What Do You Think of This Laptop?

koolx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
i need to ask u smart guys a question. i'm thinking about buying the samsung series 7 chronos (Model: NP700Z5C-S02UB) laptop. i want to use it for gaming but i'm not a serious gamer. its got a resolution of 1600 x 900.

given my limited budget which this laptop's price falls under, do u think its a good laptop for games now and for the future? again, keep in mind that i'm not a serious game, just casual one.. but i do like playing games. can battlefield 3 and devil may cry 5 be played on it smoothly enough?

here are the specs:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Series+7+15.6%22+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive+-+Titan+Silver/6774657.p?id=1218806576740&skuId=6774657

koolx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012

hi wolf.. yes i understand the whole desktop vs laptop thing when it comes to gaming. but i need to get a laptop not a desktop. but considering that this is a laptop, again, do u think its good enough to play battlefield 3 and devil may cry 5 smoothly?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Based on the information I've been able to find, the graphics card within that laptop is just at or just below the minimum system requirements for both games.

Will it run? Probably.
Will it run smoothly? Possible, but I doubt it. If it does, it will be a very low settings.
Will it run games for the next two years? I doubt it.

Sources:
Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Hierarchy chart
BF3 Blog posted minimum system requirements
Game Debate - Devil May Cry 5 System Requirements

Looking at the minimum graphic card requirements for each game, I found the NVidia listings on the hierarchy chart. I then found that the discrete version of the GT 640 was listed below each of the minimum graphic card requirements. The mobile version of the GT 640 was not listed, but generally, the mobile version of cards are lower in performance than their discrete counterparts.

If you absolutely must game on a laptop, then you absolutely need to pay for one with a gaming capable graphics card. At your current budget, I seriously doubt you're going to find one at Best Buy.

This one from Newegg: lenovo IdeaPad Y580 (59345715) is the same cost, but has a better graphics card. It should be ok for playing those two games, but I'm still against it.

-Wolf sends

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I've seen a GT 610 run BF3 on ultra with like 10 fps, so on low presets it should be fine. People are too picky anyway, 25FPS is pretty buttery IMO, but if you're really picky and have to have like nine trillion fps so you can brag about your laptop it's probably not a good choice. BF3 isn't as demanding as some think. Plus the resolution on that laptop isn't 1080p (but it's a 15.6" screen so you can't really tell that much) so that cuts the graphic demands ALOT. Just sayin. You don't need a 10,000$ laptop to max out bf3. My old gateway plays it on low at 5-12 fps, and it was like 300$ on sale in 2009.