What kind of parts to get for moderate gaming

bioober

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I want to build a new computer, but I have no idea how values or levels of benchmarks would really apply to computer parts.
So my question would be, for a moderate gamer (I want to play all the recent games, but I don't need them set at high settings)
1. Should I buy high end computer parts geared towards gaming and hope they last me a couple years more than how long they would last an enthusiast gamer?
or
2. Should I buy "good enough" gaming parts and replace them periodically?

Also which parts should I really invest in if I want to upgrade down the line? (PSU, MoBo, GPU, CPU, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated.

^+1

Processors and graphics cards will always be beaten by mid-range hardware in a 2-3yrs, no matter how much you spent on them initially. Them becoming obsolete is inevitable.
Best off sinking your money into components that wont go obsolete and periodically upgrading the components that will.

bioober

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks for the replies.
Also one more question, how long does it usually take for a CPU/GPU to become unusable in gaming standards? Would overclocking when unusable in stock extend this time period?

Depends on the game your playing and whether your willing to lower the settings to keep a high FPS.

I know someone who plays games like Portal 2 with an 8800GT and a Core 2 Duo, cant have the best settings enabled or the highest FPS but its playable.

Its all relative.

Unusable as in games will refuse to run or be absolutely unplayable, you mean? I'd say about 8 +-2 years. However, if you're a PC gaming enthusiast you'll want to upgrade at least the GPU every 2-3 years tops. CPU might last a bit longer, or it might not. It's all a guessing game anyway - but I guarantee you'll do better planning to upgrade frequently rather than planning to splurge out and trying to last longer.

TRENDING THREADS