Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Rough idea of total power consumption

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2013 11:09:34 AM

I know there are many online sites to calculate the total and recomended power consumption of the system.. but I get confused by those many options most of which I know nothing about.
My current system configuration is:
Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.1GHz [rated 65W. does it include the fan that cools it??]
Intel DH61WW mobo
2 x 4GB g.Skill DDR3 RAMs
1 Seagate Baracudda 500GB hard disc rated- [12v 0.52 A | 5v 0.74A]
I usually have no USB ports occupied.. I use the usb port to occasionally copy paste from pendrives.
I DO NOT have any optical drives on my system.
I have a router and a LAN cable directly goes into my mobo.
I dont think that I have any sound card(does one buy it?) or any other card. I only had bought the things i mentioned.
Now, I have a local PSU rated 300W for the 12v rail [12v 25A]. How much power is consumed by the existing system?
I am planning to buy a graphics card. Dont have enough money right now to buy a PSU. So, what is the Peak consumption in a GPU so that I can put it in safely??
Can I put in a HD 6570[rated as peak ~65W] without the fear of frying up my whole system?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2013 11:17:49 AM

25A should suffice for your system WITH the new GPU.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2013 11:21:46 AM

the cpu fan and hard drive take min amount of power. i would not load that cheap ps to more then 200w. if you can find a video card that run in the 130w range..you should be fine. the card you picked out should be fine.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 105 B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2013 11:24:30 AM

You have the CPU which is 65W under full load. As a worst case scenario you can assume the mobo/RAM will consume 30W, though its likely less.
The HDD's power consumption according to the specs you gave would be 6.25W on the 12v rail.

So you have a rough 100W consumption on the 12v rail, which is the important one as thats what powers pretty much everything. You have a potential 200W of headroom, which is enough for up to a mid-range GPU. But chances are the PSU wont have the connectors for more than a low end card.

I suggest a HD7750, most powerful card you can get that doesnt require any power connectors. Due to the limits of the PCI-Express slot, it could only consume 75W at most, though its likely much less.
Sapphire HD7750. $95 ($10 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 15, 2013 11:27:45 AM

thanks guys.. :)  I am very apprehensive about frying up my board. I cant afford another pc if I manage to damage this one somehow... So along with the card my PC shouldnt draw up more than 250W at peak. Dont want to push that cheap PSU upto its rated 300W limit on its 12v rail.... Hope it works out. :) 
Score
January 15, 2013 11:36:05 AM

manofchalk said:
You have the CPU which is 65W under full load. As a worst case scenario you can assume the mobo/RAM will consume 30W, though its likely less.
The HDD's power consumption according to the specs you gave would be 6.25W on the 12v rail.

So you have a rough 100W consumption on the 12v rail, which is the important one as thats what powers pretty much everything. You have a potential 200W of headroom, which is enough for up to a mid-range GPU. But chances are the PSU wont have the connectors for more than a low end card.

I suggest a HD7750, most powerful card you can get that doesnt require any power connectors. Due to the limits of the PCI-Express slot, it could only consume 75W at most, though its likely much less.
Sapphire HD7750. $95 ($10 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ya, but the fact is that I am on a very tight budget as I put up my whole pc last month. I will just buy this 6570 or 5670 for now and save up money to buy a new PSU and a new GPU. Thanks anyways..

By the way, I had another querry.. My sata hard drive has 3 ports. One wide port that goes into the PSU. and other 2 4pin ports. One of them is connected to the motherboard. The other 4 pin port is not connected. and there is a port on the mobo too right next to the previous one marked as sata1 as far as i remember. I do have a cable that fits in and can connect these two.. are they supposed to be connected? currently only one 4pin wire connects the mobo and sata..
that was a confusing paragraph I know. :p  :p  bare with me! :p 
Score
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2013 11:42:40 AM

I have also wondered what that 4pin is for as well. Think its a leftover thing from back when you had to set slave/master drives.
You only need the SATA data and and power connections to make the drive work.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2013 1:25:38 PM

some of them are size limit jumpers for older os and mb.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2013 5:19:40 PM

lifesamd said:
I know there are many online sites to calculate the total and recomended power consumption of the system.. but I get confused by those many options most of which I know nothing about.
My current system configuration is:
Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.1GHz [rated 65W. does it include the fan that cools it??]
Intel DH61WW mobo
2 x 4GB g.Skill DDR3 RAMs
1 Seagate Baracudda 500GB hard disc rated- [12v 0.52 A | 5v 0.74A]
I usually have no USB ports occupied.. I use the usb port to occasionally copy paste from pendrives.
I DO NOT have any optical drives on my system.
I have a router and a LAN cable directly goes into my mobo.
I dont think that I have any sound card(does one buy it?) or any other card. I only had bought the things i mentioned.
Now, I have a local PSU rated 300W for the 12v rail [12v 25A]. How much power is consumed by the existing system?
I am planning to buy a graphics card. Dont have enough money right now to buy a PSU. So, what is the Peak consumption in a GPU so that I can put it in safely??
Can I put in a HD 6570[rated as peak ~65W] without the fear of frying up my whole system?

70-75 watts DC when running something like Prime 95 and Furmark or OCCT PSU
60-65w just stressing the cpu
Score
January 26, 2013 12:57:24 PM

Best answer selected by lifesamd.
Score
!