Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Urgent need of temporary case

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2013 3:40:29 PM

Hi

I've ordered all the parts for my new computer and they should be arriving within the next two days
I had planned my build around the NZXT Phantom 820 but my supplier told me that he was incorrect and would be unable to get me the case before the release date in China. So I have to figure out which cheapish case I can buy to tide me over until the case is officially released here in March.

My system:

i7 3770K
Sabertooth z77 Motherboard
Noctua D14 CPU cooler
Sapphire 7870XT
SuperFlower 650 Platinum modular PSU
2*SSD Raid 0
2*3TB HDD
2*2TB HDD
Bluray Burner

I'd like a case I can fit all this into for around $100
If there is not enough room for all the hard drives I have a bunch of docks I can stick them in.
I need a case that is big enough for the Noctua D14 cooler
This will be a temp case that after 2 months I will try resell
Thanks

More about : urgent temporary case

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2013 4:04:59 PM

Why spend $100? Spend $50 on the HAF 912. Very solid case with good cooling at a very low price. It's got plenty of CM room and most of the body is metal, so it's a good deal stronger than many other budget cases. It isn't the best-looking case, but if it's just temporary that doesn't matter.

It also has a lot of storage bays, so once your better case arrives you could use it as the base for an NAS build.

Edit 2: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php...

Edit: It'll definitely fit all of that. 4 5.25" bays, 6 3.5" bays, 2 dedicated 2.5" bays, plus room to mount more if you get creative.
January 15, 2013 4:16:40 PM

JMer806 said:
Why spend $100? Spend $50 on the HAF 912. Very solid case with good cooling at a very low price. It's got plenty of CM room and most of the body is metal, so it's a good deal stronger than many other budget cases. It isn't the best-looking case, but if it's just temporary that doesn't matter.

It also has a lot of storage bays, so once your better case arrives you could use it as the base for an NAS build.

Edit 2: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php...

Edit: It'll definitely fit all of that. 4 5.25" bays, 6 3.5" bays, 2 dedicated 2.5" bays, plus room to mount more if you get creative.

That seems like it might work.
Is the case thick enough to fit my cooler though? the width is only 175mm.
I'll have to take out some of the harddrive trays though because its too short for my video card. Is the tray removable or do I need to cut it out?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2013 4:43:21 PM

It should be. I have that case and it fits my Hyper 212 Evo with no problem at all. Specs show that it is 230mm thick.

A quick Google search shows that yes, the cooler will fit. Here's a guy who has one in his 912 Plus, which is the same case with a few added features (same size): http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=43412

Keep in mind that you'll need low-profile RAM to fit underneath the D14 - I saw that you didn't mention RAM in your OP.

The middle HDD tray is removable, as is the bottom SSD tray.
January 15, 2013 5:09:54 PM

Thanks.
I guess I misread the specs on the coolmaster webpage. I looked at the pictures and thought it said 175mm for the cases width. I guess they were talking about cooler height. I've got some super low profile memory so thats fine.
I'll order the case tomorrow and try swap the drive bays around to give room for my video card. Since the case is only $50 even if I have to drill some new holes it doesn't really matter.
January 15, 2013 5:10:20 PM

Best answer selected by harpener.
!