later this afternoon. Realtek drivers will be checked also.

Please be patient. Client has Legal Appointment this morning in Knoxville, TN.

Thanks,
Jim

jim_24590

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Realtek drivers and motherboard chipset has been installed. Still no sound coming to speakers. Tried new set of small speakers and got no sound either.

Cannot figure this one out.

Anymore ideas on this? Seems Windows 7 may have a problem with sound system and how it should work. It had no system on it and no hard drive installed. A 2 Terabyte hard drive was installed and then Windows 7 Professional was installed along with 4 Gig of SDram. Everything else seems to be working fine, except machine seems a little slow for all the power it has, and with Dual Processors.

Maybe that is my imagination. I am not sure.

All sound device device status says everything is working fine!! But still no sound comes from the output jack slot. Kinda strange to me.

Let me know what you think?

Jim

jim_24590

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Oh, one other thing. Seems when the system (computer) was purchased, it had Windows Vista on it, and he wanted that replaced with Windows 7. Hard Drive was replaced with the 2 Terabyte drive and Windows 7 Professional was installed. Not sure if sound worked with the Vista system installed. Maybe, and I think I still have the old system, the drivers for sound system in Vista would work as opposed to trying out all these new drivers and chipsets. Could not they be recovered from the previous drive as a possible recovery process?

Your ideas on that.

Jim

bassbeast

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010

Does everything show up under sound and hardware devices? Also what are the BIOS settings? Is the Realtek AND the Soundblaster both running? As I've had problems with 2 sound cards and found its best to disable the onboard. Be warned if its an older soundblaster Creative's support for Win 7 with older models is spotty at best, frankly the Realtek will most likely have better drivers unless the SB is an Audigy II or better.

Your best bet IMHO would be to first disable onboard in BIOS and then use Revo uninstaller on level 4 to clean out both the Realtek AND SB drivers, then install the SB drivers again without Win 7 having to deal with the onboard as well. Make sure you have the absolute latest drivers from Creative for the SB in question as it makes a BIG difference with SB cards. Finally if the SB card simply refuses to function (which I've run into with Win 7 and both Audigy I and SB Live cards) then you may be better off going with the Realtek. Do the above with the SB card removed and I have a feeling once you have the Realtek installed clean it will work like a charm. Frankly I've had nothing but trouble with the older and lower end SB cards and Vista/7, Creative really doesn't seem to offer the best support for newer OSes when it comes to their older cards, whereas the Realtek AC97 and HD Audio is so common they have great drivers for Win 7. I hope this helps.

jim_24590

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
This computer is located next door, and today I will go over there, ask to disconnect it and bring it over here to work on it with all suggested recommendations to see if any of it works.

Owner is a little knowledgeable, but has his limitations, but continues to try to fix it himself and does not want to admit that it might be beyond his knowledge and capabilities. I know for a fact that he has not tried some of the suggested software recommended by all the suggestions, but if I go there, he wants to try other things based on his limited knowledge. I gave the computer to him as a Christmas gift, and have only been able to watch as he has continued to have the problem. So it is time to recover it and go forward.

I will get back to all of you helpful people once I have tried all suggestions, and let you know if I have cured the problem.

I appreciate all the help each of you are providing.

Jim

jim_24590

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
To all respondents to my problem.

Finally got the computer over to my house to analyze the problem. Found out that the computer was fine, but his speakers had a broken wire in the cord leading to the speakers from the computer. Never had a real problem. Problem is solved, and my neighbor feels somewhat stoopid about the entire mess and all the time he wasted trying to get it to work. I called him over here to hear the sound coming through, and he was somewhat embarrassed of course.

Oh well, poop happens.

Thanks for all the advice. Yawl were very helpful.

Jim

jim_24590

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
One other problem noticed that I am not sure about. All sound works, with the exception of the small internal speaker in the front of the cpu.

Where exactly does this speaker plug into the motherboard (it is a new motherboard)? It is plugged in, but no sound comes forth through the speakers here at my house when I boot the system up from scratch. Could it be plugged into the wrong post on the motherboard?

All replies are appreciated.

Jim

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Check out the motherboard's user guide. If you don't have it, you could find it online, or we may find it for you if you let us know the exact type of the motherboard.

(The original one has a nice document here, with a figure indicating where things go, but that won't help us, since the motherboard has been changed:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00768076/c00768076.pdf )

The internal speaker's job is to give beep signals about possible problems. One short beep at system start usually indicates that everything is OK. There are several different systems of beep codes, depending on the manufacturers.

Solution

jim_24590

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
All problems solved now. Speakers were inoperative because of wiring problem in speakers. New speakers bought and are being shipped. Should cure the problems encountered.

Appreciate all the help and suggestions. I save all of this for future problems I might encounter when repairing other computers.

Again, thanks loads.

Jim Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.