Keyb and mouse delay at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbke

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Hello,

When I boot and the Windows 7 desktop appears I can't use my keyboard and mouse for about 5 seconds. As a matter of fact none of my USB-connected periphals are available at that point.

I have to note that it's my first system with a lightning fast SSD. Booting Windows to the desktop takes only 10 seconds. Maybe it's just too fast for everything to initialize?

Anyway, it's slightly annoying and I wonder if anything can be done about it.

Keyboard: standard USB Logitech keyboard
Mouse: Steelseries Xai USB
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro Gen3

Solution
USB initialization is a part of the windows boot process so they should be up and running before there is any log-in window.
Possibilities:
1) bad/wierd USB device? Unplug all usb devices except for the keyboard and mouse, or even try a different keyboard and mouse, and see if that solves the issue.

2) bad controller? try switching the keys and mouse to a different pair of USB ports. Each pair next to each other (left-right on a tower, top-bottom on a desktop) is on a different USB controller, so try them on a different pair.

3) lost drivers? Check your event log to see if it is re-installing the drivers for them every time you boot. Granted with an SSD the process would be nearly immediate (on my wife's SSD most items are ready to...
USB initialization is a part of the windows boot process so they should be up and running before there is any log-in window.
Possibilities:
1) bad/wierd USB device? Unplug all usb devices except for the keyboard and mouse, or even try a different keyboard and mouse, and see if that solves the issue.

2) bad controller? try switching the keys and mouse to a different pair of USB ports. Each pair next to each other (left-right on a tower, top-bottom on a desktop) is on a different USB controller, so try them on a different pair.

3) lost drivers? Check your event log to see if it is re-installing the drivers for them every time you boot. Granted with an SSD the process would be nearly immediate (on my wife's SSD most items are ready to use before I can move my hand from the plug to the device).

4) Reset the BIOS/UEFI? have you tried doing a reset on the switch/jumper, and then go into UEFI and load the optimized settings? Is USB set to OS control in the UEFI?

Solution

blackbke

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Alright, I've done some more thorough testing and I could narrow it down to my Steelseries Xai mouse. When it's connected it delays initialization of all connected USB-devices. When I disconnect it or connect another mouse there's no issue at all.

Let's head to Steelseries support...

Status
Not open for further replies.