Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need Serious Help! GTS 250 black screen crashing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2012 8:05:24 AM

I currently have a Galaxy GTS 250 (1GB) graphics card. It seemed to be working fine until about a month or so ago. I noticed it always crashed (causing a black screen and for me to force shutdown my machine via button) when playing a certain game. At first I thought it was the game's problem, but now it does it with ANY game I play, within the first 3 minutes of running it.

Its running at default clocks, and has an idle temp of 79-85c. I thought maybe its overheating, or could it just simply be a driver issue?

I really want this fixed, I have $400+ of games I can't play...
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 9:44:45 AM

85c is a bit high, you may need to strip the cooler from the card, clean all of the thermal paste off the Gpu die and apply some fresh thermal paste. The other problem could be to do with the fact that the power supply unit has become unstable over time and use. so you may need to buy a new one for the problem to go away.
The first option is more likely as the temps are quiet high of the graphics card.
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 134 U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 9:47:43 AM

If its idling that high then its probably overheating under load. Make sure the fan ifs working and the fan and heatsink are free of dust. also make the case its getting good airflow
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 9:52:28 AM

i dunno how old your psu is but if you have a spare try it its pretty common for psu's to go every couple of years
Score
December 1, 2012 10:27:03 PM

My PSU is probably only about a year or so old. Its a Corsair, so I wouldn't expect it to be going bad already...

The card is clear of any dust, and the fan seems to function perfectly.

I'm contacting Galaxy to see if I can do an RMA.

If for some reason I can't, how would I go about downgrading to Directx 10.1, and 29x.x nvidia driver?

Score
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 10:32:00 PM

Xmsteel said:
My PSU is probably only about a year or so old. Its a Corsair, so I wouldn't expect it to be going bad already...

The card is clear of any dust, and the fan seems to function perfectly.

I'm contacting Galaxy to see if I can do an RMA.

If for some reason I can't, how would I go about downgrading to Directx 10.1, and 29x.x nvidia driver?

have you ran something like gpuz run in the background set it to record max temp and then play a game to see if it gets to the throttle temp which im assuming is somewhere around 100c
Score
December 1, 2012 10:45:24 PM

jasont78 said:
have you ran something like gpuz run in the background set it to record max temp and then play a game to see if it gets to the throttle temp which im assuming is somewhere around 100c

Can't play a game, the screen goes black within 5 minutes of booting it up.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 2:20:56 AM

Xmsteel said:
Can't play a game, the screen goes black within 5 minutes of booting it up.

wouldnt it be outta warranty it would be atleast 3yrs old wouldnt it being a 250
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a c 134 U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 2:24:01 AM

Possible the thermal grease is fried. If the card is out of warranty try new thermal grease.
March 12, 2013 12:07:29 AM

Was within the 3 year warranty and had it replaced with a GT640.
Score
!