So as not to highjack another thread I am starting my own. I am building a PC for Trading. I will not be playing any games whatsoever on it. I will surf web, have many windows open at the same time, and stream videos via youtube, and netflix. Primary purpose though is trading. I have 2 monitors with 1920x1200 Resolution that I will be utilizing until I can afford more. My goal is to build a machine that will last a few years, and will be very stable and fast. I have never built a rig, but what I see that is pre-built, just doesn't fit what I want or need IMHO. Opinions on brands have been formed just by an immense amount of online research, but I still have questions, or desire confirmation from people with more experience, and am completely open to suggestions. My questions/plans are:
1. CPU Is the I5 3570k sufficient for my needs, and would be going with a AMD be a mistake?...I know I don't need Hyperthreading so I feel an I7 would be a waste of money.
2. MOBO. I like the reliability of the Sabretooth line from Asus, is this Necessary? Again, I am looking for quality and durability.
3. Power Supply?? How much do I really need, and what brands or models are better and why?
4. Graphics/Video Cards? I have heard Matrox makes a quality product that is designed for industrial/professional use...opinions??
5. HD..I was planning on going with SSD for loading the OS, and perhaps a 1GB Seagate or Western Digital. Any thoughts?
6. Memory. I was planning on 16GB of Ram at 1600. Would 32 be overkill?
7. Case..I like the look of the Corsairs, figure in the $100-150 range will be fine. But again, could live with a 50-60 dollar one. I care more about main components, then case.
8. CPU Cooler..Again, I like the Corsair product, was thinking of the H100. DO I actually need one??
9. OS I can't stand the look of the Windows 8, and was thinking about the Windows 7 Ultimate, hoping for student discount.
10. Optical. Just figuring on a basic DVD burner..
Budget is around $1200 Plus or minus based upon what I need. If I could whittle it down, great! If I need to up the costs, so be it. Thanks for help in advance, and please be kind as this is my first go around.
1: an i5 is sufficient, as would be a decent AMD chip. k versions are for overclocking which you won't need
2: overkill. an h77 would be plenty
3: a decent brand (corsair, seasonic etc.) of around 450W is plenty
4: if you just want lots of monitors, matrox is pretty expensive. multiple low end AMD or nvidia gaming cards will offer you a cheaper multimon option
5: spot on!
6: 8 or 16GB at 1600 is fine
7: up to you!
8: You can get away with the stock cooler
9: if you can find it, W7 is a good option but ultimate is probably not needed.
10: sounds good
to what you're doing even a cheap amd will do, even youri5 3570k is way overkill
seasonic or corsair or some fsp which is also nice built but can never compare to corsair or seasonic on my opinion.
any older generation amd or nvidia gpu will do you well.
16gb is great and even 8gb is good
win7 pro is great for your needs.
imo you should spend on a case since it's what you will see everyday,just choose one that's pretty.
you can get away with less than 900$. choose wisely as you will be using it on trading so you don't need to go over hyped on things. just buy what you need and use the saved up money for pizza or beer or something you like.
This is an Intel build and I went blue on some stuff, you can even change the expensive case I put here well I only put it there because I love that case. but you can add in other stuff and get a cheaper case to save money like the antec 300 illusion which is also nice or those other corsair case, in this build you get a SSD 120gb for boot, and I think some parts here are more than what you need. I'll put a AMD build in a few min pretty much everything is the same but I'll try to look for red and black hehehe
Edit: all the current promo's I saw earlier when I was looking around are not included there, you can get it much cheaper btw if you buy now
btw don't forget to mix and match whenever you find something you don't like or if you prefer something else, but either from the 2 rigs above should do well on what you want to do.
just to let you know the AMD build below can OC if you want although was aiming for a black and red but didn't find much XD
Edit 2: btw you can even go cheaper on the intel by going with a cheaper case and other stuff, and with the amd even if you go phenom II x4 should be ok too if you want. the 600W psu is plenty and you can even go lower or remove the aftermarket cooler when you don't want to overclock and just keep it the way it is. should still be fast to what you plan to do with your system.