Sign in with
Your question

Intel gaming build (clean look)

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2013 8:46:10 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of January hopefully

Budget Range: 1500$ +-

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, school work, surfing the web, music/movies

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.ca (can't think of cheaper in Canada)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Going to be using 42" panasonic viera plasma for monitor

Additional Comments: Looking for a really clean almost minimalistic build. Good performance for gaming. Will be playing swtor, skyrim, dishonored, etc. I've made most of the build already which i'm pretty set on but I like to hear opinions just incase. I really like the Lian Li, Fractal and SilverStone cases and trying to staying around spending 150$ spending on it.

What I really need advice on right now is the case and psu wattage I need. I already have an hdd (my book essential 2tb) and windows 7 home premium 64-bit. I plan on doing a bit of overclocking in the future.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xv8a

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Plextor M5P Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB Video Card
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 660W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000 Wired Laser Mouse
Keyboard: Filco majestouch-2 ninja cherry mx brown switch

Total cost: 1515.14$ with shipping

BTW the pcpartpicker link is just for a reference. I'm not getting parts from any of those sites on it. Most of the parts i'm getting are from ncix.ca, 2 of them from newegg.ca and 2 more from a local store.

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

January 15, 2013 10:34:29 AM

Closed-loop water coolers aren't worth the money imo, high-end air coolers will perform just on par with them.

Swap the Sabertooth for an ASUS P8Z77-V PRO or ASROck Z77 Extreme6. They are the same thing minus the useless thermal armor.

That RAM is heavily overpriced, there's literally no difference between 1600 and 1866MHz in gaming, and you're paying for heat spreaders that do next to nothing.

I suggest getting the Gigabyte, ASUS, or MSI 670 with the non-reference coolers. The EVGA isn't any better and it uses inferior cooling. You'll get noticeably higher temps with it.

PSU is great, though for a single GPU unit, 550w would be more than enough even with modest OC.
January 15, 2013 11:01:08 AM

Yeah, what she said (seewhatIdidthere).

Also, if you're "maybe" overclocking don't spend that much money in it. Honestly, just forget about it.

Here, I changed some of the components to better value ones

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Plextor M5P Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000 Wired Laser Mouse ($80.92 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1001.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-15 08:00 EST-0500)

The 7970 is more powerful than GTX670 but if you're into nVidia then you should stay with it.
Related resources
January 15, 2013 12:09:03 PM

^Oh, you. :lol: 
January 15, 2013 4:46:54 PM

@FinneousPJ why would you recommend a cheaper PSU? I'll take the advice on the lower wattage but I've read everywhere to invest in a solid PSU for down the road. I'll be going with that ram you suggested :p 

@excella1221 I was thinking the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO as well but I can get the sabertooth for 200$ and it provides a cleaner look for the build. I should have mentioned that, but i'd like to see where your opinion stands still just incase.

I've heard of a lot of failures on the Asus directcuII cards. Pretty much everywhere I look online for the best of the gtx 670 cards it recommends EVGA ftw's. The cooling on the EVGA ftw blows most of the heat out the back of the case. They also use the GTX 680 reference design and cooler. Read great things about their customer service as well.

For the corsair h100i my justification is it is at a good price for 100$ and does a great job on cooling while giving it a clean look (hence the thread title).

What i'm really looking for now is a case between the Lian Li, Fractal or SilverStone cases around the 150$ mark. I like them because they're very minimalistic looking and perform great (read from reviews).

Also if I do plan on overclocking more in the future. Would 550W still be good enough to run a single gpu? Or is 650/660 good insurance?

January 16, 2013 1:52:48 AM

Because 660w is overkill for your system even with modest OC's on both CPU and GPU; and if you're going to SLI/Crossfire in the future, 660w will prove to be either insufficient or too much on the edge.

You can get the asrock for roughly ~$50 less, if you want.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KTY4QU/?tag=pcpapi-20

I don't recommend spending a premium on gimmicks and names; also, the Sabertooth's armor is known to trap heat inside. The board also loses some ports to make way for its armor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

The failures in the ASUS cards are from the TOP version of the DirectCU II, which has since been discontinued. Just get the normal one or consider Gigabyte and MSI. The FTW cooling feature that blows heat at the back of the case is neat, but it's pretty pointless if the GPU is in high load and the card itself is heating up, that little reference fan won't do a great job.

If you really want the H100i, go ahead. :p 

Cases are mostly personal preference, I'll leave that to you. Just make sure not to get the wrong size and has the amount of drive bays you want. Also, a bottom-mounted PSU.

A whole system with a 670 will only take about ~350w at FULL load, that doesn't happen very often, if not at all. 550w would be plenty, but if you feel more at ease with a 650/660, by all means.
!