Sign in with
Your question

What would you buy with 600$!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2012 8:00:02 AM

Hey community! I'm trying to upgrade my rig, I want to replace my old video card. I have a 1000 watt power supply. I am a gamer/game developer, so i tend to like the cards with bigger ram sizes. :D  So the question is what would you guys spend 500$-600$ on. The 680s look great, but there are like 1000 models of it, so I'm left clueless of what company to go with.

Thanks for the feedback :D 

More about : buy 600

a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 9:14:46 AM

Nope Kepler is not good when it comes to compute apps, AMD and the last gen Nvidia's have much better compute performance, and I don't think you would like to have a last gen GPU!

Get a 7970 GHz Edition. It trumps the GTX 680 (not by much but it is cheaper) in gaming performance too. Since you are a Game Developer you should probably go for the Sapphire 6 GB toxic HD 7970 as the 6 GB could be useful for development
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 9:30:23 AM

Well than its better to go with 580/590. Forgot that about kepler.7970 would work too :)  Actually better

What apps you use ? Do you need CUDA?
m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
a c 122 ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 10:02:01 AM

So are you wanting GTX 680 recommendation or any recommendation reason i ask is i don't want to try and troll your thread this site has got really out of hand with amd fans trying to force amd cards down people throat which is not right imo.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 10:22:16 AM

Im saying that he is a developer, and what he does will not work out well with a Gaming only GPU, which the Kepler is. AMD HD 7000 has better GPGPU performance which is useful for development. If he wants only for gaming, then it would be fine with a GTX 680. But he is a developer too, so it might be a better choice to go for an AMD GPU even if he is looking at a GTX 680. If he wants Nvidia, then a Fermi GPU would be better, like the GTX 590, but I thought he would like a newer GPU
m
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
a c 122 ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 10:38:36 AM

Sorry that was not directed towards you it was meant in general the site has got really out of hand with fans of amd cards trolling threads.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 10:39:13 AM

Nvidia GPUs are still good in CUDA apps and CUDA acceleration is being used in some development/productivity software
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 10:44:40 AM

Well thats whay i asked about CUDA. Apps with cuda support are just great and nvidia does reallly good.

So if he gives us some more info :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 10:45:13 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Sorry that was not directed towards you it was meant in general the site has got really out of hand with fans of amd cards trolling threads.

+1
m
l
!