Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advice on a homebuilt

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2013 2:11:46 PM

I recently built a new PC trying to get a good mix of value and performance (which I am sure is harder than I am led to believe). I will include the specs below but one of my main reasons to build the computer was to start to carry over from console gaming to PC gaming. I felt what I built would be able to run most game pretty decently but benchmarks so far are maxing out at about 21 FPS, which is far from optimal. 60+ would be ideal but, heck, I'd take 40 at this point. Most game I have played (Hitman Absolution, Far Cry 3) have struggled to run just at medium settings. Given the stats below, are they any upgrades or suggestions you have for the system? I am running dual graphics with the Radeon Card and the GPU in the processor.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
Motherboard:ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3)
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Green WD20EARX 2TB
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/09/12 20:05:54 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: AMD A8-3850 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7914MB RAM
Page File: 2167MB used, 13658MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6570
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6759)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6759&SUBSYS_31901682&REV_00
Display Memory: 1859 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2254 MB
Shared Memory: 3700 MB

More about : advice homebuilt

a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2013 2:28:41 PM

Well. Try to turn off crossfire and use just the discrete gpu
January 15, 2013 2:35:40 PM

I will try that and bear with me because I pretend to know a lot more about computers than I actually do, wouldn't disabling the crossfire possibly make it worse since the crossfire is supposed to boost performance?
Related resources
January 15, 2013 2:36:08 PM

No offense but you could have got a better PC for nearly the same price but since you are stuck with your current system, the most you can do is overclock those GPUs to give you an increase of about 3fps.

If you want more you will have to invest on a better GPU AND CPU
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2013 2:36:44 PM

Tbh that card is quite old and not a particularly good one. I wouldn't expect it to get good frame rates.
January 15, 2013 2:38:30 PM

For a first homebuilt, I think the fact I got a fully functioning PC is the real accomplishment there but I agree, I could have built a better one performance-wise in hindsight. But yes at this point, its just about working with what I have currently.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2013 2:43:24 PM

Don't worry, not everyone can get it right the first time. Unfortunately there's little you can do that's going to improve the situation to a respectable stand point other than getting yourself a new GPU.
January 15, 2013 2:59:57 PM

mikerockett said:
Don't worry, not everyone can get it right the first time. Unfortunately there's little you can do that's going to improve the situation to a respectable stand point other than getting yourself a new GPU.

I appreciate the honesty. I will try the first poster's suggestion of running just the discreet gpu and see if that accomplishes much. Worst case, learn to build a better computer!
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2013 5:18:06 PM

not to be a buzzkill here but green hdd are lowest quality of all wd hdds and are not particularly made to runn system, their main purpose is just data/media storage. If i'd be you i'd be on my guard for this hdd performance
January 15, 2013 5:32:56 PM

butremor said:
not to be a buzzkill here but green hdd are lowest quality of all wd hdds and are not particularly made to runn system, their main purpose is just data/media storage. If i'd be you i'd be on my guard for this hdd performance

Thanks for the heads up. I felt the price point was a little too good to be true so might something I need to replace in the future.
January 24, 2013 11:20:51 PM

Best answer selected by sucnirvka.
!